Do you M.O.T. Test your Classic

Gary Flinn

I just wondered how many of you currently get your Classic M.O.T. Tested still?

I know it's not been required since 2018 (I believe?)

I used to get mine done every year for peace of mind and also as a bargaining tool should I have ever been involved in an Accident.

I'm going to view (For the second time) a nice low mileage/low previous owners (3) Vitesse Mk2 Convertible at the weekend, the cars not been used for a couple of years but is currently taxed, the elderly owner is unable to drive it anymore however due to health issues and is unable to take me for a test drive.

The car was last M.O.T. tested in 2018 and the M.O.T. History prior to this is not good to read with mention of corrosion to the outriggers, Main Chassis and floor,

I'm going to take a trolley jack, a couple of Axle Stands and a powerful head torch so I can have a good look underneath for rust 

I also want to test drive the car so will probably arrange for 1 day insurance, I just hope it is safe and road worthy, the owner states it did have recent work on the brakes.

Regards

Gary

If you have a current insurance with P james then you are automaticaly cover to drive other members?  cars 

and I promote having an MOT every year as this proves out the brake balance which you cant DIY 

and might find the one thing you felt was fine when it had degraded to a concern 

good for peace of mind and safety to others 

Pete

• Like 3

Hi Gary.

The previous owner of my car kept the mot history up to date. I have continued to do this . It gives me a good opportunity to keep an eye on any potential problems and also good peace of mind.

• Like 3

I'm taking a mate with me to view and he's going to see if he's insured to drive any other car via his policy, I cancelled my Classic Car insurance with Lancaster when I sold my Sunbeam back in July, I have a company car so that is insured via work.

The lack of recent M.O.T. testing puts me off the car, I know if I do make an offer on it and buy it, I will get it M.O.T. tested and this could open up a potential can of worms with extra costs to get it to pass!

I need to make sure there are no serious rust issues underneath that will cause it to fail, I was tempted to offer to pay the current owner the M.O.T. test fee and get him to get it done before I make an offer?

Gary   

Edited by Gary Flinn

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

can you get the car MOT before you pay for it ???

pete

I could ask the owner to get it M.O.T. tested and say I'll pay I suppose.

Then if it does fail on anything (Probably likely) I could use it as a bargaining tool to get the price reduced?

I need to have a look underneath at the Chassis and floor pans, just because it's a low mileage car (47K) doesn't mean it's not rusty underneath.

I'll keep you all posted how I get on

Gary   

15 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes my first 948 was a 59 rot box 6yrs old and more holes than car 

Pete

This car was undersealed from new by the factory by the looks of it, but after 50+ years it could be doing more harm than good now😮 

Yes, MOT every year. Always good to wander beneath the ramp and see what it looks like without crawling underneath! Also good to get an annual brake balance check.

Gully

Edited by Gully
  • Like 1

No excuse but I haven`t done mine since 2020, mainly because I have been so busy, but I do plan to very soon as I want to make the most of my local classic friendly Mot man who is now 70 and won`t have his garage much longer I think.

S

• Like 1

I haven't done mine since the first lockdown. Last year I covered nearly 40 miles, a little more in previous years. This year I hope to get back to hundreds maybe a thousand and there will be an MOT. As Pete points out you can't detect unbalanced brake and GT6s with supposed "self adjusters" are prone to it. Also difficult to detect are worn trunnions. 

If I liked the car I would ask for an MOT, a reasonable request. If the owner pleads poverty I would offer to pay. Even a fail might not be a barrier to purchase, depending on the reason. A complete no to MOT, walk away.

Doug

• Like 1

Definetly yes.  

When you tax it, even though it might be zero £ you are declaring its road worthy. What better way than to have passed the official test of road worthiness.

Last year my son was in a bad car crash, air ambulance and his nissan micra was made a convertible by the rescue services. Broken arm and leg.   Our local classic friendly garage had mot'd it the previous month.  The car and the lorry involved were both impounded and inspected for road worthiness.  My mot man's ears certainly pricked up as i recounted the story how the mot cert he issued was checked.  Son and mot all good.   Not so his Micra. Went off to make baked bean tins.

Your involved in an accident somebody gets hurt.   The last time you were under the car where the brake lines etc run and our cars may well have single circuit brakes was 3 years ago. ....

• Like 1

Another yes here. It's good to have a professional opinion that your car is all good and if it isn't then you really do want to know rather than riding round in a death-trap. And, God forbid, should the worst happen then at least your back is covered. 

Derek.

• Like 1

It would take too long to search them all, so perhaps you should ask your own insurers?

I find one that says, in respect of the exemption from MoT, "Our classic car insurance and classic motorcycle insurance policyholders are still required to keep their vehicles in a roadworthy condition without defects."  (https://www.abbeyfieldsinsurance.co.uk/blog/classic-vehicle-mot-requirements/ )  [My underline]

If you are confident that you can do this without another, professional eye over the car, go ahead, make the insurers day!

John

Edited by JohnD

My Herald is the first I've missed on MOT, ever - it's now out of MOT by three months. The system over here is such an embarrassment I didn't bother even trying. The Freelander is due on January 14th, closest appointment I can get is in April, and I booked that last month. They're still testing at Covid rates ie one test every 30 minutes and the backlog is huge. I went online earlier to see if there were any cancellations and I was No 247 in the queue.

I'd MOT any I was selling, or would expect a purchase to have an MOT, given the current crop of selling cowboys who seem to believe that 'no MOT' means the car can be in any condition, so what? This includes Herald 'convertibles' ie saloons with the roof removed, but who is going to check things like that any more?

6 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

I also want to test drive the car so will probably arrange for 1 day insurance, I just hope it is safe and road worthy, the owner states it did have recent work on the brakes.

Regards

Gary

The subject of allowing test drives is pretty risky especially with classic cars because as the vehicle owner you should really require the buyer to have a fully comp agreed valuation policy....

• Like 1

also think it depends on the asking price ,, if cheap enough   in my opinion worth the risk  have purchased a lot of bargains over the years due to no mot , you need to give it a good look over though paul

• Like 1

Like some I haven't mot'd mine since lockdown. Just had my modern car mot and reminded me I must book the Vitesse. If it's the same guy his dad has a 2000 saloon so knows about classics. 

Iain 

Post, Prompted to have a look at the Paperwork for "Plum" it transpires that it`s MOT expires 9th April. Which will fit nicely with certain plans. In My opinon there should be a requirement for a Basic MOT style test for all "historic" vehicles even if only semi annual?.

Pete

• Like 2

Like a lot of legal matters I believe you have to base these decisions on statistics - is there a problem with accidents due to or aggravated by classic cars being mechanically unsound? If and when thats the case the subject of statutory MOTs should be reviewed....

I feel the same applies to it being illegal to have different makes of tyre on the same axle as in many European countries now. How does my criteria compare with the cost of replacing two tyres after a non repairable puncture?