Continental touring kit.

poppyman

Not sure about (jokey comment from Colin) the " Remain " thing. I thought it was us, who wanted to get away from, them?.

Also, because of more (currently at least), ease of access to markets between countries, maybe a kit like that is not so important, as was years ago (access the supplier, via the net) and get a spare part in a few days)?.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

Not when we've finally Brexited!  A kit will be an absolute necessity, imported spare parts will take weeks and cost £££.  LHD drive will be compulsorily done on the dock side and a man with a flag will have to walk in front of us all the way to Paris and beyond.

db  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Not sure about (jokey comment from Colin) the " Remain " thing. I thought it was us, who wanted to get away from, them?.

Also, because of more (currently at least), ease of access to markets between countries, maybe a kit like that is not so important, as was years ago (access the supplier, via the net) and get a spare part in a few days)?.

Dave 

In a few days? When I order from a UK supplier it takes a week to get to Normandy.

A kit should now be a corkscrew ( Britain seens to have gone to screw top wine bottles in a big way), botle opener and knife to cut breag and cheese with ?

4 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I was just surprised at the amount of kit in there.... Head gasket, valves, rocker gasket, carb gaskets, hoses plus loads of other bits that you could not fit at the roadside. Usually you got a few bulbs and warning triangle.

Tony. 

When staying in the UK I tend to take a similar approach, but when on the continent I tend to carry things like head gaskets. I may not be able to fit them at the road side, but I might be able to persuade a local garage to fit them for me.... without having to wait for one to be sent from the UK. But that's probably just my paranoia.

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

In a few days? When I order from a UK supplier it takes a week to get to Normandy.

A kit should now be a corkscrew ( Britain seens to have gone to screw top wine bottles in a big way), botle opener and knife to cut breag and cheese with ?

Sorry should have been BreaD - been using the corkscrew again ?

25 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Goodness!. I hope it doesn't take longer when uk is out then.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

29 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Goodness!. I hope it doesn't take longer when uk is out then.

Dave

It could do as there might be customs checks. In theory I should be able to buy without UK VAT being charged, but would have French VAT to pay at this end.

Oh what fun we shall have! You lot might even get duty free shops again, that will give an incentive to visit Le Mans.

3 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

When staying in the UK I tend to take a similar approach, but when on the continent I tend to carry things like head gaskets. I may not be able to fit them at the road side, but I might be able to persuade a local garage to fit them for me.... without having to wait for one to be sent from the UK. But that's probably just my paranoia.

What will you be taking on RBRR Sam? You should see what my mate Bruce is taking for his Stag :) 

Tony.

My RBRR list is currently:

Tools:
Imperial combination spanner set.
Imperial+metric small socket set (1/4" drive)
Imperial socket set. (1/2" drive)
Torque wrench (1/2" drive)
Screwdrivers
Wire cutter/crimp tool
Stromberg carb adjuster
Hammer, chisel, drift
Large adjustable spanner
Tow rope

Spares:
Dizzy cap, points, condensor to suit 1850 Dolomite distributor
HT Leads
Jubilee clips, petrol hose clips
Lengths of water hose
Lengths of petrol hose
Scotchlocks, lengths of wire, crimp connectors
Bulbs: H4 + "standard 70s selection"
Various 1850 gaskets (inlet manifold, thermostat housing etc.)
Maybe an alternator

Consumables:
20w50 engine oil,AQF automatic gearbox oil,EP90 gear oil,Water,Petrol,Instant gasket/RTV compound, Brake fluid

Safety:
2xFire extinguisher,Hi-vis vests,Torch,Warning Triangle

Hmm, my "to pack" list for the RBRR

Front wheel bearing kit

Alternator and belt

Assorted Bulbs/wire/connectors/tape/fuses/relays etc

Assorted nuts/bolts/cable ties/gaffa tape/strong wire

Oil/petrol/water/screenwash/grease/brake fluid/radweld/adhesives/sealants

Scissor jack and folding axle stand

Rain ponchos!

Triangle/torches/flashing beacon thingy

Master cylinder seal kits

Assorted hoses and clips

Electric fuel pump (bolted/wired in place, will take 2 mins to swap from manual pump if required)

Usual toolkit, 3/8 drive socket set/hammer/spanners/allen keys/pliers etc etc etc.

What could possibly go wrong! Its only 2300 miles door to door.

16 hours ago, daverclasper said:

You voted remain? Come into my house, lets drink wine while we wait for the breakdown lorry. Let me introduce you to my family!

You voted leave? Stand there in the rain and make your own way back to Dover, you squirrel's dropping!

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You voted remain? Come into my house, lets drink wine while we wait for the breakdown lorry. Let me introduce you to my family!

You voted leave? Stand there in the rain and make your own way back to Dover, you squirrel's dropping!

I voted remain. Get that bottle cracked.

41 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Remain, leave, what's in a word?

More importantly, what's in the bottle? Let's drink to all the differing views in the world, and respect them all.

I'll drink to that, if nobody disagrees.  sorry wrong drink ?