Rocker cover paint

sulzerman

There are probably as many grades of powder as there are oils.  Powdercoat adhesion depends to a large degree on preparation. Most small powdercoating companies just use cheap powder unless specified then the price goes up, a lot. I spec'd a facade system coating on a office block 300 metres from the sea using marine grade from Vertik-Al in Birmingham. Finish was super smooth and because it had a flexidiser in it extremely chip resistant and 20 year guarantee (with caveats) but cost three times standard. However for small quantities it would be too expensive, £250 min charge.

Best prep for steel parts will always be electrocoating but again you need volume.

I agree with Andrew ali rocker cover and hammerite air box.

Iain

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Hate the stuff and wouldn't let it near a car - just personal experience, but it was bad experience!

3 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I've also had bad experiences with Hammerite

Guys! You can't leave it like that! What happened?!!  :o

I've used it with no problems and Yellow Hammerite IS mimosa yellow 

Doug

16 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Guys! You can't leave it like that! What happened?!!  :o

I've used it with no problems and Yellow Hammerite IS mimosa yellow 

Doug

Probably poor preparation on the metal below - I used it on the Herald suspension back in the day, but the rust came through and it just literally fell off again. I believed the blurb about 'simply brush on over existing rust'...so the front suspension wishbones etc were only wire brushed before painting and the rust came straight back again. I also find it very brittle in that if struck it chips, then water gets in behind it. The GT6 suspension was shotblasted and sprayed, and has lasted very well, but the Hammerited Herald is due a total refurbishment and this is only after sitting in a garage for years - it never saw the open road. 

I must admit to using Mimosa on wheels, but I've noticed recently that it appears to have shrunk, and adopted a crazed finish.

I first used Hammerite back in the 1970's on a rocker cover. Disaster, loads of reaction due to poor preparation on my part.

Since then I have always taken the surface back to bare metal and de-greased it. I used a red primer.  Result, no problems and a lasting finish.

The problem is the rocker cover is a very oil object to start with and has to be thoroughly de-greased inside and out before applying the paint.

Dave 

My issues with Hammerite have mostly been that it chips easily and flakes off. In some cases it was bad surface preparation but even when I thought I'd done it right the stuff still flakes. Also, the aerosols are useless.

I believe they re-formulated it a few years back so I don't know what the current stuff is like.

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

You have yellow wheels?!!  :o  'respec dude, even I haven't gone that far!

Can I interest you in these that I bought recently  in a rash moment?

dustcaps.PNG.1c5c830e66890b446c497d74d04acf44.PNG

db

Magnolia. MAGNOLIA!! slaps head in exasperation.

By the way, do those stay on? I prefer the roll-on ones myself...

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2020 at 13:52, dougbgt6 said:

You have yellow wheels?!!  :o  'respec dude, even I haven't gone that far!

Can I interest you in these that I bought recently  in a rash moment?

dustcaps.PNG.1c5c830e66890b446c497d74d04acf44.PNG

Went on a hoarding raid to Waitrose and parked next to a black BMW that had these on it's wheels! Easy to locate the valves when topping up I guess. Might get some for the modern.

greencaps.PNG.14de6a81afe853e859c4a32f2aca8df0.PNG

db