Which Tyre Brand.

Hi all,

new here and need some current advice on tyres.

Have a MkIII Spit that's back on the road after ~10 years laid up.

Have owned it approx 20.

When I laid it up it was running on Pirelli P2000 175/70R13 which suited it at the time.

Obviously they don't exist any more !

I searched the forum, but can't find what people are currently fitting. If I should be looking somewhere for reviews, please point me in the right direction.

I need 4 new ones on a slightly stiffened MKIII Spit.

So, I know this is a subjective question, but what's current favourite brand these days.

(runs for cover to observe from the sidelines)

https://www.justtyres.co.uk/buy-tyres-online

well pirelli are on just tyres 175 70 13

tyres on the drive and event-tryes do those sizes in variety of brands

all depends if you do limited mileages, and dont drive like you stole it, many budget tyres will do for

7 years when you need to think about replacements as they go hard with age and have no grip

rather than wear out

pete

thanks for the replies,

I remember when I fitted them that the advice was "don't go near a Dunlop, they're too noisy"

IIRC the Michelins were very hard.

ETyres have a Pirelli P4, a Dunlop, a Goodyear, a continental, a Michelin, etc etc.

So, plenty of tyres brands, just wondered if any are particularly suiting Spitfires at the minute.

If not, I'll pick a reasonable brand and a tread pattern I like ;-)

I have Kumho tyres on my Herald and find them very good, grip well and are reasonably priced and wear well. Falken are good as well but are a little softer.

This is the problem isn't it, both of those come up on etyres in the size I want, and they say

"fuel economy : F". (on a scale of A to G, G being worst)

This probably means they are softer than a "C" Goodyear.

Which means that the Kumho could be better, and the Goodyear might be really hard.

Mind you, the Pirelli's are "F" as well.

what to do, what to do.

i would guess there is little 'mileage' in worrying about F or A fuel economy on a classic thats not fuel efficient in the first place

and it seems the higher the profile they  lower  to F    ,   noise and wet grip are more of a interest in no  particular order 

big chunky treads dont suit the look of a Spitfire 

as for width what wheels have you got  spit III had 145 13 on 3.5D " steel or 4.5J wires     if thats the case 175 is far too wide ....my thoughts 

Pete

ah yes, I'm not worried about fuel economy !

I was wondering if that was an indicator of the hardness of the tyre. On a modern car we had some Dunlop rain clearing tyres (or some such marketing ploy) at one time, looked nice, but were rock solid horrid tyres.

TBH, I was just wondering what people were fitting these days, if there's not a clear cut "this is suiting", then I'll just choose.

I really can't remember what size wheels they are, it's on wires, 175/70's look about right on the car, and it used to run well on them, but at the moment it's riding really hard, due to some very old tyres !

cheers

Dave.

I am running on a new set of 175/13  Michelin Energy's  as I have them on my modern (Different Profile) . I have been happy with them as a mid-range mid-priced but quality tyre  I am running on 5" wheels though

Aidan

If you like your own coffee  places like event-tyres and tyres on the drive come to you and do a good job  ive used event many times 

very professional and van full of all the right gear, to fit balance etc on your drive ,  thats if you dont like tyre bays and draughty waiting rooms

Pete

Round and black are my two first considerations.

Dont dismiss the Chinese tyres, they are made with new moulds and balance well plus seem to do everything else demanded of a tyre these days and are a good price.

Adrian

Hello Dave.

Despite your concerns with Dunlop, of which there should be none as they are a very decent tyre these days; being owned by Goodyear.

You may want to look at a very nice tyre that has recently been produced and that is the Dunlop Street Response2 - sizes to suit all vehicles.

I will be fitting 165's on to my Dunlop D1 wheels having completed the CV shaft conversion.

National Tyres and Black Circles are doing each corner all-in for less than £50. The spec ratings are very good and feedback is positive with the tyre.

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/brand/dunlop/street-response-2/

Another option for your list.

Regards.

Richard.

Round and black are my two first considerations.

Dont dismiss the Chinese tyres, they are made with new moulds and balance well plus seem to do everything else demanded of a tyre these days and are a good price.

My local tyre fitter is a friend of many years (he's had a lot of business from me!) and he stocks a lot of Far-Eastern tyres with names I've never heard of; many times he's advised me that I'm just wasting money going for the well-known brands especially on cars that see very little mileage over the year. It's not tread wear that's the problem but sidewall cracking and a cheaper set that lasts three years costs less than an expensive set that has more tread left but still needs changed after the same three years due to age damage...

I'm currently on Firestone Multihawk 2 tyres which seem to be lasting well, though, but my Michelins will have to be thrown out due to two years static in the garage.

I can see that different people want different things from a tyre.

Some just want something that is OK to get about, others want a tyre that is good when a car is driven hard.

I (personally) would never fit cheap tyres, having had them on cars (or indeed wheels!)I have bought. 

The difference is day and night when "pressing on" especially when the weather is not ideal.

And Colin has made an excellent point (again) in that tyres do age, but shockingly many owners only care that the tyre has enough tread on to pass an MoT. I really hope that tyre age will become an MoT check. I was truly horrified when lining up for the tracklaps at Spa 2 years ago. Some cars were on tyres that were very very old. I even spotted some SR tyres, so 20 years old or more? Decided it was best to keep well out of the way of that car!

some one was bragging on a car thread elswhere that they were still on the original tyres   40 years on   mad or what  

and theres a disclaimer on some well used   online supplies that clearly implies tyres may be  pre 2012 and wont have a date  marking   $%&*())??????

What !!!!the  heck   even 2012 is pushing your luck with hardening  compound and internal corrosion of the steel bands 

just had some uniroyal rain expert 3 on the picasso  at just tyres as event dodnt do the best price , and he wanted to sell me some mabec ??  spanish with a lifetime warranty on failure good if you want a budget tyre  maybe 

my view get the best you can and change them at 7 yrs   its all you have between you and the tarmac