Opinions Wanted: GT6 with or without bumpers...

HeebieGeebie

• HeebieGeebie changed the title to Opinions Wanted: GT6 with or without bumpers...

For the racing look of your car, personally I like it without.

If you do buy bumpers, the new rears made by Bastuck (bought from Paddocks) have the wrong shape brackets and mine is already showing rust spots after a year and a bit. So find second hand and re chrome…

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Isn't it illegal not to have bumpers? I just asked Bing and he says yes. :)

Doug

I was under the impression you only have to not have remains of bumper irons sticking out or similar. I can think of several examples of cars that never had them too, D type Jag, Bugatti type 35 (both initially racers I know). Even the first Heralds had more bumper shaped panels than actual bumpers!

18 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Please what are the bumperette’s off or were they hand made and how were the internal round ends made

I suspect it is a modified original bumper. Centre section cut out and ends reworked to match outer ends/rear bumpers.

The bumper is quite thick steel, so not easy and a trip to the re-chromers would be required after.

I have considered it, but have stuck with my original set up for now. (although I do have an older spare with a ding in the centre that might be a suitable candidate for a chop)

Ian

Edited by Ian Foster
update
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Josef said:

Any chance you know how the white one’s bonnet functioned Colin? That’d be interesting to see given the hinges have been deleted. 

That one is from many years ago; I'll see what other photos I have of it but I suspect they're all of the outside, not the actual engineering.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 17:50, Peter Truman said:

Please what are the bumperette’s off or were they hand made and how were the internal round ends made

Perhaps it's TWO GT6 front bumpers, cut down such that the join is under the over-riders? The internal round ends being the outers of the second bumper.

As for the look of the factory bumper, in my ever so 'umble opinion, the Mk2 GT6 (& Mk3 Spit) raised "bone in the teeth" front bumper doesn't look as good as the Mk1 or the more integrated look of the Mk3 GT6. So I think I would prefer either the bumperless look, or the split front "bumperette’s".

Cheers, Richard

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rlubikey said:

Perhaps it's TWO GT6 front bumpers, cut down such that the join is under the over-riders? The internal round ends being the outers of the second bumper.

As for the look of the factory bumper, in my ever so 'umble opinion, the Mk2 GT6 (& Mk3 Spit) raised "bone in the teeth" front bumper doesn't look as good as the Mk1 or the more integrated look of the Mk3 GT6. So I think I would prefer either the bumperless look, or the split front "bumperette’s".

Cheers, Richard

I agree about the GT6 Mk2 and Spit Mk3 bumpers not looking the best.  At the time, it was a quick fix to comply with new US legislation on bumper height. 

I like the bumperless look of your race styled Mk2. Looks stunning with the royal blue paint and Revolution wheels. 

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Clark