Another newbie here!

Hi All,

Yup, another 'hello' post!  I recently bought a 1972 Spitfire in blue from a classic car auction.  It's got a couple of issues (namely rear camber and some lighting), but i'll be looking at them over the next few days to see what's needed.

I'm pretty handy with vehicles (my VW transporter means that I have to be!), but this is my first classic British car... so need to get a set of imperial tools!!

Anyway, here's a couple of pics :)

Leigh

20220322_143014.jpg

20220322_143022.jpg

20220322_143033.jpg

20220322_143043.jpg

Welcome to the mad house  forum, always room for one more!

When you've had chance to check out the problems with the car ask away and I know you will get plenty of answers, advice and if you need it encouragement & support.

2 minutes ago, johny said:

Looks very nice but yes looks to be sitting too high at the back. I wonder if theres a clue in any bills you got with the car as to whats been done on the rear suspension?

I believe it's had poly bushes fitted, so potentially something to do with that.

17 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

Hi and welcome to Triumph ownership, Leigh !

Nick

Thanks... but the question is... how quick is Qu1ckn1ck?

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Welcome to the mad house  forum, always room for one more!

When you've had chance to check out the problems with the car ask away and I know you will get plenty of answers, advice and if you need it encouragement & support.

Thanks - I've had plenty of help with my VW ownership over the years, so I know the benefits of a knowledgeable group!

yes its high , i would do as suggested loosen all the pivots  and see if ti settles  retightenn when its on the deck 

excessive rear toe in will make the suspn  climb , when driven forwards .  does it lower when reversed ??

as for imperial spanners  

M11 = 7/16af     M13 = 1/2"af   m15 = 9/16"   m17 = 11/16af    m19 = 3/4"af    so all close enough to get at most fitting

Pete

When you say 'pivots', are you talking about the leaf spring mounts?  I've never actually worked on a car with leaf springs before, so until i've seen it up close (which I haven't yet - as you can see on the pics, I'm doing some work on my VW!) I'm a little bit out of my depth.

Cheers,
Leigh

Rear Suspension - Thrust Bar and Shock Absorbers : Canley Classics

there are pivot points  at end of spring 

in the main bearing trunion block

each end of the tire rod 

all need to be left a bit loose and tighten when sitting on the road 

if you loosen them and its still high suspect the spring or the shockabsorbers are holding it high

when it come to geometry you dont need a laser just a tape measure will give you a good clue

have a browse at 

Hi Leigh!

Welcome! 

To add, you may not be aware, but the rear wheels should be like this  / \  Well, not quite that much, but noticeable,  yours are more ! !. This can happen if you jack the rear end up wheels off the ground and lower it again. It goes back to / \ once the car's moved forward or back a couple of feet. If it doesn't there's a problem. 

Doug

2 hours ago, jokeruk said:

I believe it's had poly bushes fitted, so potentially something to do with that.

I fitted poly bushes to my GT6 recently and they didn't alter the ride height one jot. Look elsewhere my friend. Welcome to the forum wherein lies everything you will ever need to know!

Indeed, changng bushes does not affect ride height, unless somebody did the rear ones up with teh suspension hanging (but with polybushes I think that doesn't matter?)

Could be new rear spring, load a few sacks or snad and do some hump backed bridges to work the suspension, that may help.

Or it could be as simple as the car has just been jacked up and not moved? Or rear tracking? Seized rear trunnions?

But if all that is fruitless, a lowering block will sort the issue.

If you dont have access to a WSM. this is what your rear end looks like.

image.png.2ad74549e417c4d1755a90f2fd93cf2a.png

A Car laid up for some time on blocks/stands might conceivably take a set compounded by possible seized pivot/joints, On my 13/60 for example Item 7 was so seized I resorted to the Slitting Wheel on an angle grinder, cut the bolt and replaced the whole.

But mine is a Full "ground up" job. 6 years and running.

Pete

On 22/03/2022 at 15:28, johny said:

or maybe the new bushes were bolted up tight in the air rather than when the car is back on the ground so effectively locking them in the wrong positions?

I'm pretty sure the Poly Bushes swivel on the the crush tube, unlike originals, so not an issue?

41 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I'm pretty sure the Poly Bushes swivel on the the crush tube, unlike originals, so not an issue?

The ones on my 13/60 where completely siezed solid. hence resorting to the Sliting wheel.

Pete