Windscreen washer problem

Iain T

I've fixed the blocked washer nozzles and plugged the hoses in to check but still no water coming out. I can hear and feel air coming out the nozzles so I'm thinking it could be the pick up pipe in the washer bottle? Not sure how it works but there seems to be a washer in the pick up that I assume acts as a one way seal for suck or seal which then the water would find the route of least resistance and come out the nozzles? 

Any suggestions please. 

Iain 

IMG_20211107_145537.jpg

The pump is simply a rubber bellows that is squeezed in and then puffs out again. It has two outlets and both will pump out when squeezed, so on one you need a one-way valve that allows water to go in, but then when the bellows is squeezed again can only be pumped out by the outlet that leads to the washers. You can check the valve by sucking or blowing; you can suck ok but won't be able to blow as powerfully. It takes a while for the water to move along the pipes if the system has been emptied so try repeatedly. Once the water starts it will stay put ready for the next use, and shouldn't run back again. If the valve is working, make sure it's not tight to the bottom of the washer bottle as it will simply stick to it through suction and stop any water getting in. Leave a gap of half an inch or so. 

• Thanks 1

you really need a one way valve both sides of the pump otherwise it simply sucks the water from the washers side when released, rather than pulling from the bottle. I believe one was incorporated in the output of the pump but probably failed by now.

I'm going to see if I can prime the system and see where I go from there. The system used to work so I hope it just needs a kick start🤞or we'll be having 'words'! 

I wonder how many bulbs and electrical connections I've pulled out when refitting the washer system. 

Iain 

5 minutes ago, PeteH said:

If you need non return valves, Aquarium air kit suppliers are a cheap source. Bag of 4 for a fiver?, or less.

Cheers Pete, I'll try the finger over the hole method first. As I said it used to work so I'll get the bloomin' thing primed somehow. I was just not sure as to the operation but Colin's confirmed what I thought. 

The washer fluid tastes lovely, 2010 vintage with a long finish🤢

Iain 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

you really need a one way valve both sides of the pump otherwise it simply sucks the water from the washers side when released, rather than pulling from the bottle. I believe one was incorporated in the output of the pump but probably failed by now.

There already is one on the washer side, a small ball bearing set into the jet itself. Water pressure pushes it upwards, but then it drops so water can't be sucked back again.

45 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There already is one on the washer side, a small ball bearing set into the jet itself. Water pressure pushes it upwards, but then it drops so water can't be sucked back again.

Ta Colin information is power! 

Iain I gave up with the Vitesse original switch incorporated Bellows Pump, as like yours it used to be inconsistent and removed rubber bag/bellows and fitted a momentary switch at the rear of the original pump which activates an electric pump, always works now maybe needs a few secs of contact after non use and my thumb thanks me!

Interestingly when the car arrived here in 74 it was thoroughly disinfected, outside including engine bay underside of bonnet steam cleaned, inside disinfectant  bombed even the rad water was changed, there had been foot and mouth in UK around the time of shipping and the car was used extensively in the NE rural areas, as I worked for the local water board, the one thing they missed here was the screen washer bottle, still have the emptied contents in a bottle in the garage marked TVCWB, scared to open it now!

Thanks everyone, once I've been released from housework duty I'll have another go this afternoon. I would like to take the unit out but the knob doesn't want to come off. I can see a hole in the knob but no pin and no corresponding hole the other side. So I'm thinking it's just jambed on so I'll see if I can get a small pair of pliers on the shaft and lever it off. If not work with it as is. 

Iain 

6 minutes ago, Iain T said:

no pin and no corresponding hole the other side

Check there is not a small "grub" screw down the bottom of the hole?. Bit of a fish with a small screwdriver and/or Allen key might prove one way or the other?.

Pete

7 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I'll take another look but with a torch I couldn't see anything in there just what looked like the steel shaft. 

It might be one of those with a spring loaded ball holding the knob on?. A sharp pull often dislodges them?.

Pete

There's no pin in the sense of a door-handle-type pin; it's a spring loaded clip. It doesn't push right through just back out of the way so you need to push and pull at the same time. Press a suitable point into the hole, enough to press the pin backwards, and the knob will pull off. 

28 minutes ago, Pimp my Vit said:

This might help and give you some idea of a solution!!

Thanks that's my fall back solution however the bellows does seem to work as there is a puff out of an outlet when pushed. This is making me think it could be the pick up diaphragm in the washer bottle. I'm taking it all to the kitchen (wife will love that) as there's not much I can do here in the car park! 

IMG_20211108_145437.jpg

IMG_20211108_145258.jpg

The problem was gloop in the pick up. I flushed it out and everything works fine. A good strong squirt 

I've posted the magic ball bearing that fits in the brass tube. Don't loose it or nuffink works as it can't seal when the bellows suck! Colin did mention it but here it is in full technicolor. Don't ya just love it when you fathom out how things work and fix them! 

Iain 

IMG_20211108_161508.jpg