Horns (Sorry!! I've read previous threads - honest!)

Colin

The horns draw a fair current, so for them to work the switching circuit needs to be below 1 ohm. The steering coupling is part of that circuit, so you're looking for less than an ohm, which is the region where the meter isn't very accurate and the quality of your probe's contact with things becomes a significant factor.

You should probably use the "200 ohms" setting rather than the "diode" one, though, as the diode setting displays voltage at an unspecified small current.

33 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

What is the value/s on the screen, to look for for continuity, some continuity, no continuity?, as have no idea

Dave, if it's 1 there is no circuit ie the wire is broken or there's no electrical path between the multimeter probes. Zero is a perfect reading but a lot of my "good" circuits read 0.1'ish. I'm sure the electrical engineers here can elaborate further. It's a really handy check that has been very useful during my dash tidying. 

Iain 

Cracking stuff, fellas! 

Yep - the 'bus' comment was an inadvertant (lucky) use of word.

Good news:- I must've done this same job many moons ago (25 yrs+) as I mullered a rather skinny tagged wire as I tried to clean it up - I note there was a twisted wire threaded through the nuts & bolts I wasn't to use - presumably this would have been the original earth from time of manufacture.

Anyway, have made a new Earth, reassembled it and the horns blare plenty loud!! 

Thanks to All for continued on-going help. Photo of previously made earth (2 photos) and my latest (3rd)20230211_143038.thumb.jpg.682e22e6c471121fe8f275dad5e925da.jpg20230211_152227.thumb.jpg.bc91e74d4e229acd501a14657486ec47.jpg20230211_173748.thumb.jpg.4fff1ec73ad816f9db862415dab1e7ab.jpg. Let's hope it's another 25 years before it all needs re-doing!! 

19 hours ago, Iain T said:

and it's much more forgiving than 415v 3 phase! 

Amen to that!. I took a "belt" from a Ship`s 415v switchboard on one ocasion, the concensus was I only survived because of the heavy rubber matting on the deck?, Getting hit by 220Volts D-C is bad enough. We "lost" an alternator, one time, and spent several hours dead ship drifting in the North Sea, while we took sections of "buss bar" out of the switchboard, to allow the other 2 alternators to be used. Interesting times. Wagger, I sympathise, I too had to take electrotechnology in college for my Class One Certifcate. I still get confused by "star" and "delta" confiuration. But I got "Full Marks" from the YEB power engineer, who came and certified the Installation I did on the self build. He even took the drawings of my Spilt System, which gave emergency Power access in an outage.

Pete.

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

Amen to that!. I

As a teenager on Saturdays I used to be factory floor cleaner and tea boy in my dads company. He bought a new Mec Brown circular saw (3 phase) and let me wire it in. I never tested it so just as we were about to leave he said I'll make sure its OK. He turned it on and got full 415v! He couldn't let go and one of the employees had to pull the plug out. He wasn't happy as he was lucky to survive! 

Perhaps that's why I've had a 'thing' about not tampering with electrics? 

Iain 

I might add I was also in my mum's bad books for sometime! Then for the umpteen Saturdays the blokes in the factory took great pleasure in all sorts of pranks. It was as an innocent 14/15 year old my first experience of factory humour😇😂

Iain 

415V?  Hah!

Once in my old life, my very old life, I was resuscitating a patient who had collapsed.  I used the defibrillator to shock their heart.   In those days some defibs recharged themselves automatically, and I must have pressed the button as I clipped the paddles back into their rack.   BOOM!   Because there was too much the gel on the paddles, about 400 joules went straight into my hand.     If it had gone across to the other hand, I might not be here today, but it went straight through and earthed via the rack's metal.    As it was, my arm was paralysed and I felt a bit odd, so called for others to take over.

My arm recovered as quickly as it does when you sleep in the wrong position and your arm 'goes to sleep', and apart from a small electrical burn on the back of my hand, so did I.     But the Hospital Bush Telegraph distorted the tale and for the rest of that day, I kept meeting people who had heard that I had collapsed and been defibbed!

Like Ian and Pete's tales, this was long  before H&S in the workplace, and there was no enquiry, and we just got on with it.

John

"Elf and Safety" or common sense as it was once known, Has become a Multi-Million Pound Industry, It was getting that way when I retired, I spent my Last Year or so in the Old "Day Job" mainly in just writing "Written Schemes" (of examination). AKA. "How to do, what we had been doing, for over 100years".

As an aside to that, the "schemes" allow persons who have no experience, to carry out safety examinations on highly critical plant and systems. Not something I would wish to be associated with, I fear.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

"Elf and Safety" or common sense as it was once known, Has become a Multi-Million Pound Industry, It was getting that way when I retired, I spent my Last Year or so in the Old "Day Job" mainly in just writing "Written Schemes" (of examination). AKA. "How to do, what we had been doing, for over 100years".

My experience of it is that it allows for 'what if's?' not in any logical sort of way but in any kind of wild fantasy-like flight of fancy by the Inspectors. What if it's struck by lightning? What if there's an alien invasion? What if someone tosses a coin and it lands in the ceiling light fitting and shorts it out? What if someone's having a peeing contest and pees in the wall socket? If you ask 'Is that likely?' they'll reply 'Can you prove that it isn't?' and you'll end up sticking signs to the wall telling people not to pee in the wall socket.

yes I think thats part of the proplem as people forget (or want to forget!) that theres two parts to the risk assessment question. Its not just 'what it the chance of something happening' but also 'what are consequences of it happening'.

You should only look for preventative measures if the answer to one or both of those questions is high so for example the likelyhood of a large meteor strike on the planet is very low but it would wipe out humanity = get those nuclear missiles ready....

Helicopters are flying static generators, just by their enormous rotors.    A landed chopper must be grounded before anyone touches it (tyres not enough, it seems) and the winchman trails a cable below them as they are lowered, to discharge the accumulated static, else they will get one hell of a belt on landing!

A Friend, who was a driver in the RAF and on refuelling on many ocasions. Tell`s that is/was a Chargeable offence to fail to (Electrically) Ground aircraft, especially before refuelling, when both the aircraft and the tanker where "grounded". In Fact if IRC, there are grounding points on all the "stands" at Airports?. I vaguely remember seeing orange cables.??.

Pete

On 11/02/2023 at 19:27, Colin said:

Cracking stuff, fellas! 

Yep - the 'bus' comment was an inadvertant (lucky) use of word.

Good news:- I must've done this same job many moons ago (25 yrs+) as I mullered a rather skinny tagged wire as I tried to clean it up - I note there was a twisted wire threaded through the nuts & bolts I wasn't to use - presumably this would have been the original earth from time of manufacture.

Anyway, have made a new Earth, reassembled it and the horns blare plenty loud!! 

Thanks to All for continued on-going help. Photo of previously made earth (2 photos) and my latest (3rd). Let's hope it's another 25 years before it all needs re-doing!! 

Glad the answer was what I suggested in the very first reply to this thread! 🤣🤣🤣

Gully

Gully & Chaps:- 

I'll take it, if this is a record! 

Similarly, I feel a twit for having completely forgotten about (out of sight out of mind) the u/j . . . to the point that when mentioned (here comes the Miranda clause), I couldn't even conceive of mine having one!! 

And yet, I HAVE done the job before!!! 

I'm only 64, too . . . starts early, doesn't it?!? 🤣🤣

48 minutes ago, Iain T said:

fly in a helicopter to push someone else out first 🚁

In my working life having been winched in and out of helicopters to and from ships too many times for my own good a failure by the flight deck crew to earth the winch wire before clipping on was greeted by much bad language and more.  

Dick

13 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

failure by the flight deck crew to earth the winch wire before clipping on

What if you land where there's no ground crew? Is there a widget to throw out to ground the helicopter ie a Marine😂

Answers on the same postcard please....