No Oil Pressure Vitesse mk2

Paul H

Changed the oil in my vitesse . Engine fired ok , no oil pressure . Light on and no reading on oil pressure gauge . Stopped engine after about 10 secs and looking what to do to be safe . Pressure gauge is on a T with the oily pressure switch . Normally get reading after say 5 secs with pressure reading at 70 going down to 45 to 50 when hot and cruising at 50mph ish . On  tickover when hot about 20 to 25 . 

Any advice welcomed 

Paul

Why not disconnect the LT lead to the coil and crank over till the Oil light goes out and you get a reading on your gauge?

Like Colin says, it can take several seconds for the Oil filter to fill up and pressure to build up (Presumably you have changed the Filter too?).

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

Why not disconnect the LT lead to the coil and crank over till the Oil light goes out and you get a reading on your gauge?

Like Colin says, it can take several seconds for the Oil filter to fill up and pressure to build up (Presumably you have changed the Filter too?).

Tried removing LT lead and turned over for 30 secs plus and still the same, no oil pressure on guage and oil light still on . Would the non return filter have anything to do with it as this is the only change I’ve made  ?

Paul 

Most filters have a bypass valve as well that opens at a set pressure to avoid starvation in the event of a blockage...

However as Pete says there doesn't seem to be any other explanation! Before changing the filter you could try a final spin without spark plugs to get some speed up...

Its a Mann 714/2 and I still have the old filter though forgot this sequence of events 

on changing the oil the copper washer went awol on the Canleys sump plug so added the old tapered plug took her for a 5 mile run no issues . I then found the washer , dropped the oil and refitted the Canleys plug and refilled . Then today no oil pressure 

Paul 

27 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

sounds  like an air lock  remove dizzy and prime with a drill etc or give it a bit of throttle ( without killing the engine )

i would give it a blip an see what happens 

Pete

What’s the procedure re priming with dizzy . I can remove dizzy ok what drill connection do I need and clock or anti clock for a vitesse 

Paul 

41 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Its a Mann 714/2

Hello Paul,

That is very interesting.

I had exactly the same situation when I changed the oil on my Mk2 last month using the 714/2 filter for the first time.

The filter was filled with oil to assist pressure build up, as I always do, but it took some time for the oil light + pressure to react - I was getting a tad concerned !!

Never experienced this before and my previous filters were FRAM - not the most popular, but have to say they seem to build the oil pressure up within about 5 seconds which they have done on numerous oil changes.

Needless to say, I am not sure I will be returning to 714/2 again which is a pity as it's a decent filter - bit not if it causes oil pressure concern.

Regards.

Richard.

7 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paul,

That is very interesting.

I had exactly the same situation when I changed the oil on my Mk2 last month using the 714/2 filter for the first time.

The filter was filled with oil to assist pressure build up, as I always do, but it took some time for the oil light + pressure to react - I was getting a tad concerned !!

Never experienced this before and my previous filters were FRAM - not the most popular, but have to say they seem to build the oil pressure up within about 5 seconds which they have done on numerous oil changes.

Needless to say, I am not sure I will be returning to 714/2 again which is a pity as it's a decent filter - bit not if it causes oil pressure concern.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard is it worth removing the filter to see if it’s got oil in , bearing in mind it’s been running already 

Paul 

3 minutes ago, Paul H said:

is it worth removing the filter to see if it’s got oil in , bearing in mind it’s been running already 

You have nothing to lose, apart from some oil, may as well check.

Regards.

Richard.

This quite often happen after an oil change. I agree with Pete the cause being an air lock. Start the engine run for around 10 secs, then turn off and wait a couple of secs. Now start again. Normally the oil pressures will then rise.

If in doubt remove the dizzy, and drive cog and pour some oil into the top of the pump drive. The turn the oil pump drive several times. After that reassemble and start engine.

Dave

if priming from a dizzy drive its the same as the dizzy...........  anticlockwise 

never had to do that ever , and to turn the oil pump you have to remove the skew gear or you wont turn anything then have to keep the timing as was

seems a lot of hassle for .....what 

the   engine is well oiled from previous running why is everyone so scared of turning or light running over a well oiled engine,    you not reving the nuts off it but a fast idle is fine ,if you wreck it ive changed my contact number  Ha !

Pete

I think the issue here is that the Mann 714/2 oil filter has caused this with 2x separate cars in exactly the same set of circumsatnces; when previously fitted oil filters (of a different make ) did not.

It is too coincidental.

Regards.

Richard.

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if priming from a dizzy drive its the same as the dizzy...........  anticlockwise 

never had to do that ever , and to turn the oil pump you have to remove the skew gear or you wont turn anything then have to keep the timing as was

seems a lot of hassle for .....what 

Pete

Agreed, normally the the first method works. i.e Run for 10 secs, then turn off. Leave for 2 secs then re-start.

Whereas priming the oil pump is useful on a re-built engine.

Dave

I wish we had a fly on the wall to see what the engine bench did  and if anyone had any magic for first fire up on either test bed or end of line 

i know we're 50 years on but my guess is on the test bed after engine build it was force feed hot oil direct to the gallery but end of line would be churn it over  chaps till something caught.

there is a good chance as common practice was to use one engine to drive a slave , some may have never been actually run before fitting just run back to back ...many did this to save fuel etc.

Pete

7 minutes ago, classiclife said:

I think the issue here is that the Mann 714/2 oil filter has caused this with 2x separate cars in exactly the same set of circumsatnces; when previously fitted oil filters (of a different make ) did not.

It is too coincidental.

Regards.

Richard.

It may well be the make of filter causing the problem in this case. However, after some 55 years of both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines this was/is a common problem. This was with both Stanpart and Unipart filters.

Dave

12 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Whereas priming the oil pump is useful on a re-built engine.

Dave

I used to read about 'packing the oil pump with vaseline' but never knew if it meant the interior mechanism, or just the intake nozzle... so first one I ever did, I packed the intake tube with Vaseline then filled the pump with oil from the dizzy pedestal, as Dave says. It must have worked as it's still running today.

Very useful stuff Vaseline🤭

I used the Clubs oil filter on my spin on conversion. Filled it with oil cranked over with plugs out. Plugs in started and oil light went out almost immediately. Take the new filter off and see if there's any oil in it. But as people have said probably the type of filter. 

Good luck

Iain 

just do what Triumph intended and it works , dump the myths and legends 

we dont do premium mileages , most std filters will probably be fine for 2 oil changes   whats to worry  they have lasted 50  years `with or without any rattle 

we need a new topic.      if you want some hassle    try this  !!!!    wouldthat work   ha !

Pete

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

most std filters will probably be fine for 2 oil changes   whats to worry  they have lasted 50  years `with or without any rattle 

And tens of thousands of Triumphs have ended up in the scrap yard well before their time, due to poor maintenance.

Regards.

Richard.

Removing the dizzy to prime the oil is too much of a pain in the ass for my liking. Plugs out and low tension disconnected on the coil and turn it on the starter until the pressure light goes out has always worked for me. Never had a problem with the double anti-drain filters on the spitfire 1500, but I always pour some oil in the filter and make a right mess when I fit the filter.

• Like 1

I'm trying to work out the fault, if it lies with the filter... so bear with me for some written-down thinking out loud...

The oil goes into the filter around the outer edge, through the element and back into the engine through the threaded bit? So the anti-drain filter just moves in / up to allow oil in, but in one direction only, so it can't run back out.

The fact that there's no oil pressure at all makes me blame the pump; if the filter was blocking the flow, would the oil pressure not be excessive and the gauge go right off the scale before the bypass kicked in? 

Another thing to try - as YS says above - fill the filter with fresh oil, then fit it. Messy, but it's full from the word go.

timing_chain_oil_filter_drain_back_valve.jpg