Redline MT-90 Synthetic GL4 Gear Oil

avivalasvegas

The original oil Triumph recommended for gearbox/differential is Castrol EP90, you can still buy this. But oil technology has moved on in 50+ years.

So, I'm with Roger on this. The differential oil in particular is often neglected and a pain if it hasn't been modified with a drain plug.

A typical differential is ~95% efficient, which means the other 5% is going to heat, there's not so much air flow where it is, tucked up over the exhaust between the chassis legs... They do get quite hot.

But I believe most of the Triumph differentials have copper washers under the sun and planet gears so it's also necessary to make sure whatever oil you use is yellow metal safe.

In a world where people easily spend a grand of their favorite currency on a device that they will likely throw out in 3 year's time I find 26-30 of my favorite currency to keep a part worth several hundred of my favorite currency alive a bargain!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, clive said:

I think Moss make that, I bought some ages ago but not yet used it. So try Moss? But oils may be difficult to send over the water.

I found some online, the seller states he'll supply UK but NOT Ireland, so I just need to find out if he knows his geography / politics before I order some... :)

24 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I found some online, the seller states he'll supply UK but NOT Ireland, so I just need to find out if he knows his geography / politics before I order some... :)

Maybe the problems with posting to NI are the reason your lady PM is quitting 😉

My sister-in-law (German) works regularly in Switzerland.

She has been asked multiple times to be a "mule" and bring things over the border.

DHL also has these "Packstations" that are essentially PO boxes out in the open (usually next to supermarkets) and the ones on the German side of the Swiss border are full all the time.

To be able to use one you have to have a German address so she has also been asked to be a "mule" of sorts for that as well...

I hope to re-visit the UK in  year or so when this is all over. I regularly attended the "Slot Fest" in Gaydon in the past (I wish the was a ladder or something so I could get a proper look at the "last" Spitfire). It is of course out of pure curiosity that I measured my suitcases to see what parts of a Spitfire would fit in them.... Oh and the space where the spare tire should be is the same shape and depth as a diff.... what a coincidence!

3 hours ago, JumpingFrog said:

The original oil Triumph recommended for gearbox/differential is Castrol EP90, you can still buy this. But oil technology has moved on in 50+ years.

So, I'm with Roger on this. The differential oil in particular is often neglected and a pain if it hasn't been modified with a drain plug.

A typical differential is ~95% efficient, which means the other 5% is going to heat, there's not so much air flow where it is, tucked up over the exhaust between the chassis legs... They do get quite hot.

But I believe most of the Triumph differentials have copper washers under the sun and planet gears so it's also necessary to make sure whatever oil you use is yellow metal safe.

Roger’s shock proof oil does not specify it is yellow metal safe. The MT90 oil in the first post on this thread does. Both are made by Redline. I’m guessing that means I go with MT90 in the tranny and diff?

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Colin - Just fence off your property, put one of those barrier thingies that go up and down on the gate and just declare independence. You can be your own Prime Minister and charge all your decorating bills to the tax man.... but, that would be you to.

1 hour ago, avivalasvegas said:

Roger’s shock proof oil does not specify it is yellow metal safe. The MT90 oil in the first post on this thread does. Both are made by Redline. I’m guessing that means I go with MT90 in the tranny and diff?

I don't know about using MT-90 in a diff. Red line's website specifically says not to use it in diffs... But also MT-90 is GL-4 which is an EP rating, so I don't really see a technical reason why not.

MT-LV, MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears

Might be worth asking Red Line, from a quick google it sounds like all Red Line products are yellow metal safe. I admit this is a bit of a minefield...

Been using the Redline shockproof in my Vitesse for about 15 years. It’s blood red..... and stays that colour even after hooning up and down the autobahns, unlike the stuff I used before which would go black and lumpy after one trip....

It is expensive but not as expensive as a diff....

Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One of the benefits of "our" cars. Is the fact that there ARE options. ie; O/E or go for uprated product. For some (most) new vehicles the emission controls dictate that any options are unavailable. So the VERY expensive lubricant is mandated by the dictates of the specification. For my Diesel, I am literally forced to use Full Synthetic. to avoid damage to the DPF.

Pete

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Been using the Redline shockproof in my Vitesse for about 15 years. It’s blood red..... and stays that colour even after hooning up and down the autobahns, unlike the stuff I used before which would go black and lumpy after one trip....

Nick

Hello All

As I said I have been using it for about 7 years and stays clean and not seen any bits in it and as I said I only swopped diffs because of slack in output shafts and when I stripped it to change the output shafts and gears the bearings and play was the same as when I rebuilt it the first time 

Now it is in the Vitesse ready to to do more service and raise the cruising speeds!

I would not use anything else now but if you only drive to shows at 30mph do not bother it would be a waste of money but if you use your car as Nick said much cheaper than a diff rebuild!

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Nick

Thanks for sharing. Do you know the correct viscosity for the Red Line Shockproof for the differential?

Just heard back from Redline US. 

"In your rear differential the MT-90 would be recommended, though the LightWeight ShockProof would be an option, a different fluid than called for."

when I asked if LightWeight ShockProof was yellow metal safe, I got this back. 

"the ShockProof gear oils contain a copper deactivator so are safe with brass, bronze or copper though contain a friction modifier so could be too slippery for synchros and one reason they aren’t recommended for most street applications."

I suppose it's 2 liters of MT90 in the overdrive transmission and 1 liter of lightweight shockproof in the diff. On the plus side, free postage :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

I suppose it's 2 liters of MT90 in the overdrive transmission and 1 liter of lightweight shockproof in the diff. On the plus side, free postage

Opie Oils?  Used to offer discount for motorclub members (any motorclub), not sure if they still do.  Maybe worth ringing to ask?

Nick

6 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

"the ShockProof gear oils contain a copper deactivator so are safe with brass, bronze or copper though contain a friction modifier so could be too slippery for synchros and one reason they aren’t recommended for most street applications.

Hello All

So that means they are safe for us but maybe a bit more expensive ! 

But lots spend a lot more on Bling and only drive a few hundred miles a year!

I know were my money goes!

Roger

• Like 1

On 29/04/2021 at 18:18, Nick Jones said:

Nick

Nick,

The bottle says "for offroad use". I don't suppose this made you wonder if it was suited for daily road use on the Autobahn?

It’s American, a lot of their stuff says “for off-road use” on it, which is the manufacturer covering ass for something legislative or other. Not sure what in this case. More usual in engine oils where additives may affect cat life.

As previously mentioned I’ve been using it for decades.

Nick

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2021 at 18:18, Nick Jones said:

Nick

That`s interesting as i bought a 3:63 diff from a Spitfire race car a few years ago,guy called Steve Adams,that has red oil in it,always wondered what it was..

Steve