Car cover

Piglet

Earlier this year I bought a stormforce cover when I had to store a car outside while some building work was going on.

The fit was good, and I had zero issues with damp or scratches. However, I fitted the optional security lock because it's an expensive cover and I didn't want it going walkies!

I bought the Halfords all season car covers when I moved house - reportedly breathable, thick and fleece lined and a reasonable price. Perfect for 3 months whilst I sorted the garage BUT can't comment on longevity. I worried about wind scuffing maybe a separate fleece cover underneath?

That was the issue some years back with a Caravan Cover. After a winters use, it took me ages to polish out the tiny scratches. After that I just waxed it and left it uncovered.

Wash and wax and a fleecy cover, with the Car cover over it might be OK for short term use though?.

OR, something like this if you have the space for it? https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garage---da/

Pete

To keep an air gap between the cover and the car in winter I have a system on elastic straps from front to back and foam pipe insulation. Seems to work well. Whenever possible in good weather take the cover off to allow the car to dry out and turn the cover inside out for the same reason. I put a couple of rechargeable dehumidifiers in the car as well. Make sure you have at least one strap that goes under the car, stops the cover blowing away in strong winds.

I used a fleecy lined cover on my Dolly Sprint with a vinyl roof for 3 years in Melbourne Aus winters and hot summers weather without an issue. No snow or ice but 40 plus summer days.

It Was a good quality cover the fleecy lining I think made it alright! The inner fleece never got wet, what about putting a blanket on the roof first

You get what you pay for and a good outdoor cover is pricey; I bought one of the LIDL versions for £11 and the first shower of rain went straight through it. "Protects from rain, ice, snow, tree sap and blossom." It didn't, not even slightly.

I've tried other versions that damaged paintwork and flapped about in the wind, so that holes appeared amazingly quickly, so anything with a frame that keeps up off the bodywork is good or as the gang here says, just a cockpit cover.

I tried one - but just for one winter.

Can be a wee bit windy in the winter here (anyone carrying an umbrella is a stranger), but even with extra ropes and weights and frequent fiddling and readjustments, came to the conclusion it was really more trouble than benefit and the interior still seemed to “mist up”.

Thanks lads. I'd love one of those little garages but no room for that and a gazebo is just asking for trouble! Those Stormforce covers look good and they make one bespoke for a Spitfire...or cars that size anyway. Might be worth a punt.

Alex

Well, I've had 3 quality car covers over the past 9 years (3rd is still newish), as car is parked on the street. I think I would have had some rot issues with body if not (old seals/poor fit). I think my car had some sort of tough paint/clear coat, which has helped with any moisture (which will happen in winter) and with paint wear, due to cover moving (does have some very fine swirl marks, which are not very noticeable, unless you look hard with the sun on it).

So for me, a cover appears to be really positive.

• 2 weeks later...