AA Book of the Car

Paul H

Hi I can recommend the AA Book of the Car  for anybody looking to understand how cars worked in the 60's & early 70's  - The book explains the basics together with fault finding and  with 380 pages a good start and an easy read if you are new to maintaining your Triumph . Best source is Ebay and take your time in buying as the book can be purchased cheap. I paid £3.50 delivered on a buy it now . The book weighs just short of 2 kilos 
1058279063_bookofthecar.thumb.jpg.707bf750d36606ec20387581d7c96731.jpg 

Paul 

32 minutes ago, steveweblin said:

Also worth trying your local Oxfam bookshop - they have a great variety of books in my experience.  They sell online too.

Back in the day I thought every home had the AA Book of the Car!

Some excellent books in Oxfam; look out for the AA book of Car Care and a large blue-covered hardback called "Servicing your Car". 'The Dashboard Revolution' is also a great read about how dashboards went from one gauge to many, and how to add more to your own car yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servicing-Your-Car-Various-Book-Club-Associates-1980-Hardcove/272961657392?hash=item3f8dc85a30:g:sT0AAOSwR2RaH8GY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-car-care-book/283097599190?hash=item41e9ee8cd6:g:zbAAAOSwdGFYtwvB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-DASHBOARD-REVOLUTION-BOOK-SMITHS-GAUGES-jackie-stewart-brockbank/273385673484?hash=item3fa70e530c:g:mWgAAOSwofdbY2ko

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Did they ever look down the road or too busy watching all the gauges

What on earth was there to measure 

Temperatures.....

Top tank

Bottom tank 

Sump 

Lock 

Head

Gearbox

Diff

Pressures

Eng oil

Coolant

Brake vac

Manifold vac

Fuel supply

More ??

Rear view mirror angle, brake pad pressure, screenwash pressure, under-buttock temperature....

In any case isn't that an MG dash, so they had to have something to take their minds off THAT?

I have crossed swords with 'World of Books' through Amazon before over their pricing policy. They were asking £40.00 for a book that was still available new for £9.99. I have also seen their vans collecting unwanted books from charity shops. They said their pricing reflected the demand and rarity of the book!!! The fleabay price is probably nearer the mark..sorry A/F

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2018 at 8:43 PM, classiclife said:

Doug,

You are a man who loves instruments and instrument filled dashboards - will this do ??

Regards.

Richard.

Instruments for Doug !!.jpg

Crossover from the Voltage Stabiliser thread:

How many voltage stabilisers would you need for this lot and where would you put them?

Oddly enough and joking aside, probably only 1x VS.

The units can run up to a max of 3x gauges so if you count fuel, coolant and probably outside temp amongst that display I think that will be all gauges covered requiring a VS.

That's my guess for a pint !!

Parvenue!  1925.

Note, this is the Twenty Fifth Edition!   I think that new editions were more frequent than annually, but the books were written by "The Staff of The Motor" magazine that was foudned in 1903, so first shortly afterwards?

It includes advertisements for the "Jiffy" Vulcanizer, "the recognised modern method of repair",  Tapley gradient meters "Know what your car can do!", calibrated in "One in ....", and AC-Sphinx sparking plugs "The Standard Sparking Plug of the World" - 5/- each (! £15 today!).   And of course, car manufacturers like Humber, Swift, and Trojan, advertised as "The Solid Tyred Trojan".

It was a different world.

John

The Motor Manual 25th Edition.jpg

• Thanks 1

Old motoring books are fascinating.

They are fairly cheap, require little maintenance and can be enjoyed  comfortably in the worst of weathers..

Autocar did something along the lines  your “Motor” book, John.

The cut-aways and the adverts are  wonderful

-who could resist buying  the “Nightingale” ’ exhaust whistle? and doesn’t   the Autovac  looked so cunningly clever? ( though the crews of WW1 tank s equipped with these towards the end of the war allegedly used to say,” The  attack will proceed at ... hours. ... God and Autovac willing”.

2FFA8794-FC44-4F04-9454-F6E2B7E7425B.jpeg

2667C9E5-A21A-4C9F-B9C3-AD0DA86EF2E5.jpeg

DFDFAC80-CC38-40CB-9542-AD38E757538B.jpeg

D838FEDC-CE51-489A-A476-2EFFC928DD42.jpeg

It's a great book (AA Book of the Car) and one I have often advocated.  There's just the chapter where they do a chicken-wire-and-filler "repair" to the structural cills on a MkII Jag (if I recall correctly) and a similar bodge repairs to a Morris 1000....   Ignore that chapter and the rest of the book is excellent.

Tom

The title brought back memories of an advert that used to be placed by a small engineering firm every few months in the local paper

On 8/19/2018 at 8:47 PM, Colin Lindsay said:

Don't forget the B&Q "Basic Car Maintanance" book, which I can't find listed anywhere but have a copy on my shelf, dating from 1984.

I DID find this one, though. Comments at your own risk...  "Oh look, it's even got coathooks"...

book.jpg.2d305107008a39fda44dc6305bd6217e.jpg

“ Wanted - women for cleaning”