Triumph cars Glycol DOT 3, 4 & 5.1 Vs DOT 5 silicone brake fluid

Nmuntzer

I used silicone in my vitesse over the 13 years I drove it (everyday car) and the only issue I had was when I bought some fluid at Stafford that was contaminated and ruined the master cylinder seals. I would have liked to have caught up with that stallholder,but never saw them again.

Thesedays I use DOT4. Mainly because it is almost impossible to get silicone locally or in an emergency. And I worry about brakes as mine get a beasting regularly.In all honesty I have not researched how silicone fluid copes with abuse. But as I change it after a trackday or whatever, I think I am OK. Only downside is the odd dribble on teh bulkhead, but rinsing with water sorts that.

• 2 weeks later...

Triumph Stag Master cylinder Silicone brake fluid fail:

I have discovered an issue using DOT 5.0 that those switching to is should be aware of. If you have recently purchased a new Master cylinder or a new Master cylinder repair kit you may discover as I did, that the rubber components are not compatible and the unit will fail with less than a years use or within 950miles.

The issue seems to be that the manufactures are currently making the rubber components out of a material that is only compatible with DOT, 3, 4, & 5.1 not 5.0 If you are lucky to have an original Lockheed rubber kit you are safe, if not you may notice silicon brake fluid seeping from the underside of the brake servo unit.

In my frustration I have had the kit re-manufactured in EPDM which is specifically engineered to be used with silicone brake fluid.

If you wish to purchase the kit, I am currently selling them on eBay.

Nigel M

Nigel, Dot-5 fluid is based on silicone oil, and silicone grease (which is silicone oil with an inert thickener such as silica) is a well known assembly aid for O-rings and other elastomer seals. So I'm afraid I have to agree that you probably fell foul of some of the rubbish pattern parts around today. Many seemingly original parts in well known manufacturers boxes, have been made in the far east with little or no quality control because the manufacturer has been bought out by some utter toe-rag who wants to capitalise on the name. I know; I had my new master cylinder refurbished by an engineering company because it simply didn't work and we didn't want the pain of going through the supplier's stock until we found a good one! I've had track rod end boots that rot in 12-months - this seems quite a common problem.

Cheers, Richard

I'm using silicone fluid and it is fine on the road for sedate driving. For a track day it is a definite no no. The pedal will go down to the floor after a couple of laps.

And John is somebody whose opinion I fully respect in this matter.

I will be sticking to mineral fluid with regular changes. Brakes are more important than paintwork!

Brake fluid is made to a standard by well known manufacturers, the seals are made from god knows what by god knows whom. Even buying nos in original packaging is not safe as only the box might be original and if the seals are they will be old.

Still sticking with DOT5 and am sure there will be more posts on the relative merits.

Regards

Paul

I too will be sticking with DOT 5, and my car gets driven fairly enthusiastically. I respect John's opinion in the matter of racing, as he has been and done it, but for road use, a non-hydroscopic fluid makes a lot of sense.

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

I've had silicone in my herald for 14  years, and in a gt6 for 10 years. No problems.  I have a TR4A that has dot 4 in.  Leaked all over the place, stripping paint, and the brakes are the worst of the 3 cars.   Guess what will be happening in the winter work schedule?

Also I have some  new track rod end boots that have disintegrated in a couple of years. Rubbish supplier.

Dave

====

Don't blame the fluid for the poor brakes. That is something else (and I hope you have regularly changed the dot 4 fluid every couple of years!). And yes, if you overhaul the braking system it will be much better, whatever fluid you use.

What caused the fluid leaks? Again,don't blame the fluid. Silicone will leak just the same. The main difference is that it won't strip the paint.