Offside or right

Pdv

After two pages I think I've finally burned port and starboard into my brain. We are on the port side in April. I'll try nautical directions on my wife, I'm sure she'll have her own version of 'anchor away'. 

Iain 

44 minutes ago, Iain T said:

'anchor away'. 

I started something there😂. I believe, "Anchors Away" is the primary March of the US Naval Service?. Of course "weigh anchor" has nothing to do with the measurement of "Mass". But now I`m (thread) drifting into Dick`s Territory.

Pete

Edited by PeteH

28 minutes ago, PeteH said:
1 hour ago, Iain T said:

'anchor away'. 

I started something there😂. I believe, "Anchors Away" is the primary March of the US Naval Service?

I think you're correct. Dick where are you? 

Pete, Google says:-Weighing” is bringing the anchor in, not dropping it. It's a holdover of a Dutch or Old English usage of the word meaning 'to raise up. ' A lot of nautical English words are adaptations of Dutch. The command to drop the anchor is “let go.

Iain 

Edited by Iain T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Dick where are you?

'Anchors Away' is the march of the USN as opposed to the RN and some other Commonwealth navies who have' Heart of Oak'.

When weighing (raising) anchor the sequence is 'anchor aweigh'  (off the sea bed), ' anchor clear of the water' (I can see it), 'clear anchor' (nothing entangled, hopefully, like old cable,wire, bits of old cars etc).  That really is nautical drifting!

Dick 

I had to do the Can Can with Billy Dainty and his troop , grass skirt  trousers rolled up and definitely NO photographs

on the stage at Babbacombe theatre ,  keeping up with his girls  nearly split my difference but we made it

great guy to talk to sadly no more  , this was back it the early 80s 

not an experience i wish to repeat but  the girls    Wow !!

Pete

6 hours ago, Iain T said:

Pete, Google says:-Weighing” is bringing the anchor in, not dropping it. It's a holdover of a Dutch or Old English usage of the word meaning 'to raise up. ' A lot of nautical English words are adaptations of Dutch. The command to drop the anchor is “let go.

Iain 

Correct, The phrase weigh anchor, is made when leaving  a port anchorage.

Pete

12 minutes ago, Steve P said:

think if you start all that in your cabin it will be "away anchor" or something close to that.

Very true, I may be holding the steering wheel but the wife drives! Lights are green, watch that idiot, did you see that whatever by the road (no dear I'm watching the idiots on the road)........ 

• Haha 1