Virtual Fiddle and Fix - Would it Work?

Paulfc

I find the forum invaluable and wondered if it could be made more so by the use of tele-conferencing. I don’t think this has been mooted previously and if it has, apologies, but could TSSC members with a particular issue/problem be hooked up via Zoom and the like for practical, virtual “hands-on” advice with someone (many someones perhaps?) who has the experience and knowledge to assist, direct to wherever their car is?

There would need to be some formalities established to lay down the rules of engagement. I wonder too, if this could be facilitated via the Club so it is a TSSC membership benefit and members know they are dealing with other members.

I suppose it’s just a variation on the “fiddle days” held at the HQ which aren’t practical for many to get to.

My Son, has this Internationally, (M_S Teams?) it`s part of his job too. Last week he was hosting meetings on 3 continents simultaneously, from my Motorhome on the driveway. Not bad for a Mere 55/59mbs connection?.

Why was he in the M-H?. His mum is having Chemo; and he was self isolating having just flown from Texas, one more next Tuesday and we get a break.

How many TSSC members would/could sign up though is a moot point?. But interesting thought?.

Pete

There is a guy in Washington state who started a conference call about slot cars (Scalextric) way back in 2020 and he is nearly his 200th I think... He posts it on YouTube without editing and has brought in a little money. He advertises it on forums and places and he is even surprised how well works out.

I only mention this because while I think a zoom call for specific issues is good maybe a monthly "chin wag" would be good too...

2 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

There were plans to film at Twiddle Days should we do another one.

Doug

Remember the old VHS video that the club brought out, many moons ago? Parts of it were like watching paint dry but in fairness it was a good step-by-step live time how-to guide for many of our cars.

Might be time for an updated version? Otherwise we could have a video reference section on the forum, but it would need to be well monitored and regulated.

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Remember the old VHS video that the club brought out, many moons ago? Parts of it were like watching paint dry but in fairness it was a good step-by-step live time how-to guide for many of our cars.

Might be time for an updated version? Otherwise we could have a video reference section on the forum, but it would need to be well monitored and regulated.

A youtube channel would be the simple choice. 

A video assistance call could be set up, but it would need to be informal rather than administered by the club.  Whatsapp video to video call, and help with spcific issues, where to adjust stuff etc.

This yank company has a lot of basic videos on their yootoob channel. It should be simple for the club to emulate with various items and add or update/upgrade as time goes on. It would be a really valuable resource. Head office could have a special section on....the web-site. These are a couple of examples. Yes they are America and some are a little lacking in the health and safety areas, but I have found some of them to be very useful. I must stress that I have no connection with this company in any way. I don't think that there is anything in them that can't be done at HQ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2kizc557mc8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LN0cIRDG68

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7daO787j2E

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWLKNPQ4ROM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOGx_8DalCc

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If a copy exists, surely converting it and uploading to YouTube would be straightforward. It can then be a resource for all - linked off the website and promoted to new members. However, I'm sure significant caveats are required in current times to avoid any liability falling on the Club should someone try to sue following using the advice (akin to the statements in The Courier accompanying Malcolm Huxtable's articles).

Gully 

Video digitizing is not terribly hard but not trivial either.

Depending n how it was shot and the quality of the play back equipment you cab get really good results.

I used to do conversions a lot because it was the only way to share my PAL (European standard for analog video) videos with my Mom in NTSC (North American standard for video) land but that is over 15 years ago now... much easier now that the native recording are digital...