YOUR CHANCE TO BUY BRITAIN’S BEST HERALD

Pimp my Vit

A Triumph Herald that has had more than £60,000 lavished on its renovation is going under the hammer next month – for what is likely to be a tiny fraction of that amount.
     Hampson Auctions is selling the 1967 12/50 saloon in its 11 March sale at Mavericks in Flintshire and comes with more than 1000 photographs chronicling its five-year restoration between 1998 and 2003. The fully re-built Triumph also comes with 37 separate multiple-page documents detailing every expense undertaken by its former owner, adding up to a total of £60,512 – or more than £96,000 in today’s money.

Hampson’s managing director, Zach Hamilton, told Classic Car Weekly: ‘The quality of this car is unbelievable – I don’t know if it’s the best Herald out there but it’s certainly the best example that I’ve ever come across. It has been restored meticulously with every nut and bolt accounted for and with photographs covering absolutely everything.

‘It’s a real labour of love, especially when you consider that you could have bought two Jaguar E-types at the time for the amount that the restoration cost.

‘I can see that whoever gets this Herald is really going to enjoy it – I can just picture them rolling back the Webasto roof and having a blast in it on their way to a show.’

The restoration included a bare metal re-spray, a process that involved the shell being sandblasted, the chassis fully refurbished and powder-coated and the engine re-built. Since then the Herald – which the restorer sold due to ill health – has been kept in dry storage and MoT records indicate that it has only covered 600 miles since 2005. The Petrol Blue classic will also be given a voluntary MoT ahead of the auction.

Classic Car Weekly’s markets editor, Richard Barnett, reckons that the unique Herald will sell for more than its £6-8k pre-sale estimate, given the market’s current appetite for classics with big-money restorations behind them, including a 1959 Ford Consul that made £31,700 last October, a 1961 Vauxhall Cresta that sold for £29,250 and a Triumph GT6 auctioned away for £40,500.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.42.05.png

• Like 1

Looks like Gunmetal (same as my Vit). Classed in the grey section of Triumph colours. Appear to look more grey in sunlight and more bluey when overcast I've noticed.

It was a rarer (maybe unpopular?) colour at the time. I do think it looks classy and so far is my favourite colour for Vit/Herald, though I do think the lighter colours sort of suit the model better generally, though I'm not keen on them (maybe that doesn't make sense?

Anyway, anything apart from bright red 

If you need some more pics it is listed here:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1523771

don’t forget the 12.5% buyers fee to be levied on the hammer price - I smiled at the description of  recent restoration - 20 years ago :) 

I’m sure someone will become the proud owner of a very nice car though.

…….. Andy 

33 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Anyway, anything apart from bright red 

Dave! Heralds look their best BRIGHT red with a white stripe.

6 hours ago, clive said:

Very classy I reckon.

Heralds, classy? I love Heralds but classy?!!

DVLA says this car is grey. 

i saw a grey Ferrari last summer. Why?!! What sadness in your life convinces you grey is a good colour for ANYTHING?!

I did once have a grey suit, but that was when I was blighted by WORK.

Doug

4 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Dave! Heralds look their best BRIGHT red with a white stripe.

Doug, you may be joking about the stripe?.  I do think the stripe is a bit gimmicky and detracts from the stylish, gracefull, contained elegant proportions (steady on), esp when it goes onto the front lamp surrounds on Vitesse.

9 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I do think the stripe is a bit gimmicky and detracts from the stylish, gracefull, contained elegant proportions

Dave, it's a Herald.

My ex-brother-in-law had a red one with a white stripe, the girls he pulled in that!!! I've always liked them.

Doug

Wrong, wegewood blue with a white stripe including light srrounds is the best combo on a vitesse. So much so that is teh colour scheme I painted mine. The one I have coming is plain white, and as I am only custodian, it will stay that way. It does have red seats though...

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

i saw a grey Ferrari last summer. Why?!! What sadness in your life convinces you grey is a good colour for ANYTHING?!

There are plenty who disagree - grey has been the most popular new car colour for the last 5 years in the UK.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/business/these-were-10-most-popular-car-colours-uk-2022

Slightly less popular in the United States - I think it is no.3 there

…….. Andy 

Grey ! - Surely there  must be more than just   “fifty shades”.

It will go out of fashion as surely as 1970s Avocado bathroom suites, but for now grey still seems the reflex decision  for those who wish  to “modernise”  their home- for  floors, carpets,curtains,  furniture, garden furniture , fences snd sheds ,kitchen cabinets,- even for.. “white goods “.

43 minutes ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

Surely there  must be more than just   “fifty shades”.

I did a summer job at a computer manufacturer back in the early 1980s. They had decided to update their systems image by ditching the beige-and-black colour scheme... for grey. To that end they had a local powder coating company produce a selection of available shades or grey to compare. The selection included both full black and full white. On that basis, my first Vitesse was "grey", as is my GT6.

• Sad 1