Painted seats but they stick to my clothes. How can i stop this?

Quack

I painted my Herald's seats with this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402494704639?var=672692373721

I figured it would be fine since its for vinyl/leather. But when it gets a bit warm in the car, my clothes stick to the seat and parts of it come off and ruin the seat!

How do i stop this? seal it? Can i use my wax spray or is there a better option? Thought i'd ask as i dont want to ruin it any further.

I sprayed my Herald seats with Vinalkote years ago. Brilliant finish. No probs since. It was a two part process and I recall they supplied a degreaser you had to use first. It's essential that the surface is completely clean and free of grease for it to adhere properly.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I sprayed my Herald seats with Vinalkote years ago. Brilliant finish. No probs since. It was a two part process and I recall they supplied a degreaser you had to use first. It's essential that the surface is completely clean and free of grease for it to adhere properly.

Yes, I used Vinylkote when I built my vitesse. I couldn't find a black rear seat, so painted teh yan one I did have. That lasted brilliantly, no problems at all despite the kids best efforts. Wosrt thing that happned was it got a scrtach, touched up easily enough.

I suspect the paint stuff is just not very good,.... it appears very cheap. 

Just now, Quack said:

HMM seems like i should get some Vinylkote and redo the spray then. Did you use individual cans or a big can with a spray gun?

I would suggest you need to remove the paint stuff on there. That may need some experimenting. Try white spirit first, then universal thinners, if not, careful use of cellulose thinners may do it. But celly will also get into the vinyl so go easy.

I bought a litre and used a spraygun, but aerosols will be easier and should work well, but is rather more expensive.

4 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

But, you'll have to be brave!:)

Doug

You would, in my house. If you get caught... 😮

On the other hand, we have a number of those garage-forecourt industrial-sized washing machines that have sprung up in the area; you can put almost anything through those. 

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

On the other hand, we have a number of those garage-forecourt industrial-sized washing machines that have sprung up in the area; you can put almost anything through those. 

Sounds handy, not noticed those, though I think I've got tunnel vision recently, around modern man made stuff (opposite when I get out into nature)

Handy if you have a free hour and a good paper / cup of coffee. Put the money in the slot, close and lock the door and they'll churn away for 45 minutes or so. They can't be opened until they stop so no-one can steal your clothes out of them. We put a lot of horse blankets and rugs through them, but one recently was filled with sand by local ne'er-do-wells so it pays to inspect them before putting anything in them...

38 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Handy if you have a free hour and a good paper / cup of coffee. Put the money in the slot, close and lock the door and they'll churn away for 45 minutes or so. They can't be opened until they stop so no-one can steal your clothes out of them. We put a lot of horse blankets and rugs through them, but one recently was filled with sand by local ne'er-do-wells so it pays to inspect them before putting anything in them...

Good for Two or Three Dog beds?. I`ll have to check that one out, their getting a bit manky. I was considering swapping them out for new.

Pete

I'm thinking rather than going through the hassle/cost of stripping all the paint off and repainting, im just going to give them a good clean then apply a sh*t ton of auto wax to cover the seat. Hopefully this will stop the paint from coming through and sticking to my clothes.

The wax might also come off on your clothes. You need to seal the paint... I wonder if the same company that sells the vinyl paint also sells a clear sealer?

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Good for Two or Three Dog beds?. I`ll have to check that one out, their getting a bit manky. I was considering swapping them out for new.

Pete

Definitely; there's a huge £8 drum or a smaller £4 one where mine are.

Is Vinylcote still available? I thought it became banned along with all other aerosols that depleted the ozone layer. It was good stuff and worked very well.

Oh, and do beware. Our friends broke their industrial washing machine by shoving a horse rug into it. It was way beyond repair.

13 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I get a very worrying vision of Colin doing a Nick Kamen at his launderette...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56M5OZS1A8

.but I don't think that a horse blanket will really have the same effect?