Original Lucas bullet connectors

daverclasper

Hi. Not a question about the virtues (or not) of these.

May have to disconnect and reconnect a few.

I understand they are pushed in tightly and correspondingly take a bit of getting out?

Do I need a special tool, or alternative/adapted tool etc.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

If they are properly soldered or properly crimped then a firm pull will generally release them. There is a special 'bullet closing' tool (e.g ALT/SSC1-09) for putting them back together but 99% of the time finger pressure or blunt screwdriver will do just fine.

If they break on removal then usually they were on their last legs anyway; like LUCARs, the copper corrodes, hardens and fractures at the base. Easily replaced: soldering is fine but can be a faff. Or better, use the special bullet crimp tool (e.g. ALT/SSCT1-02) dear for what it is but does produce a reliable result even in confined spaces where soldering may not be easy.

also worth a pick Aldi crimp and terminal set £7.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-crimping-tool-set/p/804741480099400

Contents
  • 1 x Crimping tool
  • 15 x 100mm Cable ties (approx.)
  • 15 x 130mm Wire (approx.)
  • 60 x Cable plugs
  • 30 x Flat plugs
  • 30 x Flat plugs sleeves
  • 20 x Butt connector
  • 10 x Splashproof butt connector
  • 50 x Assorted conductor end sleeves

HI, 

Not sure if this helps but a company in the UK called vehicle wiring products sell solder bullets and connectors as original.

I repaired my loom using them, the only issue is the cable at the bullet end can be either oxidised or has heat damage such that it will not be able to accept the solder

I cut these back to decent cable and replaced the damaged part with the  same colour cable by soldering the cables together and then sleeving them with adhesive heatshrink sleeving.

Steve

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

How do you stop the rubber outer sleeve internal sprung tube from pushing forward in the rubber outer so the sprung tube isn't at one end of the rubber sleeve? 

Do you push both bullets in together to keep the inner sprung tube centralized.

I use a pair of bullet connector pliers, they push from both ends simultaneously and when one end meets resistance they just push the other. That way the central metal joiner shouldn't move in the sleeve.

On 02/10/2021 at 12:33, Pete Lewis said:

also worth a pick Aldi crimp and terminal set £7.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-crimping-tool-set/p/804741480099400

Contents
  • 1 x Crimping tool
  • 15 x 100mm Cable ties (approx.)
  • 15 x 130mm Wire (approx.)
  • 60 x Cable plugs
  • 30 x Flat plugs
  • 30 x Flat plugs sleeves
  • 20 x Butt connector
  • 10 x Splashproof butt connector
  • 50 x Assorted conductor end sleeves

I have one of these and it is excellent. As an ex-RAF Electronics Technician I have soldered and crimped many connectors over the years and can vouch for these ALDI tools.

you need hands like a vice to sometimes  squeeze the ratchet pliers too

and bullets and crimps are available in variety of size case thickness  some are tough as old nick some so weedy they crush too easily 

they are a utopia   or compromise job

i have both , access plays a part in which to choose   in difficult places i go for the easy crimps  out in the open its the brick sh1t house ones 

Pete

The bullet connectors slide into the centre metal bit which is a sprung tube shape to hold them in place; just a curl of metal. The rubber outer insulates to prevent shorts. The metal can move inside the rubber so that an end sticks out and short circuits, so needs to be kept central. Pushing one bullet in may move the metal inner out the other end so equal pressure at both ends at once keeps it in place.

• Like 1