** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

I cant get a chart up on this tablet but in the good old days there were RSTV bolt tensile grades

https://www.workshopwarehouse.co.uk/news/understanding-the-grading-of-high-tensile-bolts/

Looks  as though   S is 8.8 in new money  R has disapeared  cant find T or V but reckon they are in the 10.9 region

I have some with a gkn ref on others S with the three blade propellor marks 

They must be a bolt with shank not full threaded set screw the shank takes on some loading , threads will wreck the coupling holes if theres any movements,  

Part number 132023  3/8 unf   or 129361   if 5/16" unf

Pete

Ok now I understand. I'm not sure that they are even the original correct bolts. When the car was originally restored, the mechanic put all the nuts and bolts in a bucket without labling them. When he put the thing back together.. who knows. Since I started work again 2 years ago, I have been replacing nuts and bolts with new (on the whole). I may have a set on new ones somewhere as I remember buying several 'kits' of bolts for the body shell, engine etc. Some were used, some not. The UJ bolts look in poor condition, hence the question, but it looks like they may be going back on for the time being, until my next order for spares.

Pete - The good news is that the bolts appear to be original and have the legend 'auto V' on the head. I assume that I can replace the lock nuts with new normal nuts and washers.

Regarding the extention greaser nipple thingy, is there any danger that it will get broken off. There is a little concern about them on other sites and some recommend fitting, greasing and replacing the extention nipple with a small cut down bolt to cap the hole. Any experience with these breaking anyone?

Thanks gents. All information is gratefully received. No grub screw on these UJ's from P*dd*cks.  Will I be ok cutting down a suitable sized bolt and cutting a screwdriver slot in the end to make a grub screw or is that asking for trouble?

One UJ done, not without problems. Firstly did the 'little round bit', went on no problems despite my worries about the bearing cups going on straight. Easy this...!!!  The third cup went on no problem, then the forth. Tried to fit the cir-clips... and you experienced peoples know exactly what is coming next... the cup won't go in far enough to get the last cir-clip on!! Thinks... this has all the hall marks of a needle bearing lying at the bottom of the cup.  Carefully... oh so carefully.. pressed out the cups and across the bottom of one, two of the little b*ggers.  Replaced them, put a little extra grease in and put both in the freezer for 20minutes (I had, previously chilled the bearing cups <read that somewhere> to stiffen up the grease, but, it's still very warm in the garage).  I also cleaned up the inside of the yoke bits and lightly greased that. Tried again, straight on no problem.  Ready to re-assemble now.

Next problem... I have got the rubber bush out of the leaf spring and cannot get the new one in. I have removed the inner metal tube and got rid of the rubber. There is now a larger ring within the spring eye. I cannot get the new rubber through it, with or without the inner tube that came with the replacement. Do I take out (somehow) the 'outer tube/ring or is there some technical way of pressing the new bush in that I cannot figure out?

33 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Next problem... I have got the rubber bush out of the leaf spring and cannot get the new one in. I have removed the inner metal tube and got rid of the rubber. There is now a larger ring within the spring eye. I cannot get the new rubber through it, with or without the inner tube that came with the replacement. Do I take out (somehow) the 'outer tube/ring or is there some technical way of pressing the new bush in that I cannot figure out?

There is an outer metal tube which needs to be removed using an appropriate socket

Paul 

Thanks Paul - OK. I have just been looking at the parts list on Rimmers and the spring doesn't show the 'outer' ring.  I have found, would you believe, 6 standard replacement rubbers in my spares box and they are 3mm(ish) less in diameter than the polybush blues that Rimmers supplied me with.  Job for after tea I think. Getting the rubber out was bad enough but I thought it would be worth it while the drive shaft was off... I was wrong.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom.

Pete.. dead right. I fought me all the way. Wouldn't press out, three hack saws, big, junior and the type that takes a blade for using as a pad saw. Finally weakened it enough to press out. I can see why people give up or say 'don't do it'. The new one has gone in and now ready to fit the drive shaft tomorrow. I just hope it is all worthwhile. Especially the polybushes.

Still only 3 wheels at the moment, but the offside is back together.

Started on the near side, wheel off... what, not again!!!! Another leaf spring strap bolt is loose. I just dont beleive the quality of this!!! Anyway things are going well except that I shock absorbers are a total mismatch. One is blue with Lockhead stamped on it, the other is black.. no maker. I think I need new ones. There was a discussion a few weeks ago here about the best 'road' shockers, but I can't find it. I think that Gaz came out best. Help again folks, if you don't mind.

If you just want ok road normal use avoid adjustables  very expensive and you have no clues about the settings 

I was always messing about , gaz on front spax on back .  Stated with gaz at the back but the bushes were clearance hopeless

Kyb  did good std ,  avoid cheap black ones have a poor reputaion ,    stick to mid priced

Clive had some good clues

Pete

Thanks for the 'lead' Pete. Did a search on kyb and foundcthe thread I was looking for. The KYBs look like the way to go for what I need. Incidently, the black shock is actually red under a coat of black and 'clicks' when it is turned upside down. Is this normal?  Will the Lockheed be an original 40 year old model?

Job done, apart from bleeding the brakes which Lady BW will assist with tomorrow. It has taken forever, considering there were only 14 nuts and bolts to deal with. I do understand why Doug had to move his vice to press out some of the rubbers to convert to polybush and also why Colin burned his out. I will find out tomorrow if I have solved the clunk from the back end and if the ride is any smoother. New shocks are on my Christmas list, but should be easier to fit now everything has been reassembled with copperslip on the bolt threads

So after a frustrating day, I go to the computer to find out that Microsoft have found me. A friendly spash screen greeted me to say that I had been updated to the April Windows 10 update. Nothing works properly!! I didn't want it then (see separate thread) and I don't want it now. Desktop PC rolling back to previous version as I type.  I know  it will get me in time but I will put it off as long as I can!! The end to a perfect day.

However, as normal, a huge thank you to all of you who have contributed with answers to my questions. Without your help and input, I could not have done it. The power of this forum to help people like me is overwhelming.      BW

Took her out for a run yesterday. The clunk from the back has gone.. result!!! Stuck in a traffic jam due to accident and temp starts to rise. Is it better to turn off the engine, fan stops no water circulation, but engine not producing heat or let the engine idle and risk temp going too high. I did know the answer years ago but forgotten. Oh and by the way, heater now not working again, tried the old heater trick to cool water down but all I got was cool air. Next job on the list, matrix flush.

Thanks Pete.

Here's one for the electronics experts. In my Spit I have a 'vintage' Moss alarm system. I have only one remote key fob. Replacements cost a fortune and it would be cheaper to replace the complete system. Now old fobs are currently available on fleabay for about £8.00. Is it possible to retune these to match mine. The fob has a rotary  'trimmer' inside but I don't know if it will actually retune the fob, or whether it will need a new chip installing, in which case, forget it. Any thoughts electroexperts!!??

no idea last one i saw was in a renault magnum where a moss alarm had been tailored to operate two relays which reversed the electronic impulse generator cable to the Tachograph, brought in to me from the police , it was simple stop truck switch to rest mode hit the moss button and drive off , had also been getting warranty claims for poor fuel consumption when it was actually running 12hours with no mileage recording

so i have a avid hate of them from those days ,  after this they   introduced the armoured cable to stop interference , now its all digital 

so moss just relates to the Mrs and her blasted hanging baskets   and she wont reprogram at all 

pete