Power steering

One of East Berks has it on his Spitfire, it works very well. His car has a 2.5 straight 6 so heavy like a GT6, I don't know if that's why he fitted it? 

I believe it's electric and taken from a Japanese hatchback. 

I find the GT6 steering quite heavy when parking, but not heavy enough to contemplate power steering. However if you're after fatter tyres it might become necessary.

Doug

if you like diy quite major work to get it all in place  electric columns  on ebay are very cheap from many different makes 

a column is around £100  approx 

then its how to fit and align it all and you need to replace    or replecate the speed sensor gismo 

that most have built in 

having fitted a mechanical hydraulic P stg to the 2000 it means a far more spritly drive and if i go to fast i can park on my drive not Oops!  thats next door  missed it 

Pete

My GT6 has 175/70 tyres and a miniaturised steering wheel. It's certainly heavy at parking speeds but, like Doug, I don't find it bad enough to need expensive mods. Also, if the electric one operates on the column then it's putting a lot of stress on the bottom coupling and pinion, which the hydraulic system on the saloons doesn't.

I had electric power steering fitted to my Dolomite 1850 by https://easysteer.co.uk  My only regret is not having it done sooner, it made the car a pleasure to drive and park. It is adjustable as well so you choose how heavy or light you want it. I have rotator cuff ligament problems and it was either sell the car or bite the bullet. The bullet won :) 

Tony.  

• Like 1

Pete, I've fitted EPS to my Spit 2.5PI. Having the Spit "quick" steering rack, the extra two cylinders makes the steering really heavy for a weed like me. I fitted the Corsa-C EPS - see this thread for more. I would say that if you find your steering heavy then it's worth considering. I think you may possibly add a hint of "vagueness" to the feel but it will deffo. make the steering lighter. Different people will have different opinions but it's down to you as to whether it's worth £900. Please note that, sadly, Picton Sportscars who did the heavy engineering on my EPS had to close their doors for the last time about 18 months ago.

Cheers, Richard

Edited by rlubikey
Get the link to other thread right.

17 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes even on the 2000 retro fit the TRod  ends are up a size on the manual and a coresponding steering arm  uprate to match

the effort has to be absorbed and uprated other parts to cope with the increased strain 

Pete

I was thinking about this last night Pete,, surely the effort needed to turn the steering will be the same either by a strong person, wimp (me) or power assisted?? I can't really see what the difference would be. You are right about the tre's being different Though just can't think whether it was just an upgrade for the bigger rack?

Tony.  

16 hours ago, poppyman said:

I have rotator cuff ligament problems and it was either sell the car or bite the bullet. The bullet won :) 

Friend with shoulder problems fitted PS to his MGC, another Dolly Parton car (heavy up front), and he swears by it. Its manually adjustable for speed sensitivity and I think from a Corsa and only cost £250.

Iain 

16 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I was thinking about this last night Pete,,

well the lightening of the input from 3 shreaded wheat to only one must impart more loads downstream as you can physically whip the car around with more venum so loads at the suspension and steering must go up 

Pete

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

well the lightening of the input from 3 shreaded wheat to only one must impart more loads downstream

I think Tony is correct unless the PS enables you to drive faster. For a given speed and change of direction PS just makes the input easier, at the mechanical end the forces are the same. 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

well the lightening of the input from 3 shreaded wheat to only one must impart more loads downstream as you can physically whip the car around with more venum so loads at the suspension and steering must go up 

Pete

Anyone would think i was a hooligan :) Getting to old and knackered for that Pete :( 

Tony.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, rlubikey said:

the extra two cylinders makes the steering really heavy for a weed like me.

I can confirm that Richard is the East Berks member, more wiry than weedy, he's like a coiled spring! Must be all that bike riding.

Doug

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

I think Tony is correct unless the PS enables you to drive faster.

It's not a question of driving faster. That loads up the suspension parts, not the steering.

If you don't have PAS, you can't turn the wheels when stationary, so you learn to rock the car a bit to allow the steering to move. If you do have PAS, you habitually swing from lock to lock when static, in between reversing and going forward, during parking manoeuvres. It's this action that puts lots of stress on steering components. ALL production cars, not just the Triumph saloons, had beefier steering bits on the PAS version, before that became the only one available.