Spitfire batteries.

Fraser64

I am in need of a new battery for my Spitfire. After looking around different parts of tinterweb the cost varies dramatically between well known branded and cheap cheap Chinese imports.

I'm not looking for a cheap set me on fire Chinese import but is there much merit in paying top whack for a battery against a generic mid range one?

On a similar note, is it worth getting a bigger one than the standard.

Ta.

Ian.

Ian.

Much of the price is reflected in the warranty - 2 / 3 / 5 years; better the cover the higher the price.

Personally, I like sealed batteries these days.

I'm not sure what you cold crank turnover rating is on a Spitfire but you certainly need to match that and perhaps a tad higher.

Many of the small chassis Triumphs run with a 063 battery, this may be the case for your car or a 049 unit. I am sure another Spitfire owner will be able to fill in the gaps for you.

Have a look at Halfords, their batteries are very good indeed and well priced.

If sourcing one from the Internet, say EBay, you will be hard pushed to beat this quality unit with IMHO a very decent price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Type-049-Car-Battery-300CCA-Bosch-12V-45Ah-3-Years-Wty-Sealed-OEM-Replacement-/222031857232?fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph%7CModel%3ASpitfire&hash=item33b2214650:g:a-cAAOSwzgRWzB07

I hope the above assists ??

Good luck.

Richard.

I would tend to stick to a well known brand such as Bosch, Varta, Yuasa etc. There were reports of problems of early failure of a certain well know car and bike stores own brand batteries a couple of years ago, which we witnessed first hand on the HQ Courier van, and also on my own Herald so I have steered clear of them now even though I can get them cheap with thier trade card! As Richard said 063 is the advised spec but it won't hurt to go with one slightly higer specified as long as it physically fits and the terminals are the right way round.

Ian.

Looks as though 063 is your unit, as Garth says.

In that case, have a look at this - more battery for less cost; makes a change these days !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Car-Battery-12V-45Ah-Type-063-420CCA-4-Years-Wty-Sealed-OEM-Replacement-/231001234809?hash=item35c8bf1d79:g:S1kAAOSwu4BV6xG2

If you did go up a spec, you would be looking at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Car-Battery-12V-70Ah-Type-068-630CCA-4-Years-Wty-Sealed-OEM-Replacement-/231093337113?hash=item35ce3c7c19:g:pSEAAOSw0JpV6xdP

But again, as Garth has pointed out if you do go up a spec, ensure the dimensions are suitable and the terminals will be in the position you need to be able to secure the leads; it's NOT just a case of turning the battery back to front !! Many battery terminals are off set rather than located along the middle line of the battery.

Regards.

Richard.

the 038 battery from halfords is OK, and do not underestimate the usefulness of an easy return should it be necessary. Absolute pain to have to send a battery back, only to be told it isn't faulty......

Halfords tradecard makes them a sensible price too. (about 30% off, and can be quite easy to blag a tradecard, or find a friend who has one and pay cash)

Anyway, as to size, I fit the 063 size as it is very common, though an 075 will also fit. Just has the terminals against the bulkhead, a VERY good thing as it keeps them away from the clamp bar! The std connections all fit. I tend to buy through eurocarparts, order online, use the discount code (again 30%) and pickup locally. Bosch 4yr warranty is my choice....

http://www.eurocarparts.com/063-car-batteries

(use discount code from here  http://www.eurocarparts.com/)

Thanks for the replies, it pretty much confirms what I thought. You get what you pay for and can go as far as you want cost wise.

On another topic about batteries, charging them, on car and still connected, good, bad or no difference?

Ian.

Hello Ian, I've just replaced a Halfords 063 (terminals at the back, away from the clamp) which was 9 years old. It was kept on the car with a CTEK charger connected, never a problem. It's been replaced with an Oldham 063, from a local supplier with a 4 year warranty, not expensive at all. If you're lucky to have a mains supply, the maintenance chargers are a winner. Hope this helps.

The concrete floor thing, Colin- haven't heard that for a while.Never really subscribed to that idea as I just don't get it -why should it be a problem?

I had two practically dead old batteries one 2006 ,the other 2007 from different vehicles last year.Sat them on concrete garage floor (whilst getting around to dispose of them).Connected them each up to a CTEK charger (just to see ) and left them for three months.They then were both able to hold 12.7 v when disconnected for over 2 weeks .They appear to have been substantially rejuvenated -even on the concrete

Vauxhall Vectra battery from Halfords. Fits in the battery tray and has the power to crank the engine for hours* without running flat. The terminals are the other way around/on the other side of the battery but there should be enough cable to reach without modification (was for me).

Yes, they don't always last that long but come with at least a 3-year guarantee so keep your receipt as you can take it back and get a new one - with a new 3-year guarantee last time I had to do it (current one's still happy after about 6 years).

* OK, so not ACTUAL hours but way longer than the 'correct' battery for a Spitfire.

Ian,

I recently bought a battery from Tanya batteries with a 5 year guarantee. They were cheaper than Euro Car  Parts and Costco. Tracked delivery was only £7.98 including the dreaded. Considering some of our illustrious suppliers can charge nearly a fiver to post a washer I thought that was a fair charge.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Car-Batteries-C48.html

You do have to satisfy yourself you've ordered the correct battery. I did notice in the "what other customers have previously fitted" section that somebody has put an 015 into their Triumph Spitfire 1500 Diesel. It may exist.

Regards, Mick

The concrete floor thing, Colin- haven't heard that for a while.

My local and venerable Autoparts Supplier told me that years ago whilst rooting through his store for odd batteries for some of my older cars. Apparently batteries on their wooden shelving units lasted indefinitely but those on the cold floor were always being sent back. I've always kept them of the floor ever since.

Probably a good idea to protect concrete floor from the battery rather than the other way around!.

Years ago battery casings were hard rubber and to a degree porous.It was thought a slow discharge to earth was possible.If therewas dirt or damp there was also a degree of acid creep too on the top

-after carrying an old battery a long distance( dont ask, I was as a teenager) my mother wasn't amused when she found the front of my shirt had disintegrated..

Discharge of standing battery inversely relatesto temperature so there may be even an argument that sitting the battery on the cool concrete will,if anything, help maintain its state of charge....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I remember reading about the concrete floor and 12v battery myth somewhere a while ago...

I use a leisure/marine LM75 battery. CCA and AHr are fine. (12V 75AH 600A)

Starts a 6 Ok and will deep discharge and recover, unlike a conventional car battery. 243mm by 175mm by 175mm, so fits perfect. All of the 190mm high batteries I have checked have no greater capacity or cranking amps than the standard 175mm high batteries.

I thought Hafords batteries were way too expensive. I would expect to pay between 30 to 55 pounds max.

Do make sure you get over 13.8 volts on the battery when charging and closer to 14.7 if you want it to last.

Cheers,

Iain.

My ceteck packed up and a lidl unit for £12 is working well, you have to set the mode for car when connecting but for a fraction of the cost is a good unit.

you dont want to up the capacity too much battery life is much better if the cells are cycled from

charging to discharging keeps the plates working , if its too big you dont get a ballanced use and cells will die early through lack of use

If I sit on a cold floor I dont start too well either

pete

The solar panel sounds an interesting approach , bivvyman.

Any further details - where did you get it?

I have a cheap way of monitoring various batteries whether they are being charged or stored.

You can get digital volt meters on Ebay for less than a tenner each now

They are water proof -I think they are intended for boat use

soldered i to the supply leads and the joint covered in epoxy.

can monitor voltage on stored batteries and recharge when voltage falls.

Also have one visible externally on a car which isn't used much in winter -I dont want a mains cable running to it .-a quick glance at the "the dangle meter' shows me the state of charge. if it starts to fall I connect up to a charger (same leads)

for some reason when I try to attach the the picture it comes upside down ....so has an upside down damn dangle .. but you can get the idea!

post-134-0-98599700-1488796388_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-53434100-1488797588_thumb.jpg

The solar panel sounds an interesting approach , bivvyman.

Any further details - where did you get it?

I have a cheap way of monitoring various batteries whether they are being charged or stored.

You can get digital volt meters on Ebay for less than a tenner each now

They are water proof -I think they are intended for boat use

soldered i to the supply leads and the joint covered in epoxy.

can monitor voltage on stored batteries and recharge when voltage falls.

Also have one visible externally on a car which isn't used much in winter -I dont want a mains cable running to it .-a quick glance at the "the dangle meter' shows me the state of charge. if it starts to fall I connect up to a charger (same leads)

for some reason when I try to attach the the picture it comes upside down ....so has an upside down damn dangle .. but you can get the idea!

Hi my solar charging system was a left over from our Caravanning days - The panel was a free standing 40 amp panel which is now on the garage roof + regulator - the costs have plummeted over the last few years and pretty sure you can purchase the whole kit for £50 or so - though try to get a regulator with a readout like the one in the pic - I did originally have a £10 version with no readout and it took a month to work out it wasnt working !! - The one in the pic can handle 30 amps or so so way over the top for what you require . A good start is http://www.sunstore.co.uk/Portable-Solar-Chargers/   they are not the cheapest but their service is good and the equipment is reliable. The shorter the cable run from the panel to the regulator the better , if this isnt possible use a heavy cable - I think mine is 4amp , only using this as its left over from caravanning 

Paul 

NB most regulators have 2 output feeds like the pic - the second is tripped when the first battery is fully charged 

post-1431-0-58495700-1488800577_thumb.jpg