stainless steel drip trays

steveweblin

Just now, steveweblin said:

Last year somebody was offering to bring a batch of these from Australia to the UK. Did anyone get hold of one?

Are they still available?

I’ve got a set off ebay and they work about £30 deld from Australia . 
Paul 

Don't understand how they work, if the master cylinder leaks from pushrod end it still leaks down the pedal, if it overflows or you are careless topping up the bolts would need to be sealed, difficult with lock washers.

Stripped paint both ways unless using silicone brake fluid.

Regards

Paul.

37 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

And normal brake fluid being more flammable than petrol.

I found this difficult to believe so I poured some DOT 4 brake fluid into a small shallow dish.  I then placed a lighted match in the dish.  The match went out.  I did not repeat the experiment with petrol as a control.  I then soaked a small piece of fabric in the brake fluid.  This did ignite and continued to burn until all the fluid had been consumed.  This would suggest that the flammability of brake fluid is more similar to that of paraffin. The quoted flash point of octane, a major constituent of petrol, is about 13 deg C. the quoted flash point of glycerol, a major constituent of brake fluid is 199 deg C.

If, when you depress the brake pedal, a large quantity of fluid is spayed onto the hot exhaust system, the possibility of fire may not be your primary concern.  Work on the braking system is usually performed when the vehicle is stationary and the engine is cold.  Non silicone brake fluid is flammable but more similar to paraffin or light oil than petrol.

• Haha 1

My understanding of combustion is that it is the Vapour gas that actually burns. We had to heat marine heavy fuel to over 80C before it would even pump. And in excess of that to burn properly. It’s largely how quickly the fuel vaporises that governs the rate of flame propagation. Which is why fuel injection is by and large more efficient. Always assuming the ratio of fuel to oxygen is within the upper and lower limits.

Pete

yes you could try it in your petrol tank and its very likely that apart from the small(?) flame out of the filler the match would go out once dropped inside*

* I claim no responsibility for the accuracy of this information and will not be held liable for any damage or injury caused by anyone stupid enough to test it.

On 11/09/2023 at 11:09, Pete Lewis said:

from my years drip petrol on the exhaust and it just fizzes away 

Until as recently as last month, I would have shared that view, Pete.

This changed my mind: 

I was with a small group of people watching  the start up of a very old and  rare motorcycle.

It had been running briefly  earlier, so the exhaust manifold was still  a bit hot.

A very slight  leak from the fuel tap  allowed  petrol to drip  onto the exhaust manifold.

What happened next was just so fast - suddenly there were rapidly growing flames lapping  the underside  of the fuel tank…

Fortunately, a large foam fire extinguisher had been placed next to the bike as a routine precaution.

This meant it could be used  almost immediately, and a brief blast was sufficient  to put it  out almost in an instant -only a matter of  seconds after the first flames had appeared. .

If someone had needed  to ‘go and find’  an extinguisher,I am sure  the outcome would  have been  very  different.As it turned out, though there wasn’t  even any visible damage to the paintwork.