Do you M.O.T. Test your Classic

Gary Flinn

I worked for 6 years as a MOT tester and I still get my Herald done, when I first bought her she had not seen the road for 3 or 4 years.

To get it road worthy I done lots of welding, suspension & brake work so it was nice to get some else to look at it, also I don't have a rolling road brake tester or a headlight beam setter at home !

She is now getting the body work done and a Vitesse front panel so it will go in for a test when done.

Chap on the Scimitar forum had his GTE nicked & the insurance company offered him a low price as he had no proof that it was a road worthy vehicle.   

• Like 1

I made what I thought was a reasonable offer for the car bearing in mind all the Mechanical issues that need resolving the worse one being the Engine but had a somewhat sarcastic response from the owner!

I don't know if to up my offer slightly and say this is my final offer or just move on and continue searching?

I could do without all the work involved to rebuild the engine and sort all the other issues with dodgy brakes, dodgy steering, a new hood and oil leaks on the Gearbox & Differential as I have enough on with DIY Project s on the house at the moment.

The lack of an M.O.T, since 2018 is worrying, if I did purchase the car I would definitely get it M.O.T. tested and who knows what other faults would be found with the corresponding additional expense involved to correct them.

It's a shame the mechanical side of the car isn't as good as the Bodywork and interior.

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn

54 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

think its best to abandon and sleep easy ,   there's too many concerns 

pete

Pete

Sometimes your Heart starts to rule your head, it's the best one I've seen bodily and the low previous owners and 47K mileage with M.O.T.'s to prove (Although it's not helped the Engine!) are very appealing?

I'm hoping more decent ones will be listed over the next few months with spring just around the corner🙂

Gary

48 minutes ago, Graham C said:

If you do not have the time then pass, nothing worst than having spent money to watch a car wait for your free time.

Agree shame about the mechanics not being comparable.

Graham

If I could get it at the right price I would find the time for sure, I've tried to work out what it would cost me in parts alone and it's adding up to at least £3K I reckon, maybe more if the Engine block is scrap.

Gary  

On 22/01/2024 at 12:10, Gary Flinn said:

If I could get it at the right price I would find the time for sure, I've tried to work out what it would cost me in parts alone and it's adding up to at least £3K I reckon, maybe more if the Engine block is scrap.

Gary  

For reference my Herald engine rebuild has just cost about £1.75k in parts and engineering work (well, still not managed to start it yet so hopefully we can stop at that figure!) That includes a Distributor Doctor dizzy rebuild which was not cheap, but hopefully worthwhile.

• Like 1

I've decided not to pursue this particular car, I made an offer (What I thought was a reasonable one bearing in mind the various issues and faults with it) and have been poo pooed by the owner! 

Weighing everything up, the Block & Crank could well be scrap and I just don't need all the hassle and work that's involved with it at the moment.

As stated, I'm hoping more cars will be listed soon as we edge towards Spring/Summer

Gary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's this year's reason why not to MOT my classic. A list of current appointments at all the local Test Centres. As you can see, in many there are NONE. Earliest I could get would be 25 June, 50 miles away. My wife's car is due at present, my daughter's from 15th March, but I cannot try to book more than a month ahead - it's not permitted. So: from next week I can try to book for my daughter's car, but her tax expires at the end of March. It's an offence to use a car with no current VEL, but we also cannot backdate more than two months if the Post Office is happy for that, and some only allow a month. So: we cannot tax a car with no MOT, and can't get an MOT for four months, so have no choice but to break the law by driving with no MOT, or risk fines for not having a taxed car.

Screenshot2024-02-08at11_28_48.png.37c6ad28e3661de89ef855380ce820ca.png

• Sad 1

You now have a working Assembly! It'll be fine just give it a few years/decades........ 

In reality I sympathise, what a barmy system. However I can see a business opportunity aka your chance to make £millions! 

Iain 

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Here's this year's reason why not to MOT my classic. A list of current appointments at all the local Test Centres. As you can see, in many there are NONE. Earliest I could get would be 25 June, 50 miles away. My wife's car is due at present, my daughter's from 15th March, but I cannot try to book more than a month ahead - it's not permitted. So: from next week I can try to book for my daughter's car, but her tax expires at the end of March. It's an offence to use a car with no current VEL, but we also cannot backdate more than two months if the Post Office is happy for that, and some only allow a month. So: we cannot tax a car with no MOT, and can't get an MOT for four months, so have no choice but to break the law by driving with no MOT, or risk fines for not having a taxed car.

Screenshot2024-02-08at11_28_48.png.37c6ad28e3661de89ef855380ce820ca.png

I know what you mean, just checked my usual centre 12 kms away and they only have 4 slots left for tomorrow, 08h40, 10h00, 10h40 & 15h20. Mind you if I book on line I save 5€ on the 77 'list price'

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Colin..........I wont tell anyone  

what a mess whats the hold up  not enough testers or incompetence in the gov .com  ????

Pete

Still running on Covid rules, one appointment every 30 minutes. I think they can normally process 12 cars per hour. If you arrive at the test centres, they're deserted. I still have the last photo of my GT6 taken at the Test Centre in about 2021, and it's completely empty. My car is sitting for a mandatory 20 minutes with windows open to clear Covid germs with me in the 'sin bin' well away from it. Some guy in a space suit will come out, take it through and then repark it there again once finished. Government-run facility, Union says 'no' to any relaxation.

GT6MOT.thumb.JPG.8353913f53f83686f58a59f810071769.JPG 

23 hours ago, Iain T said:

Forgive me but which government?

UK; the officially-run central-testing-station system was introduced many years ago to allegedly prevent paramilitaries and other criminals from running MOT scams. Strange that this is the only region of the UK that has criminals who may want to fake MOTs... 

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

UK; the officially-run central-testing-station system was introduced many years ago to allegedly prevent paramilitaries and other criminals from running MOT scams. Strange that this is the only region of the UK that has criminals who may want to fake MOTs... 

Barmy, I hope common sense soon prevails. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re MOTs I’m in the ‘yes’ camp. Having said this, a Morris I had for 13 years never failed because I made sure it was right (self maintained). I looked it up on the MOT history thing and since selling it, it’s never passed first time, not from rust but deteriorated bushes, tyres, brake issues. 
Most owners need the MOT because they don’t know what is right.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AlanT said:

Most owners need the MOT because they don’t know what is right.

Well, according to members of the Morgan Owners Club, we don't do our own maintenance so therefore don't know what's right or wrong...

Screenshot2024-02-20at16_01_31.png.554f7603aec800cdde8346d4080b15c0.png

I perform all my own maintenance apart from major welding work, it is part of the "fun".  I would not be able to justify keeping the car if I was spending £100s a year on garage labour charges.

How many TSSC members maintain their own cars? I would expect at least 75% judging from this forum.  If the question was posed to the Porsche Owners, then I would expect a lot less than 35% do their own maintenance as suggested in Colin's post.

its not as if there are any service jobs beyond the realms of diy with a few idea from a wsm.

it makes no sense to not have an Mot /safety check 

who ever knows if the brakes are balanced or even inoperative 

a simple MOT gives you all youneed to know 

be responsible is the clues here

Pete

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GrahamB said:

How many TSSC members maintain their own cars? I would expect at least 75% judging from this forum.

And the other 25% get Uncle Pete to come and fix it! Distance no object for a bacon sarni!

Doug

• Like 1