** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

Should be ok, but I would still do a test to make sure that they are compatible if you haven't used the two products together before. It would be heartbreaking to spend all the time prepping and painting the cellulose only to have it ruined with a top coat that acted more like paint stripper.  It has happened to me in the past on a small scale. When I start painting, I fully intend to brush paint the various paints etc onto a test piece before I do the first panel.  Thankfully, my first panel will be the hardtop as its no so big!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As mentioned previously here, last year while I was replacing my Ujs, I took the opportunity to polybush the shock absorbers although I still need to find a replacement to the well recomended KYB units which are no longer available. I am looking to 're-bush' other areas of the car and will take the opportunity to buy them at the NEC show next week. The question is which areas of the car, suspension etc actually benefit from the better quality rubber? Can anyone advise please. As usual, this will be subjective to personal taste etc., but a rough guide would be useful please.

On 13/03/2019 at 13:56, Paul H said:

Canleys reccomend polybush everything except trunnions which is what im doing on my Vitesse mk2. 

Paul 

That’s the route I’m going given the quality of modern rubber replacements, as I don’t want to doing it all over again in two years.

Karl

Karl. This is exactly what I thought and going to the PC show it is a good opportunity to pick up the bushes that I will be needing. However a full kit contains bushes that I probably won't need for some time, if ever and also some that I have already fitted, hence the enquiry as to what members consider important.

Has anyone repaired their windscreen gutter/rain channel? Repair pieces are available from R1mmer Bros at a rather expensive price for a piece of folded strip metal. How do they fit, weld, rivets, structural 2k adhesive and what would be the best way of removing the old gutters without distorting the screen frame. I could, of couse try shaping a piece of metal and using that but I don't have a metal folder and getting an acceptable straight line might be difficult.

The old ones were originally bodged with fibreglass but are now showing rust again where they meet the main frame.

Did this on my Vitesse a long while back, drilled out the spot welds had to weld metal into the frame as the channel makes a nice moisture trap. Plug welded the new ones on but the adhesive might be the better option as trying to seal the outside gap was awkward as access very difficult.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul. I wondered how they had been fitted. Should have done this when it was painted 30 years ago but had no idea that it is/appears to be a fairly straight forward job.  Did you use a pre-made repair panel or make you own.  I was thinking about trying a length of Zintec (I think its called) and trying to make a suitable piece. Fixing it into place with a structural adhesive like Kent Rapid Bond, having cleaned up and treated any rust damage to the frame.

With regard the bushes that makes the biggest difference, I would have thought the following:

Front

• Wishbone bushes
  • Top and bottom shock mounting bushes
  • Anti -roll bar mounts

Rear

• Top and bottom shock mounting bushes
  • Spring eye bushes
  • Track rod bushes

Diff mounting bushes would be good, but are a pain if you aren’t dropping the entire diff.

As for the rain gutters, as per Paul’s comment, spot weld drill, or grind the spot welds down until the old gutters fall off.

If they are anything like mine, you will be looking at welding the frame itself where Triumph created that wonderful moisture trap!

Karl

Thanks Karl/Paul. I may order some gutters off RBros and collect them next weekend, also make up the order with polybush to get the 15% discount they are offering. I polybushed the rear spring eyes and shocks as mentioned earlier but not the trackrods.  Agree about the diff though. I have no plans to drop it in the near future so will leave well alone. I will also leave the front for the moment until I can borrow a set of spring compressors

Does anyone else have any ideas before I put the order through. All contributions are always gratefully received,

Thanks Karl but you would have to drop them off on the way to Lancaster/Ormskirk, I believe!! The next time you drop off/collect yur kids. Not to worry, I think the local club meet has a loan set. I will investigate later in the Spring. Many, many thanks for the offer though. Thus is what this forum us all about and sets it aside (and ahead) of the others,

• Like 1