Do you M.O.T. Test your Classic

Gary Flinn

11 hours ago, johny said:

I feel the same applies to it being illegal to have different makes of tyre on the same axle as in many European countries now. How does my criteria compare with the cost of replacing two tyres after a non repairable puncture?

That is a very contentious issue amongst the Motorhome Forum`s. Especially when talking about tyre`s costing up to £200 a boot!.

Pete

16 hours ago, johny said:

The subject of allowing test drives is pretty risky especially with classic cars because as the vehicle owner you should really require the buyer to have a fully comp agreed valuation policy....

I'm going to sort the Insurance today, I don't reckon I'll be able to get agreed value insurance though, as the Cars not mine and the last company I was with (Lancaster) insisted on several photo's of the car from all angles which I just haven't got, I will see what they say.

I have asked the owner to take me for a test drive but he's refused, stating he's struggling to operate the Clutch and steering due to old age.

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn

I missed getting an MOT last year, but will put the car in for one once I've sorted a couple of niggles. Whilst none of us wants to be told our car needs work, I don't believe I have the kit or the knowledge to properly check the entire braking system and its efficiency, plus assess corrosion, wheel bearings and trunnions, and headlamp alignment. An MOT is a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

I view it as getting a second pair of eyes to check all ok, pretty much what we did examining critical components in the past. I once carried out a steam test, only 250 psi. But the fitters had overlooked the pressure controller isolating valve, had I not picked up on it the first indication would have (hopefully) been the safety valve lifting. But that too was the object of the examination to ensure they too operated at the design pressure. We even used our own certified pressure gauges. Marine or power station boilers running in excess of 600psi. Had even less room for error.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andybeau said:

What was wrong with this one?

Nothing with regards to the Main Body, Paintwork and interior, mechanically though you can tell it's not been M.o.t. Tested since 2018!

1. Dangerous Brakes (A Strong pull to the right)

2. Holes in the rear floor pan

3. Gearbox and Differential oil leaks.

4. The hood needs renewing

5. Drivers door handle not working correctly and loose

6. Gear change needs re-bushing

7. Excessive play in the Steering (Worn rack or UJ or both)

8. The worst issue was a knackered engine (47K Miles supposedly?)

With regards to the Engine, after a 8 mile test drive, on returning there was a strange noise from the front of the engine when depressing the clutch, when my mate watched the front crank pulley it was moving around 3/16" when I depressed the clutch! Knackered thrust washers or they may have even fallen out?

Also, the oil light was flickering at tick over then remained on fully, so it looks like the crank and bearings are shot to me, although the engine was quiet when driving and revving it up which is strange, it could be a faulty Oil pressure sender but do I want to take that risk?  

My mate who viewed the car suspects the worn thrusts may have been caused by a previous owner riding the clutch all the time, whatever's caused it the engine needs removing, investigating and a probable rebuild I reckon. 

I suppose some of the above faults are to be expected as the cars not been used much in 2 years and some of the faults wouldn't cost a fortune to rectify, but the owner wants £12K for it, am I expecting too much for it to be road worthy?

How much for a Triumph 6 Engine rebuild these day, I'm guessing at least £2K in parts and machining costs then there's all the labour involved with removal and replacement and no doubt some other ancillaries will need replacing too.

So unless he's prepared to knock a lot of money off I won't be bothering with this one either, its a shame because the general bodywork, paint and Panel fit are excellent and the interior matches a 47K mile car.

Maybe I'm just to fussy in my old age.

The search continues I reckon.

Gary    

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Hmm...

I suspect you might now be looking for a Vitesse Unicorn!🤔

I 'm wondering if you now regret selling your previous Vit, which looked immaculate.

Yes, I may never find another like my old one, I've no regrets about selling it, I wanted to try some other classics and have enjoyed both the Tr5 and the Tiger.

I do keep in touch with Martin the current custodian of my old Vitesse, but I don't believe he wishes to sell at present.

I do wonder if there are any other low mileage, low owner cars still out there, the last one was made in May 1971, so near on 53 years ago so it's very unlikely.

I will keep searching, I'm sure more will become available once spring is here.

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn

Keep looking one will turn up. It all depends on price... I've had that experience too where a total rot box of a Herald has been advertised as a solid runner, and when the owner asked if I'd give him £2000, and I replied that I wouldn't give him £200 for it he slammed the garage door and stormed off. I saw that one once more, years later, sitting for sale on a garage forecourt, but there's not even a record of the VRM now on GOV records.

• Like 1

I suppose, if the overall condition is atractive, I might have been tempted to offer a very low bid, and leave my phone number. It`s surprising how often the phone will ring, I put in a daft offer for a Fiat (Punto) once because I knew I had the Part`s on an existing car. The phone went before I got home!. I finished up with one car out of the two and the £50, from the scrap guy!. It ran for a further 2+ years passed 2 MOT`s, and went for only £100 less than my overall outlay.

Pete.

• Like 1

price is not always relevant around 5 years ago i sold my vitesse 6 to a local  classic car trader for £3,500 in p/x the car drove ok looked ok but the chassis was a total bodge full of filler underseal / i was amazed to see it advertised a week latter for 12k he sold it some 6 months latter i often wonder who the poor person was who purchased it paul and was sold without a mot saying tax mot exempt 

Edited by foshi
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Keep looking one will turn up. It all depends on price... I've had that experience too where a total rot box of a Herald has been advertised as a solid runner, and when the owner asked if I'd give him £2000, and I replied that I wouldn't give him £200 for it he slammed the garage door and stormed off. I saw that one once more, years later, sitting for sale on a garage forecourt, but there's not even a record of the VRM now on GOV records.

I will continue looking and hopefully get one before Summers here, it just gets very frustrating that I keep looking and can't find a decent one both mechanically and bodily.

I know I'm fussy, but there are a lot of mis-described cars out there, one mans immaculate is another mans average.

PS - I'm still waiting for the owner to come back to me with a reply.

Gary  

16 hours ago, foshi said:

price is not always relevant around 5 years ago i sold my vitesse 6 to a local  classic car trader for £3,500 in p/x the car drove ok looked ok but the chassis was a total bodge full of filler underseal / i was amazed to see it advertised a week latter for 12k he sold it some 6 months latter i often wonder who the poor person was who purchased it paul and was sold without a mot saying tax mot exempt 

Yes, I'm always amazed that dealers seem to turn them around so quickly, the one I looked at in Chesterfield was sold to a dealer, he had it listed for 2 days and then it was sold.

I was quite annoyed about that one, if I had been given time to view it a second time in the light of day I might have well bought it but the owner was impatient to sell I reckon

I've still not heard back from the owner of the 47k miles car, I wonder if a dealers moving in on this one?!!

Regards

Gary 

I've now had a response from the current owner in reply to my list of faults/issues with the car and also what he will take for the car, I need to think about it and I will make a decision by the end of the week.

Watch this space!

Gary 

On 11/01/2024 at 11:09, Gary Flinn said:

I just wondered how many of you currently get your Classic M.O.T. Tested still?

I know it's not been required since 2018 (I believe?)

I used to get mine done every year for peace of mind and also as a bargaining tool should I have ever been involved in an Accident.

I'm going to view (For the second time) a nice low mileage/low previous owners (3) Vitesse Mk2 Convertible at the weekend, the cars not been used for a couple of years but is currently taxed, the elderly owner is unable to drive it anymore however due to health issues and is unable to take me for a test drive.

The car was last M.O.T. tested in 2018 and the M.O.T. History prior to this is not good to read with mention of corrosion to the outriggers, Main Chassis and floor,

I'm going to take a trolley jack, a couple of Axle Stands and a powerful head torch so I can have a good look underneath for rust 

I also want to test drive the car so will probably arrange for 1 day insurance, I just hope it is safe and road worthy, the owner states it did have recent work on the brakes.

Regards

Gary

I dot have an annual MOT because the car does about ten miles a year. However, I do use a mobile mechanic who does his own assessment before submitting any of my vehicles for an MOT. They always pass after he has checked them and we have done the work between us.

He has often found more wrong than the MOT station. The pre-test costs me less than an MOT.

If I ever sell the Vitesse, I will have it tested and fixed if necessary.

On 16/01/2024 at 09:40, Gary Flinn said:

Yes, I'm always amazed that dealers seem to turn them around so quickly, the one I looked at in Chesterfield was sold to a dealer, he had it listed for 2 days and then it was sold.

I was quite annoyed about that one, if I had been given time to view it a second time in the light of day I might have well bought it but the owner was impatient to sell I reckon

I've still not heard back from the owner of the 47k miles car, I wonder if a dealers moving in on this one?!!

Regards

Gary 

It also amazes me the number of cars that go through eBay with an honest description and sell cheaply, then a week / month later they're on a private website with no mention of the recent sale, and the price has doubled. In fact some of them claim 'one owner from new' when they're anything but; not that the ad is often misleading or deliberately inaccurate, just the way it's all worded. I too often wonder if the buyer realises he could have had the same car a while before for so much less money?

"One careful owner! Yes, but what about the other half dozen who weren't careful?"

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It also amazes me the number of cars that go through eBay with an honest description and sell cheaply, then a week / month later they're on a private website with no mention of the recent sale, and the price has doubled. In fact some of them claim 'one owner from new' when they're anything but; not that the ad is often misleading or deliberately inaccurate, just the way it's all worded. I too often wonder if the buyer realises he could have had the same car a while before for so much less money?

"One careful owner! Yes, but what about the other half dozen who weren't careful?"

THAT, is why Arthur Daley never got an OBE.

• Haha 1