Offside or right

Pdv

Hi All,

Simple question is the right side of our cars as viewed from the driving position ie the offside.

I need an offside rear overider and there is one on ebay for 60£ and advertised as right hand side.

Thanks 

Steve

I didn't phrase my question very well, as is usual for me. Nearside and offside is easy, it was looking at the car from the front or rear that was confusing me.

As for Port and starboard a good one is, the captain left the port wine behind.

Useless fact, dimensionally the centre of the car is (or was in my day) the centre in X, Y, Z of the front cross member. 

Getting back to the high seas the wife and I love ocean cruises but choosing port or starboard side cabin is always a toss up. Invariably we get it wrong so when docked instead of a nice bay or town view the mornings start thus. First thought I knew that final drink last night wasn't a good idea then open the curtains in Full Monty mode and my wife says good view? Normally I reply oh yes dockside silos again the Captain has it in for us! 

🚢

When flying in helicopters the centre seat behind the pilots was always good as it pivoted around the centre point, so less throwing about and a more stable flight. 

I always get the sides of cars mixed up - yes, LHD and RHD are fine, as is offside and nearside, but reference books don't always make it clear that they're looking at the vehicle from the driver's perspective, or from the front, and some European car manuals also fail to translate from LHD to RHD for the UK market. When you get to the bit that says: "the sensor is located behind the passenger side dashboard and requires the removal of the lower dashboard and side trims" and you do all that only to find it's actually on the driver's side in UK cars, it can mean a lot of blue air.

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

When you get to the bit that says: "the sensor is located behind the passenger side dashboard and requires the removal of the lower dashboard and side trims" and you do all that only to find it's actually on the driver's side in UK cars, it can mean a lot of blue air.

Last week helped a neighbour who's battery was dead and couldn't open the bonnet as it was a electrically operated. Googled where to hook up my Vitesse battery to release the bonnet only to find the connection on the other side. I had watched an American lhd video! 

Iain 

3 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Easier than the olden times, before me and Pete,  Larboard and Starboard. 

Don't confuse me, I'm having a left hand down a bit Lieutenant Poiter moment (Navy Lark) 😂😂

Edited by Iain T

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

About the only thing I remember about taking my kids to see chitty bang bang, around `68ish, is that daft song!!.🙄

A friend made a replica of Grandpa Potts hut in his garden complete with underfloor beer chiller🍻

Iain 

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Strictly speaking, to be Right, of course, One passes to Port to Port.

Pete

One passes the dutchie to the left hand side, but passing an elephant makes it difficult to get the toilet seat down again.

As for Iain's LHD American video, NOTHING in this life depresses me more than searching for a how-to video and finding what looks like the perfect step-by-step demonstration only to find it starts with the usual cheery voice: "Hi there and welcome back to Cletus' The Yokel's Backyard Alabama Workshop where today we'll be showing you how to remove the battery from the trunk without denting the fender of this lovely British sedan using Quicknick's Professional Range of Tools...."

Yikes.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

trunk without denting the fender of this lovely British sedan

Brought up doing a lot of work on Ford prototype body pressings I still use fender, hood, deck lid, rocker panel, firewall etc etc. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

Back to Viking times and boats without a rudder, steering was performed by lashing a modified oar to the stern of the boat.  As most people are right handed, this modified oar or steering board  (Starboard) was attached to the right hand side of the boat.  With the oar sticking out on the right, you had to moor the boat with the left hand side against the harbour, (port) wall.  You still board airliners through doors on the port side.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Steve P said:

Who decides who`s turn it is in the barrel?

S

The next question is? Where is the Golden Rivet?.

11 hours ago, Iain T said:

Brought up doing a lot of work on Ford prototype body pressings I still use fender, hood, deck lid, rocker panel, firewall etc etc. 

Iain 

Ditto, from spending a Lot of time travelling the USA, and visiting family. I even call pavements sidewalks, get`s a few strange looks here, living out in the sticks!.

Pete

When Rhyna owned a MX5 it needed a replacement right front side light.
I found a 2nd hand one on line and ordered it.
When it arrived it was the left side one.
I contacted the seller and they said it was right side looking at front of the car🙃