Wintertime top is here :) now need storage hoist

Jeffds1360

:) Colin. yes, a bit. My front slots are east/west I think, but are not as far apart as my chrome clamps so the J bolts go in at about 25 degrees which does not suit the bottom of the J. I need to lift it and have a proper look. I do not want to move the clamps as they are perfect for the soft top. 

Hi Steve. Yes.....the last one got bid up to over 420 in the last few minutes!!!

I'm still fighting my hub removal btw.

Even bought a breaker bar. Whoops. Wrong post :)

I started reading this post with jealousy as I have only seen a Vitesse with a hardtop once and that was when I was 15 some 41 years ago.
Not very common here in NZ.
Then I saw the prices and thought the softtop is fine here in NZ and anyway the Mk2 CV is still in need of replacement everything so hardtop is way down the list.

When Rhyna had a Mk1 MX5 I bought a 150kg electric winch and using seatbelt webbing loops it allowed her to fit and remove the hardtop by herself. Which she never did so I always did it for her.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302994958122?_trkparms=aid%3D1110010%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.DISCCARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818141627%26meid%3D56f774f34db6422783f0e1bd79e6ab1f%26pid%3D101110%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D174775504142%26itm%3D302994958122%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3DDiscOrganicBase&_trksid=p2563228.c101110.m1982

3 hours ago, ahebron said:

150kg electric winch and using seatbelt webbing loops it allowed her to fit and remove the hardtop by herself.

Which when my son`s where into Dinghy Sailing. Is how we winter stored their "Mirror", on straps under the Garage rafters. Only with a manual 4 Fall Hoist. With it right up tight, just enough room for the High Top Shogun!.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Which when my son`s where into Dinghy Sailing. Is how we winter stored their "Mirror", on straps under the Garage rafters. Only with a manual 4 Fall Hoist. With it right up tight, just enough room for the High Top Shogun!.

Pete

I tried using bike/kayak winches but they never got high enough for me to work under so I use two ratchet straps per kayak and bike know live on their wheels

• Jeffds1360 changed the title to Wintertime top is here :) now need storage hoist

Cheers Steve, I see that. Mine is set behind the 'ridge' and is a real struggle to get set in place.

If it is relocated to the front, that would be so much easier. You could 'hook' it over and lower the back down.

I will need to investigate further and see if it can be relocated. It seems the previous owner hardly used it which is why it is in excellent condition but it is odd if the seal is 'miss-mounted', unless there was an option?

:)

Understood Roger. It is a totally different experience with it on.

After 3 daysI have taken it off and hung it up!

Maybe when winter comes it will go back on. I do like to have Plum available for continuous use and I do not know, as yet, if my hood is very weather proof. I do dislike getting her bottom wet but sometimes it is necessary :) thanks for everything. 

2 minutes ago, Steve P said:

If it is,it`s rare or possibly unique.If rain is coming in your not going fast enough as i said on another thread.

Steve

Not necessarily; if you're going fast enough it comes in the front and just as quickly leaves at the rear.

2 hours ago, Steve P said:

if my hood is very weather proof.

they have never made a weather proof hood yet of the era  they are not of the highest design in folding brollies of the day 

there are too many areas that touch without fitting and fit without touching add in the tightly stitched gutter over the drop glass

which in most rain showers it totally useless  so the water runs down the inside of the glass out the bottom of the door wrong side of the shower curtain

and door cards  and into the foot wells 

well the suns out  

and we all out for a meal tonight with a glass or two 

then things look BETTER   Ha !!

Pete

:) yus.  Found a hole in the bracket directly above clamp point so the 'J's fit properly too. Plus I got the bike/canoe hoist, so I can sling it up and off easily now. (If I park right under it) ...mind, it needs a counter balance weight (two bottles of water  4lbs each) hung on the front Js, when hooked at the back of window area. 

Ready for winter :)

16 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Ready for winter :)

Hang on, we haven't had spring yet, let alone summer!🌞

Maybe it has arrived - at long last sunny weather after weeks of rain the forecast for the next couple of weeks at least is sun, sun, sun . . .

3 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Yes Chris, we even have some sunshine uup narth here now!

Top is off and a spin out beckons.

13/60 (cv) forever. !!!!!!

Yes lovely here today BUT this morning was important shopping and needed big boot so modern taken not 13/60.

Just got in after spending the afternoon in the town hall as I am president of the electoral roll committee and elections are looming. Could have taken the Triumph I suppose but the town hall is all of 50 metres from the house 😆