Halfords

dougbgt6

Battery died in my modern, onto Halfords web site, nearest available is 40 miles away. Phoned local Halfords,.

”Yes we got one” Hooray!

”Can you deliver it?”

”Only if you order on line”

”On line says you haven’t got one, so I can’t order it”

”Sorry, you’ll have to come get it”

”But my car doesn’t work!”

”Sorry”

😡😡😡😡😡😡

db

after retiriing i worked at a Citroen garage doing quality checks on the work done and anoying the techys.,

some cars have really offending stinks

wet dogs, dog poo, dog unrine, mouldy burgers,old nappy bags,    some   absolutely horrendous, some mobility cars needed a deep clean to move them on 

and people sit in all this and drive  ...unbeliveable 

Doug iif you were not hiding in scotland i would have deliverd a battery   ...well for a bacon bun  Ha 

hope you have it sorted ... explains all the funny warning lights,   well    it not christmas yet

Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

after retiriing i worked at a Citroen garage doing quality checks on the work done and anoying the techys.,

some cars have really offending stinks

wet dogs, dog poo, dog unrine, mouldy burgers,old nappy bags,    some   absolutely horrendous, some mobility cars needed a deep clean to move them on 

and people sit in all this and drive  ...unbeliveable 

Doug iif you were not hiding in scotland i would have deliverd a battery   ...well for a bacon bun  Ha 

hope you have it sorted ... explains all the funny warning lights,   well    it not christmas yet

Pete

I feel for you, Pete.  

At College, we were given an old Nissan to prepare for Autocross.  It so stank of dog that we stripped the interior and power washed it, inside.    It STILL stank of dog, so we did it again, with Flash in the water.    That fixed it.   

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad car smells:

I bought my Spitfire from it’s first owner, a delightful old lady in her mid eighties who drove everywhere with her very spoilt little dog on the front passenger seat.

As small yappy dogs go,  I suppose  he was quite cute  - but  he smelt really awful and he seemed to molt excessively.

When I bought the car, her little companion had long since yapped his last.

However with my purchase I learnt that it came with  the persistent   essence of her stinky, beloved little friend.

Even after the  seats and interior were removed, the floors,the inner and outer rear sills were all   replaced and the A posts repaired and the body separated from the chassis and further welding repairs were carried out,I am sure the smell   is still  detectable when I open the garage.

Strange things  is smells.

10 hours ago, Vanadium23 said:

Bad car smells:

I bought my Spitfire from it’s first owner, a delightful old lady in her mid eighties who drove everywhere with her very spoilt little dog on the front passenger seat.

As small yappy dogs go,  I suppose  he was quite cute  - but  he smelt really awful and he seemed to molt excessively.

When I bought the car, her little companion had long since yapped his last.

However with my purchase I learnt that it came with  the persistent   essence of her stinky, beloved little friend.

Even after the  seats and interior were removed, the floors,the inner and outer rear sills were all   replaced and the A posts repaired and the body separated from the chassis and further welding repairs were carried out,I am sure the smell   is still  detectable when I open the garage.

Strange things  is smells.

The smell of dog in a car is on par with milk and vomit, you can take the seats and carpets out and steam clean everything....... And it is still there :(  I don't know why this is? A heavy smokers car can be cleaned, even cigar and pipe smoke. It's no wonder car hire companies charge if a car comes back smelly.

Tony. 

• Like 1

I’ve owned my Audi 16 years and hoovered it out many times. Even now, every time I hoover it I get a few more hairs from the PO’s westie  terriers. No dog smell though. The smell is the lingering ghost of EP90 from an allegedly drained T9 that tipped over.......

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm convinced I can smell diesel fumes from my latest purchase; every so often I get a smoky whiff from somewhere but every passenger that's been in it claims they can't smell anything.

Maybe my nose is just being paranoid.

At Le Mans (24hr) in 2018 different people would randomly get a waft of petrol smell that would quickly pass.  Took a couple of days blaiming different people filling their petrol generators before I popped the Spitfire bonnet to check the oil...and found the fuel pump had started weaping fuel up past the screw again.😟

8 hours ago, poppyman said:

The smell of dog in a car is on par with milk and vomit, you can take the seats and carpets out and steam clean everything....... And it is still there :(  I don't know why this is? A heavy smokers car can be cleaned, even cigar and pipe smoke. It's no wonder car hire companies charge if a car comes back smelly.

Tony. 

Other  smelly things ...

People , you know ,the stale sweat/fags/superannuated underwear ones..

They can walk down several aisles of a supermarket and the smell just  stays behind  after they have gone.They go on some where else and that also smells  really bad  after they have left.

I guess everywhere they  go, all day long it smells bad. There is  no limit.

Having distributed it generously everywhere they go, how come they  don’t   just run out if it by say midday, and it have to  wait for it to  build up again?

Puzzling things, smells.

One of the last hotels I stayed in had an entire spa / sauna / fitness suite and the guy at the next table had obviously just come straight from it. He was overweight to start with, sweating heavily and wearing a very small t-shirt, and the stench of sweat was overpowering. I made a suggestion on their Tripadvisor review that they might have some kind of minimal dress code... :)

Second best / worst smell I ever experienced in a car (worst ever was a search dog van) was a Minivan in which someone had once thrown up over the dashboard... everytime you put the demisters on the smell came out again.

I spilt some milk under the spitfire seat in the 1980s, could not remove the smell until I wiped it over with white vinegar. This neutralized the alkaline of the milk then I washed the vinegar out. Still got the car but not got the smell.

This seemed to work.

Graham

55 minutes ago, Vanadium23 said:

Other  smelly things ...

People , you know ,the stale sweat/fags/superannuated underwear ones..

They can walk down several aisles of a supermarket and the smell just  stays behind  after they have gone.They go on some where else and that also smells  really bad  after they have left.

I guess everywhere they  go, all day long it smells bad. There is  no limit.

Having distributed it generously everywhere they go, how come they  don’t   just run out if it by say midday, and it have to  wait for it to  build up again?

Puzzling things, smells.

I know what you mean about those people...... I have been known more than once to drop bars of soap or shower gel in their trolly. whether or not they get the hint i don't know or if they find it and take it out before it goes on the checkout belt.........

Tony.

20 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Sorry to say, but petrol! A couple of gallons on the garage floor. I’m sure I can still smell it in the house a year later. How did it make it’s way from the garage at the front to the conservatory at the back? 😱

db

I think petrol vapour is heavy so creeps along the floor

Roger

Ps in a former life i used the repair petrol pumps and my van always smelled of petrol! 

But may have been the gallon or two that had if by magic stayed in my mearuring can!

But thankfully they did not do diesel!

One of my management cars a Renault 18 estate  had a trip collecting a tray of eggs from Mum , on the back seat (silly boy) and one emergency stop all 24 dived off the seat and  broke on the floor after many cleans the car was fine till you parked up in the sun , after an hour of slow cooking it was really  awful  

Pete