GT6 restoration

I know Mathew, I do a small job like that once in a while and think Ill get a tap set and never do lol

Just the rear part of floor +4 rust sandwich to cut out and repair, hot today had enough 😎 getting there slowly

20200808_141655.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been cutting out the bodgery today at the rear heel board, eurgh what a mess  triple rust sandwich and heavily coated in the black goo, Ive been putting it off lol but its gone now, just lots of repair panels to make but first one welded in today, happy day 

19 hours ago, Brooky said:

Inner sill and strengthener all welded up with the spot welder, all painted inside after trial fit, few bits mig welded where the arms couldnt get in, great afternoon 😎👍🏻

20200909_163542.jpg

Would love to have a spot welder, never justify it but I know I would use it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

looks like slightly more spots than the factory used on the original ;)

Yes , the more the merrier. Unless your after concourse finish . I have to mig spots and I tend to seam weld bits as well, I like to make it very solid. Brooky's doing a brilliant job. Looking forward to the next part.

• Thanks 1

Cheers I like to make a solid job, the outer sills I plug weld as it is 3x thickness on the top section and as powerful as the spot welder is I think it struggles, it should do it on maximum settings but I dont like to abuse it, and was quite expensive. Brilliant though for doing the inner and strengthener sills 

58 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Yes , the more the merrier. Unless your after concourse finish . I have to mig spots and I tend to seam weld bits as well, I like to make it very solid. Brooky's doing a brilliant job. Looking forward to the next part.

Trial fitting outer sill Friday see where Im at 👍🏻

Outer sill fully spot welded on, did a few plug welds to make sure, had spot welder on full power 2mm thickness just below full length time, done a great job. This sill fits really good, just had to put a small piece in one of the joints as had to open slightly but gaps are great, just got to tinker with door to bonnet happy day 😎😎😎👍🏻

20200912_164401.jpg

20200912_164355.jpg

20200912_164342.jpg

• Like 5

Cheers chaps, took a good day or two to prepare the fit and adjust etc, then fully prep inside and paint then weld it on. Should outlast me anyway lol, the closer at front and the rear lower section and that will be the full structural work done.

The rear window lip and bulkead bits and battery tray to do, keep going with head down 👍🏻😎

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Managed to buy a good ex hot climate tailgate, fits same as other original, tight on one side and large gap nearside, just needs holes in hinges elongating to move it slightly.

Phew this lockdown is getting to me and taken slight enthusiasm away  not good, hope you're all keeping well. Ill get back on it in the next few days hopefully, work pattern is erratic atm 

IMG-20201111-WA0007.jpeg

Hi Brooky, looking really good, keep up the good work :)   Just out of interest I don't know how original you want to keep it, but there is a restomod on you tube where they have removed the seams from the top of the rear wings and the rear panels, its not finished yet but looks really good.  Here is a link, if your interested. 

• Thanks 1

Looks brilliant, theres some top chassis work there. Mines going to be standard looking on the outside, not decided on the interior yet but have an idea 😁

I am thinking about a Type 9 gearbox as its the cars downfall the standard box, lots of problems and people just say oh its its weak area the gearbox, so thinking once its rebuilt and Im enjoying it, I dont want to have to take the gearbox out again etc 😎

Thanks for the link Ill have another look over the weekend cheers

5 minutes ago, Brooky said:

Looks brilliant, theres some top chassis work there. Mines going to be standard looking on the outside, not decided on the interior yet but have an idea 😁

I am thinking about a Type 9 gearbox as its the cars downfall the standard box, lots of problems and people just say oh its its weak area the gearbox, so thinking once its rebuilt and Im enjoying it, I dont want to have to take the gearbox out again etc 😎

Thanks for the link Ill have another look over the weekend cheers

IF, (big if) you do decide to go down the T9 route, be careful of where you buy it from. 

I would buy from either BGH or FirstMotion. You will need a long input shaft, and the reality is that the std ratios are not great, Std GT6 has a 2.65 first, T9 is 3.65 which is a MASSIVE difference. There is a 2.98 option on the T9, which is very worthwhile.

And beware the big supplier of T9 conversions. Quality is not always what it should be, and I heard of boxes sold as "close ratio" at a premium were not. 

For all the grief, unless you drive the car hard, a quality rebuild with a big tip mainshaft and overdrive would be my choice.  (I have a ford engine, T9 and Subaru diff, so not afraid of mods. My HD gearbox, built from an XR4x4 box, is jumping out of 3rd at sustained high RPM and baulking into 2nd. It is going to BGH for attention....)

• Thanks 1