Highest capacity + best warranty battery for the GT6?

avivalasvegas

Depends if it's a daily driver Euan? I only replace the battery if it packs up, but i do look after them. I have 3 Triumphs and to date not replaced a battery. I would see what deals are are on fleabay and go for a descent warranty. my 2500s only has a 38ah battery on (015) and it was on the car when i bought it 6years ago.

Tony. 

I fitted an Exide 027TE (their code EA640) to my GT6 6 years ago (almost to the day - just looked at the receipt). It's 64Ah and they are around £50 (inc. VAT) + delivery.

The small red wire in the photo is from my trickle charger connector, but I've not used it since I changed the battery...

Gully

Battery.jpg

all acid batteries need to cycle charge /discharge to keep them good , going too large wont help with the lack of use most classics get

and oversizes will probably fail earlier than a matched capacity battery     bit of a balancing act  really  going over the top is unhealthy

Pete

• Like 2

On 08/02/2021 at 15:13, euan douglas said:

Is there any real advantage to getting a 52Ah battery as opposed to the standard 44Ah for my GT6?  Also I have a Banner battery at the moment and am thinking of another one  -  anyone got any thoughts on this make?

Thanks

Euan

I think theres a couple of advantages to a bigger unit: if you have a problem starting your car it'll churn for longer and also it should take longer to discharge if the car is left for extended periods or with some sort of current drain such as lights on or an alarm system.

The downside, apart from cost and weight, could be that if you do short runs a larger battery wont get fully charged and then leaving it partially charged is a good way to reduce its lifespan.

The advantages could be useful on a classic car especially as deep discharging of batteries isnt good for them, but you really need to take into account your particular circumstances and usage...

Thanks all.  Probably like the rest of us the car had seen little use last summer and is now tucked up for the, increasingly cold, winter.  I do start it up every week or so but find, especially in this cold, that the battery just does not hold a charge, so I have to charge it each time I want to fire up the car.  I disconnect the battery leads when finished.

The battery is 6 years old at the very least so I think, all in all, I'll get a new one.  Sounds like a 44Ah will be perfectly OK.

Euan

When you are looking to choose your next battery, it is also worth comparing the CCA - Cold Crank Performance - as there can be a noticeable difference between the products.

I can't offer any advise about a good battery for the GT6 as I have a humble 13/60. But for winter I just put the battery on charges a couple of times to make sure and if/when possible take the car for a short run, well the intention is a short run but once out there .... This works for me. Battery life seems to vary enormously according to the various posts on different threads. The one I have is really quite old, could be as much as 10 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Sadly many of us are not guaranteed another 5 year so no point in buying a battery that does! :lol:

Doug 

Awww come on, don't be selfish, think of whoever buys it once you've departed.

My biggest worry in life is departing this life and my wife selling my instruments and car parts for the price I told her I'd paid.... :)

• Haha 1