Do you M.O.T. Test your Classic

Gary Flinn

I went out in my 13/60 CV today, bit chilly on the hands. 

I check it over myself regularly and restored it in 2013 but noticed today it needs 2 back tyres, not worn out but tread cracking and age related I suspect. The tyres not me.

I`m for MOT checks as my local garage owner trained at Stratstones Jaguar and has been operating for 50 years, It will be a sad day when he retires as I suspect the place will close and get developed for B***dy student accommodation.

Steve

6 hours ago, GrahamB said:

How many TSSC members maintain their own cars? I would expect at least 75% judging from this forum.  If the question was posed to the Porsche Owners, then I would expect a lot less than 35% do their own maintenance as suggested in Colin's post.

I am getting the impression it is well under 50% of Triumph owners doing their own maintenance and repairs now.

Judging by what I saw people buying and more importantly not buying at Stoneleigh.

It’s an interesting question - I do my own, but I suspect as the years roll on it does get more difficult for some of us to physically do it (getting down is ok, getting up less straightforward!) 

I do get my car MoT’d but I don’t lose any sleep over missing it by a couple of months.

I often read more examples of people checking the value of their car these days though so perhaps there are more owners who have more than a passing-interest of their car as an investment rather than a drive/fix/repeat car so the ‘fix’ part isn’t interesting for them. Changing world.

………. Andy

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There is a cancellation slot available, 70 miles from me in Coleraine, in 15 minutes. Might make it?

You would if it was a DeLorean you wanted testing 

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

You would if it was a DeLorean you wanted testing 

I wonder..... get fined for no MOT or get fined for speeding? Anyway if it was a De Lorean I could go into the future, get an MOT at some ridiculous date 6 months from now, then come back here again. 

• Haha 1

On 03/03/2024 at 12:36, GrahamB said:

I perform all my own maintenance apart from major welding work, it is part of the "fun".  I would not be able to justify keeping the car if I was spending £100s a year on garage labour

Agree! My wife would de-sanction many of my hobbies if I paid other people to do the maintenance. I’ve got the bills relating to maintenance on my Morris project and all I can say is that the previous owner really did love the car!