Does anti-freeze do anything other than what it's name would indicate?

Waynebaby

Hi All,

This may be a silly question, but apart from the obvious, does anybody know of any other reason to use anti-freeze in the cooling system? I had it in the back of my mind that it has some anti-corrosion properties but judging by the rusty black mank I've just flushed out of the system on my GT6 I'm beginning to doubt that. I've just refilled the system with soft water and was planning to leave it like that since there is no possibility of the car ever seeing sub-zero temperatures.

Can anyone think of a good reason to do otherwise?

Wayne

Pete,

The Unipart blue anti-freeze was probably about 14 months/1400 miles old and was roughly 30% concentration. I decided to change the coolant when I noticed that the overflow bottle kept developing a layer of sediment at the bottom. When I took the bottom hose off the radiator what came out was pretty clear but the block drain plug initially ran like ink! Reverse flushing seems to have got rid of the worst of it.

I might run without anti-freeze for a couple of months just to see what happens. 

Wayne

The block drain is the lowest point of the water jacket, so any crud sinks down there, and may not be disturbed by further flow.

+1 for Pete's words on anticorrosion, which protects against electrolytic corrosion between the iron and other metals in the system.

Soft/hard water dpersn't matter - do you see a kettle furr up on one boil?

If you want to use plain water, boil it first, to drive out any dissolved oxygen, and pour it slowly while still hot without disturbance to minimise the amount it can reabsorb.

John

My car ran with no antifreeze for 20 years. Didn't take it out in winter and garage part of the house, so no below zero temperatures. Blew a head gasket last year! :lol: When I flushed out the system there really was a lot of crud came out. Received wisdom is, antifreeze is good for your engine, not just for freezing up.

• 8 months later...
On 21/06/2017 at 10:44 AM, Mjit said:

It's very unusual to be able to buy "Antifreeze", normally all you can buy is "Antifreeze and Summer Coolant, with corrosion protection".

Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Hi obviously an old thread but iv seen other mention using proper blue antifreeze and just wondering why I shouldn’t use modern antifreeze with summer coolant? 

Thanks 

13 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Hi obviously an old thread but iv seen other mention using proper blue antifreeze and just wondering why I shouldn’t use modern antifreeze with summer coolant? 

Thanks 

OAT antifreeze has been found to damage seals and gaskets in older engines. It also has a habit of finding leaks! (From the V8 Register website regarding the Rover V8).

Gully

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I bought bird seed once, it grew into plants instead

Colin, do you still have them? You can dry and smoke them for beneficial effect.

Halfords no longer sell blue antifreeze, only OAT. But Euro Car parts have it.

Doug

29 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

https://citroenclassics.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/what-is-the-right-coolant-to-use-in-our-older-cars/

And others of the net, antifreeze in my modern car is for life but in my Vitesse every two years.

Regards

Paul

Actually not true. It lasts longer as a rule, but still needs to be changed every few years - probably 4 or 5. 

Propolene glycol sound a plan  much safer for cars and pets  get it from amazon and others.

Ihave always read never mix iat and oat  it goes to form a gel and clogs the whole sytem 

Anti freeze has always been a leak seaker  , from the 60s till present, 

Pete

Yes, and if you get the propylene glycol intended for central heating systems, the corrosion inhibitors last for 20 years or so, not the 2 or 3 for normal anti-freeze. Propylene glycol is a bit more expensive, but ethylene glycol is banned from central heating because pets & children - and Austrian wine drinkers - might be tempted to taste what's coming out of a leaking radiator. I don't know if it's an urban myth, but allegedly, Rolls Royce spec'ed Fernox Alphi-11 in their engines, and that's what I've got in the Spit.

Back in the day, you used to add anti-freeze in the winter, then flush out and have pure water in the summer. Was this because cooling systems were marginal and you needed the heat transfer of 100% H2O??? In any case, ethylene glycol was used because it was cheaper than propylene glycol - significantly so back in those days - and it was an on-going cost. Now-a-days, we have anti-freeze all year round because of the corrosion resistance. Seemingly, cooling systems from the 50's or 60's onwards were less marginal and could cope in summer. Even so, ethylene glycol persisted as anti-freeze for vehicles, presumably because of the cost advantage (less so than earlier times) and because "that's what we've always used".

Cheers, Richard

13 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Actually not true. It lasts longer as a rule, but still needs to be changed every few years - probably 4 or 5. 

Manufactures recommendation is two years but as with many things just covering their backsides.

As I understand it is only the corrosion inhibiter that degrades, its a pity that this can not be bought separately.

Regards

Paul

5 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Don't pay that much! https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/fernox-alphi11-central-heating-93-770 Add £5 for the delivery.

Looks to me as if it's not much more per litre as the Granville stuff and other ethylene glycol. Albeit you have to buy 5-litres.

• Thanks 1