Mintex Pads

Peaks

It's time for new pads on my Vitesse. I've had Mintex 1144 fitted for the last 10 years and have been very pleased with them, so want the same again.

Is it just a case of buying the correct pads for a Girling type 16 caliper, or are the pads model specific? 

Thanks

The pads for Type 16 calipers only vary between the imperial and metric sizes, with different diameter holes for the retaining pins.

Your Vitesse should have imperial calipers, metric didn't start to appear until 1972. If in doubt, buy the pads and fitting kit from the Club Shop, they will ensure you get the right ones.

Nigel

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Come across this thread will researching new pads for my Vitesse , and it seems the 1144 pad is the favourite . I've found some online , but while searching I saw some m1109 grade  mintex pads which are a fraction of the price and I've seen described as " an Excellent road pad" . Does anyone have any experience of them?

logo-mintex-large-1.jpgMintex supply a comprehensive range of materials ranging from good quality road pads to out and out competition pads. We are fortunate in that Mintex, being a world renowned brake pad and shoe manufacturer, make brake pads for the entire TR range  including 4 pot caliper conversions. The material range is as follows : - M1109 is an excellent road pad, and is complemented with the Mintex Classic range offering good all-round performance specially developed for classic cars. M1144 is suitable for Fast Road /Road Rally, M1155 for Stage Rally/Hillclimb/Mild Race, M1166 has high metallic content suitable for full race use, and M1177 available to special order has high carbon content, intended for the most arduous applications.

Edited by Larfin Frog
Add text for information

Yup, we all got 11/44s! Lots of threads on here extoling their benefits, be sure to do the running in procedure.

Never heard of 11/09, but I suspect they ain't as good as 44s?

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Depends which way up the car is when i change them.......

The post i think from the previous postee,  more related to the fact of not being road use. 

So should i fit.     I will based on strong recommendations of this esteemed forum. But why state not road use......

I think it purely comes down to the fact that these are listed by Mintex as racing pads as opposed to their standard range and the message is to avoid giving the impression of endorsing racing on public roads...

It's been argued that they are not road legal under Regulation 90, quote below from an EBC employee:

"On your pad must be a reg 90 approval mark (Usually 90R and the location of the reg 90 approval - E11 for UK) and if it does not have this mark it should not be used on the road. Not saying that it will be unsafe, but it has not got the certificate to say they are officially safe. It can be an MOT fail if it the pads are checked to see if they have this marking. It is rarely/never done but if you get into a crash, you can be liable for not having brakes fit for the road.

I have had a look into the M1144 and they do not have Reg 90 approval so these are not fit for road use. 

I work for EBC and I do our reg 90 approval every week on our materials to make sure they conform to this test."

Possibly a less than neutral standpoint there from a rival company, but In the unlikely event of a fatal road crash, where the brakes are alleged to have contributed, the pads may be examined by an AO. It may be a million-to-one incident, but if it ever happens, it seems they're not road legal therefore no payout from Insurance and possibly other liabilities incurred. I don't use them, no point on a Herald really, but search for any term along the lines of "why are Mintex pads marked not for use on public roads" and see the many pages of debates.

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

"On your pad must be a reg 90 approval mark (Usually 90R and the location of the reg 90 approval - E11 for UK) and if it does not have this mark it should not be used on the road. Not saying that it will be unsafe, but it has not got the certificate to say they are officially safe. It can be an MOT fail if it the pads are checked to see if they have this marking. It is rarely/never done but if you get into a crash, you can be liable for not having brakes fit for the road.

taken from EBC's website

European legislation came into effect in September 1999 titled ECE R90 that stipulates that all brake pads ( and now also discs/rotors) sold for use on vehicles manufactured after this date must be tested and comply with R90 standards

(https://www.ebcbrakes.com/race-motorsport-articles/ece-regulation-90-whats-it-all-about/#:~:text=European legislation came into effect,and comply with R90 standards)

So that regulation does not apply to our cars, simply as even the original manufacturers pads did not undergo the regs 

Edited by DanMi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I have now fitted a set of Mintex 1144s and have  much better braking. However having all 4 pistons moving as they should is probably having as much if not a greater effect on braking efficiency! 

Yes working pistons make a big difference especially as if not they usually pull to one side. So you went with the Mintex race 1144 compound rather then the cheaper standard 1109 that you saw?

I and I believe many others are not fans of EBC green stuff pads, immediate braking improvement when I replaced them in my Vitesse with white box pads bought at an auto jumble.

Will probably get Mintex for next pad change.

Regards

Paul.

49 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

I and I believe many others are not fans of EBC green stuff pads, immediate braking improvement when I replaced them in my Vitesse with white box pads bought at an auto jumble.

Will probably get Mintex for next pad change.

Regards

Paul.

I agree, used EBC Greenstuff for less than a month then binned them. You probably need some wear for them to bed in and work properly, I wasn't doing enough miles in the GT6 but found the pedal very hard with little stopping power and so went back to original-style pads.

my experience  is easy to clean  ebc /greenstuff   off the brake dust from the wheels and trims but if you want to stop  best avoid like the plague

ive  been a fan of 1144 mintex ( with correct bedding in)   work wonders 

pete