Polished Aluminium Rocker covers & GT6 bonnet

AidanT

from the club shop brochure   its only restriction is not for use on MK3 GT6 so it should be ok with all the others ?????

i have the one club cut the fins off to aid clearance  it didnt work bought from Bern's  Bazarr  its now on my 2000 with lots of clearance  

the front stud nut is also a contender for putting s ding in the bonnet of a GT6 or even a Vitesse

ever thought about lowering the engine ???  now  there's a plan   

Pete

This was the on I was thinking about

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202724632596?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MzOAHDPYTGC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vwrVelPjRQS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Club shop also has the same I believe under GT6 and is probably the best price but I just remember a comment from somewhere 

Aidan 

club shop is £80 incl vat   + postage 

dont forget to geta flat neoprene gasket  lowers height and stays in place on the flat surfaces 

( i like to think I prompted the idea  of  on getting these made )  the cork ones on these covers is just a joke 

made a note to fwd there is no exclusion mentioned in the   on line shop .

Pete

24 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I bought the club alloy cover and neoprene gasket but it still hit my bonnet on a Vitesse! I must have a tall engine😂

I had my pressed cover powder coated satin black and looks great. 

Iain 

Do you have a picture Iain?

I was quoted £60 for a powder coat, so not really that different in pricing - I am struggling to decide!!

24 minutes ago, AidanT said:

I think it keeps the original part but looks better in black. My friend Simon who owns Vulcan powder coat didn't have time to chrome powder coat so painted it black. He also has a smart bit of kit that will in a vacuum chamber deposit metal coating from a sacrificial part using a plasma technique. He was telling me he chrome plates champagne bottles for people with more money than sense. The process heats to just over 20C so doesn't spoil the champers! Only £1k per bottle, you might get a discount for a case.... 

Iain 

IMG_20220814_155448.jpg

IMG_20220814_155501.jpg

1 hour ago, AidanT said:

I was quoted £60 for a powder coat, so not really that different in pricing - I am struggling to decide!!

That’s quite a lot for powder coating in my experience. I just recently paid £80 for a Spitfire hood frame plus a small box full of other odds and ends. 

25 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

I have posted on this subject before: Mk3 GT6 bonnet damaged by and the damage to the rocker box cover. Middle photo= the solution.

IMG_20220603_114258326 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20220603_114303930 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20220603_114314043 - Copy.jpg

Absolutely right.

However you choose to modify your GT6 is your business, but please, whatever else takes your fancy, leave the rocker cover standard.

Been there and thinking of getting the t-shirt printed!

Nigel

On my Vit (mk2) the front fixing for the rocker cover is an OEM fitted bolt rather than a stud and nut. I'm puzzled why the GT6 pics all have a stud and nyloc nut fitted. I understand that the clearance is tighter on GT6's, with Ali cover, but I still checked the bonnet clearance with a large blob of blutac on top of the Ali rocker cover on initial fit!

Gav

On the Mk 3 even the front one of the three studs is shorter (although the front and rear are reversed on mine!). As for dropping the engine, the sump only just clears the steering rack in standard position... The standard cover polishes up okay - as below.

Gully

Engine - Nov 2020.jpg

Before changing any rocker studs to bolts check that the tapping doesn't go through to the water jacket, made that mistake on my 2L Vitesse early this year, answered on this forum.

I use an aluminium rocker cover with front fins removed with a standard gasket, picture also shows offending bolt.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_20211120_161323.jpg