Decibel Meter

Paul H

Interesting post on FB of a guy with his mk1 GT6 testing the level of cabin noise . Pretty sure this is the app he used . Registered 100db while iphone was on passenger seat 

Looking forward to see what my Vitesse Saloon registers . Appreciate this will be guide and comparative use only and the following link has no in app purchased but note you are downloading at your risk . Currrently in the garden and blackbird is hitting 12 db !!

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/decibel-meter-sound-meter/id1373636871
Paul

I have a "real" sound meter, and inside my race Vitesse, which is stripped of all potentially sound deadening trim, I get 98dB.   It's so loud in there that I wear ear defenders while driving it on the road, without a helmet.   Otherwise .... sorry, what did you say?   That level of noise is equivalent to standing next to a chain saw, and it WILL damage your hearing after just a few hours exposure!  That's why tree surgeons wear defenders!

The legal limit at the roadside is 74dB.    The limit on the race track is 93db at 2 metres

100dB inside a road-going, fully trimmed car?   I don't think so.  Or I hope not, for their ears sake!

John

theres a lot more to sound measuring than poke a meter at it 

you dont want relections  road noise ,at what power  we had to drive in a certain gear at a fixed torque on an air field with no buildings etc and apply full power 

drive in both directions , add the wind and weather all come into the test. then the best of 4 runss

Pete

My dad was the boss of Lada in NZ last century.
Some owners of the Niva complained of excess noise when driving the car.
He took one to the DSIR (Government Science people) and they put a decibel meter through the car and found the most noise was the general area of a drivers head 

Nobody talks to me these days..not really surprised though!! Probably why I spend so much time on here, or in the garage. Mind you, not sure people talk to me here these days, that's why I just talk to myself...why that does sound a little familiar.

4 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

And no arguments

Sadly untrue, I've just given myself a severe talking too, for not finishing the jobs in the garden. I'd rather sit about drinking beer then get on with it. It's just not good enough! :angry:

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Sadly untrue, I've just given myself a severe talking too, for not finishing the jobs in the garden. I'd rather sit about drinking beer then get on with it. It's just not good enough! :angry:

Doug

Done the tomatoes, done the shopping, exercised the mini wolf, watered the veg, cut the grass...now, on with the work on the car, oh dear, is that the time, open the wine, car will wait until tomorrow..................  tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrowtomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow ........(echoes receed onto the sunset)

It's the wonderful mix of technical help, frivolity and camaraderie that puts this forum ahead of the rest. I have said this before, it reminds me of the days of John Arlott, Henry Blofeld etc doing the Test Match Cricket commentary. Really serious stuff but interspersed with info, trivia, humour, friendship and cakes. Now that's a thought???