Car SOS

dougbgt6

Mine's been in the garage for twenty years...... rescued in 1994, stripped, rebuilt, repainted then forgotten since 2003. In fact my 1200 convertible was dismantled in 2008 and hasn't been rebuilt yet. My Gt6 is also in a few bits awaiting finishing the dashboard rewiring and a new boot floor. SOS!!

Sadly I think most of these programmes - Wheeler Dealers is a good example - seem to think that bigger faster louder is the way to go without realising the yawn factor that this gives some of us. I know I may be getting sedate and boring but making a car go faster to make more money only appeals to those who want a car that goes faster in the first place.... so WHY buy a Herald?

Yeh, Mine was the same, restored, then left in my garage for 20 years. Then my daughter said "I want that for my wedding car"   :o

I'm with Colin, I'm not against go faster bits but you can put them on any car you like, I want to see how the car in question was restored.

Who goes to the Folies Bergere to look at the feathers?

Trouble is we are all "anoraks" and enjoy details, whereas the general punter wants light entertainment.

So we are disappointed,  but are still weirdly drawn to anything that involves old bangers....(beats most of the other 387 channels all showing the usaual tat)

It's a Pitty they dint put an extended version on the internet or something. One with more details. I love the way they skim over the bodywork etc and suddenly it has a perfect body for the paint job !! If only !

Wasn't there a thread on here about the owner wanting to revert back to normal aspiration? Or was that another car?

Aidan

So we are disappointed,  but are still weirdly drawn to anything that involves old bangers....(beats most of the other 387 channels all showing the usaual tat)

Yes it's like a drugs fix... I still watch Wheeler Dealers waiting for that wonderful Classic Car moment, but it's nothing but BMW, Audi or Maseratis these days.... or else American motors. Fine if you like them but I still feel marginalised. almost all of the car programmes on TV at the moment are American offerings. Fast and Loud just about sums it up.

As for the other channels... I think I hit my record yesterday at 10.08am..... forty two channels in a row showing adverts without one single programme between them. 

Watched "Grand Tour" via amazon last night (seems it comes as part of a free delivery thing the missus signed up to)

After reading the reviews I was expecting a good programme. However, that was disappointing. OK, the usual supercar test was entertaining (but soooo predictable) the new test track is not so great, and I won't ruin the "surprise" celebrity bit. Dreadful. However, probably watch again as nothing selse better likely to be on.

Saying that, having just returned from a blustery half marathon, Columbo is on the telly. Perfect. Cuppa, fruit cake (courtesy of the half goody bag) and Columbo on a chilly Sunday afternoon.

Quite like Car SOS,Tim Shaw makes me laugh sometimes.It can be interesting  especially when they show things like cold stitching a cracked block.

Good programme on channel 4 last night with Philip Glenister and Ant Antstead restoring a 1958 racing Lotus Elite.

S

Yes, like Glenister, can't stand Shaw! The only time he made me laugh was when he drove a Spitfire, he was head AND shoulders above the windscreen. I suspect he was on a large cushion to accentuate the "I'm very tall" joke. I just want to see Fuzz fix the cars, perhaps Fuzz and Glenister might work?

Ed China is a kn*b... :unsure: Can't watch him. Anyone that needs to wear protective goggles, ear defenders and gloves just to drill a hole......oh, dear! Caught a bit of him at last years Classic Motor Show, had to walk away.

Don't hold back Darren; what do you *really* think of him? ;) At least that show does more practical work than the others, and it's probably his producer that insists on the health & safety stuff. It's the other one on Wheeler Dealers I can't stand.

Remember the early series of ... SOS and For the Love Of ... which both had more actual restoration work, but that aspect's been toned down in favour of the human interest and gimmicky deals. Oh, and bloody features (pronounced "adverts") for the manufacturer's current model :angry:

Cheers, Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone that needs to wear protective goggles, ear defenders and gloves just to drill a hole......oh, dear! 

Getting near the end of my working career and 80% down in the hearing in one ear, plus a very annoying black 'floater' in one eye that moves about as I try to read.... sometimes I wish I'd worn goggles and hearing defenders when younger....

I suppose the programme has to reach a larger audience to make money - hence all the boring moderns that feature - plus it has to be entertaining (remember the Spitfire maintenance video that was sold through the club some years back? The oldish guy in the overalls that did the demonstrations and narration makes Brewer et al look positively exciting, although I wish they'd restore more and spend less time buying huge piles of bling over counters. 

youre doing well Colin.  just need the stiff back and knobbly knees to complete the retirement package

and when you arrive  there there's  just not the time to go to work ...i wonder how we managed 

having made a load of diy video at work its easy to be dull boring and all go to sleep. unless youve been trained to be a presenter 

its sooo easy to be a monotone drudge  act.

in the late 80s i was given a full size VHS camera a editing video but no TV to make videos of product changes etc and problem solving even made moving titles by aim at floor and pull sheets of paper with plastic kids letters 

theres a dull copy of one we did about the differences in models like a 50series one 

made with diddly squat and a wing and a prayer

I did start to make a servicing video with Garth and my mate  Ray  but to cover all eventuals the time scale to make anything based on fawlty towers servicing became impossible to complete and we scrapped the idea couple of years ago

but if you want a snooze>>>>>>>>>>>

Pete

• Like 1

youre doing well Colin.  just need the stiff back and knobbly knees to complete the retirement package

and when you arrive  there there's  just not the time to go to work ...i wonder how we managed 

having made a load of diy video at work its easy to be dull boring and all go to sleep. unless youve been trained to be a presenter 

its sooo easy to be a monotone drudge  act.

in the late 80s i was given a full size VHS camera a editing video but no TV to make videos of product changes etc and problem solving even made moving titles by aim at floor and pull sheets of paper with plastic kids letters 

theres a dull copy of one we did about the differences in models like a 50series one 

made with diddly squat and a wing and a prayer

I did start to make a servicing video with Garth and my mate  Ray  but to cover all eventuals the time scale to make anything based on fawlty towers servicing became impossible to complete and we scrapped the idea couple of years ago

but if you want a snooze>>>>>>>>>>>

Pete

Love the accompanying music 

Paul 

its called Jump. 

the youtube was loaded by a guy in the RB44 club forum from a cd i copied from the old tapes there was a rolling end but its seems to have got cut off , i dont have the orig tape anymore , its in the Rootes heritage centre  nowt to do with Rootes but I off unloaded a load of old historic stuff including a workshop manual for a Humber scout car written by my dads brother for the WW2

all the family were in Commer/Rootes  from 1917 thro to my departure in 2003 , 

sorry rambling

Pete

Quite like the old WDs myself, although the recent Ford Bronco one stretched credibility to the max (By my count, all that was left of the original was the engine!) At least China does know his stuff, and you are spared the endless faux deadlines you see in the American-made shows, which seem to serve as a retirement gig for out-of-work heavy metal guitar players. The other thing with them is that for their domestic classics, the parts industry over there is so comprehensive they seem to be able to buy anything off the shelf.

Car SOS would be great if only we had 100% of Fuzz and they binned Tim Shaw, whose shtick gets under my fingernails. He is as funny as a virus. I met Fuzz recently when he came to speak to my local club, and he is a really nice bloke who knows his stuff inside out. The show also falls victim to the "let's add a deadline and make it exciting" syndrome, but that is probably the Director's doing.

All matter of opinion I guess, but at least we now have TV for classic car fans. Years ago the best you got was the odd item on (old) Top Gear when Count Quentula was on it, before he went on to that awful show with the wooden supermodel.

Steve C