Tailgate weatherstrip

HUB

Hi All, '72 GT6 Mk3 tailgate, tried a couple of weatherstrips of the 'Bay but they're far too thick so tailgate won't shut properly, and need cut-outs at the hinges. What are others using...Is it a simple U-seal or is there a thin "bubble" type?

Had a recommendation to try Chic Doig but not answering emails (maybe Covid-closed)

Current LInks and/or pics gratefully accepted, Cheers.

good place for seals is C O Baines they make just about anything thats available https://coh-baines.co.uk/

have a browse for a extrusion that suits and they will supply small orders and very cost effective 

most seals on offer from triumph suppliers are far to fat and just a look alike not size a like   . and the gate sits proud , hopeless 

i would guess a small bubble or single flip type seal would work 

Pete

• Like 1

I used a new seal from Rimmer Bros on my GT6 a couple of years ago. It was very tight to start off, the tailgate needing a firm slam for the latch to engage. After 3-6 months, it settled in and is fine. It does seal well too, the boot carpet is staying dry.

Nigel

12 hours ago, HUB said:

Had a recommendation to try Chic Doig but not answering emails (maybe Covid-closed)

Phone him directly, the office phone is usually answered but e-mails are often neglected. I have a bubble seal on mine, as nigel says it seats more easily after it has bedded in for a time, but there are other slimmer profiles that may be better.

I bought the supposedly correct one which is an “I” section. It made the hatch stick out like a mushroom and it wouldn’t close, the latch would have to be moved to make it work.  
An awful lot of GT6s have this protruding hatch issue because they have the “correct“ seal.

In the end I got a “L” section from Woolies and it fits perfectly, a flush hatch.

Doug

PS I’ve seen pictures of Colin’s and it sticks out!

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

PS I’ve seen pictures of Colin’s and it sticks out!

Not so much these days, as it's got older it's more ... pliable. 😮

Lase 'L' section I got - for my Herald doors - was from Bill Davies; do you have a link to the Woolie's?

27 minutes ago, HUB said:

Door Seal

Hi, Doug/Colin, Is this the seal you are meaning??

That's the kind I use for Herald doors, and is perfect for them - is that a Woolie's offering? I need some for the estate doors.

The bubble type stuff comes in different sizes and many are too big for our cars; that lip-type seal is perfect for keeping water and draughts out and can be used to align doors and boots where a bigger seal would only show up alignment problems.

• Like 1

I tried a whole bunch from COH Baines after finding the "correct" one impossible

This is the one I'm using 

https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/dx-72-composite-self-grip-type-draught-excluder/

I also tried DX-76, DX-77 & DX-85, but the 72 was the only one that allowed a decent tailgate fit.  The only drawback with the 72 is that it tends to flip itself over along the top.  It's the friction on the paint does it so if you put some silicone (cockpit shine, back to black or similar) on that section it works fine.

Nick

On 01/07/2020 at 21:09, HUB said:

Hi All, '72 GT6 Mk3 tailgate, tried a couple of weatherstrips of the 'Bay but they're far too thick so tailgate won't shut properly, and need cut-outs at the hinges. What are others using...Is it a simple U-seal or is there a thin "bubble" type?

Current LInks and/or pics gratefully accepted, Cheers.

I’ve used this one from Woolies. Reasonable force to close tailgate. 

5160ABB8-1A06-4AF6-AE70-72FC01539232.png

22 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I tried a whole bunch from COH Baines after finding the "correct" one impossible

This is the one I'm using 

https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/dx-72-composite-self-grip-type-draught-excluder/

I also tried DX-76, DX-77 & DX-85, but the 72 was the only one that allowed a decent tailgate fit.  The only drawback with the 72 is that it tends to flip itself over along the top.  It's the friction on the paint does it so if you put some silicone (cockpit shine, back to black or similar) on that section it works fine.

Nick

Think I'll try this one...Not at the car just now, What length do I need?? (I know, Rookie error!!)  4 or 5 metre

On 03/07/2020 at 19:50, HUB said:

Think I'll try this one...Not at the car just now, What length do I need?? (I know, Rookie error!!)  4 or 5 metre

Hi. Please see the pic of the seal that I have used. It’s slightly bigger than the Woolies one in my first picture. I’m still trying to find out where I got it from. 

E2DAE042-0829-4D20-9DA2-A1357AD52896.jpeg

FCF124CF-3B34-4708-9374-58A4A57DF844.jpeg

17 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

Hi. Please see the pic of the seal that I have used. It’s slightly bigger than the Woolies one in my first picture. I’m still trying to find out where I got it from. 

E2DAE042-0829-4D20-9DA2-A1357AD52896.jpeg

FCF124CF-3B34-4708-9374-58A4A57DF844.jpeg

Looks slightly smaller than the one I have so should be a better fit, have ordered something from Baines site so fingers crossed!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2020 at 23:26, Adrian Saunders said:

I’ve used this one from Woolies. Reasonable force to close tailgate. 

5160ABB8-1A06-4AF6-AE70-72FC01539232.png

Adrian - Does it leak?  I see the standard is 16mm bubble where as the smaller (like yours) is 8mm.

I've spent days shimming and drilling my GT6 hatch to try and make it fit correctly down the driver's side and finally managed to get a reasonable alignment ... and then changed the cracked old seal for a new Rimmers one only to discover that its shutting days are now over. I've put the old seal back on again as it's clearly a smaller profile than the Rimmer's one.

For the moment I've decided to leave it alone and move onto something else but I will certainly investigate the alternatives mentioned above in due course.

Richard

49 minutes ago, RichardS said:

I've spent days shimming and drilling my GT6 hatch to try and make it fit correctly down the driver's side and finally managed to get a reasonable alignment ... and then changed the cracked old seal for a new Rimmers one only to discover that its shutting days are now over. I've put the old seal back on again as it's clearly a smaller profile than the Rimmer's one.

For the moment I've decided to leave it alone and move onto something else but I will certainly investigate the alternatives mentioned above in due course.

Richard

see above....COHBaines DX72 has no closing issues

I tried a weather strip from ANG based in Nottingham. The tailgate fits well at the top and sides. So very promising, can't fit it properly as PO did a rubbish repair on rear deck across the length. However very confident it will work, previous strip left the whole tailgate high all round.

Graham

its fact pretty much all suppliers  for all models  sell something that does nor resemble the originals most flips seals are supplied as a giant balloon , 

and retention (eg 2000/2500) is turned from simple to a door off ..utter tosh

its nuts  correct sections are readily available , not just order in something black and fuzzy or so big you never shut anything again without slamming seven bells out of the doors

pete  

roll on Co Baines  they make it all in any shape you can find from a vast stock of profiles ,

On 24/07/2020 at 00:51, rulloyd said:

Adrian - Does it leak?  I see the standard is 16mm bubble where as the smaller (like yours) is 8mm.

I've just fitted this Woolies stuff and it's better than what was on there already and far better than the Rimmer's stuff which wouldn't allow the boot to shut.

The panel gaps are still not as good as I would like but it's an improvement on when I bought it.

Richard