Period Photos of Triumphs

Mike Costigan

21 hours ago, NonMember said:

I'm old enough to remember that being a common thing.

There are still some "out there" who despite warning notices, take camper vans on the beaches.☹️ I have seen recently one up to mid height in water, posted on F-B, (I think).

Pete

23 hours ago, Mike Costigan said:

It's easy to forget just how popular the BMC 1100 range was - the best-selling car in the UK for eight years between 1963 and 1971. Over two million built, compared to perhaps half a million Heralds, nowadays the Herald probably outnumbers them two-to-one!

I learnt to drive in one. I always remember the instructor pointing out how the front would rise in first gear as you lifted your foot off the clutch before releasing the handbrake.  Other way round for reverse!      1965/6.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Standard-Triumph photo recently put on sale on eBay (hence the steel rule obscuring some of the detail) intrigued me

'Rare Standard Triumph, Triumph Herald Factory stamped Photo with Forklift.'

1. Would it really be possible to pick up a Herald convertible, as illustrated, with a forklift without damaging it?

2. Is it my imagination or does the truck 'chassis' the car is being lifted onto have 'cradles' to take the Herald wheels?

Chris

1200-1.jpg

1200-2.jpg

I think you'd need a special cradle under the chassis. The forks clearly aren't in direct contact with the middle of the chassis as to do so would have crushed the sill, and the photo shows a gap there. The truck does appear to have a dedicated cradle for a Herald, as you say. I wonder whether this was a special "show" car with its transporter.

Depending on where the forklift contacts the chassis it shouldn’t be wildly different from how a two post lift (for example) would function. So I’d think in theory it could be done safely. 

Export cars of the time were lifted onto ships too right? I’d imagine similar placement of supports under those?

There may be adaptors on those forklift rails to lift the chassis; if they're simply straight across they'll crush the sills long before they reach the main rails.

This happened to my own Herald; I thought the crushed front edges of the sills were due to kerbing, then realised there was similar at the other end - the arms of a lift being used without the feet being extended upwards to reach the rails and so clear the sills had crushed them in on both sides.

Thanks for the comments:-

Having looked at a blow-up in more detail I think I can see on top of the fork to the front of the car a block of wood or similar (smaller red rectangle) which would protect the side valances.

The white soft top is covered with a 'polythene bag' perhaps to give additional protection (larger red rectangle) to a show car.

The 1200 badge on the boot (under the 'herald' badge) does not look correct to me - too 'boxy' - but is really too low a resolution to be sure.

1200-CV.jpg

Here's a slightly different one - not wanting to hi-jack THIS thread which deserves to be kept on the straight and narrow as it were, but I found two photos recently when sorting through Triumph versions; never mind the Herald blurring past in the lower corner but what's the rather strange small car in the queue, 3rd from right?

0_JS175798712.thumb.jpg.7f7c6b995ec6f4931cff3d820886b39d.jpg

0_JS175798695.thumb.jpg.7beaa85c56e479caaf18bd8c7941f9af.jpg

14 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Here's a slightly different one - not wanting to hi-jack THIS thread which deserves to be kept on the straight and narrow as it were, but I found two photos recently when sorting through Triumph versions; never mind the Herald blurring past in the lower corner but what's the rather strange small car in the queue, 3rd from right?

0_JS175798712.thumb.jpg.7f7c6b995ec6f4931cff3d820886b39d.jpg

0_JS175798695.thumb.jpg.7beaa85c56e479caaf18bd8c7941f9af.jpg

Looks like an Ashley fixed head coupe.   https://www.fordspecials.co.uk/ashley.html

• Thanks 1

On 23/09/2022 at 09:13, mark powell said:

Late 60's ? early 70's?  Framlingham, Suffolk.    Traffic a bit heavy...Not!   I think the reg is XBJ864G, not on DVLA. 

Vitesse XBJ864G.jpg

Ipswich reg number, not not travelled far from home.

Shared showroom space with my MK1 Pi I reckon.

22 hours ago, 9345490 said:

Are the Herald and truck being prepared for export together to save space? The truck looks new and appears to be a 2 ton Leyland 90, which would have been assembled at Canley. 

I agree, When loaded the Herald would be below the top of the Truck, which would be Ok for Tween Deck Stowage, "we" carried a lot of vehicles in that fashion to Port`s in the Persian Gulf, back in the 60`s and 70`s. Often the space on the Truck body would have A KDC kit instead of an assembled car. So long as the combined weight was below the SWL of the ships "gear" they could be landed overside onto barges for transport ashore, many if not most Gulf Ports did not have deep draft Warf`s. Dubai, in the 60`s was just a Creek, and we anchored off to discharge. A "Run Ashore" involved a "bum" boat, usually some elderly wooden craft with a Gardner or similar panting lethargecally away!. Happy days!!.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In response to my recent article on models of the Triumph 5cwt Courier a colleague sent me some photographs of a 1/43rd scale Courier Van he had made as well as some links to pictures of the real Van, which is now registered in The Netherlands, that he had based his model on.

Max Derrez was able to provide some interesting information on the Van which has the Commission (‘Chassis’) Number GA55440V and Body Number 989GVA. The Litchfield Green Van was originally registered in the U.K. in 1962 with a DWC 626 licence plate (Figure 1). It was exported to The Netherlands where, in September of 2006, it was registered as AM-21-00; the AM prefix is used for ‘classic’/’old timer’ cars. It has been ‘customised’ as a Standard-Triumph support vehicle (Figures 2a – 2c); additional photographs can be found at https://www.paul-wouters.nl/michelotti.htm and https://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/lieferwagen+triumph/interesting/ . This Triumph Courier Van (AM-21-00) featured in a Giovanni Michelotti display at the DAF Museum in Eindhoven to celebrate, in 2021, the 100th anniversary of Michelotti’s birth.

Although the Courier Van seemed to be a support vehicle for the 1961 Tulip Rally, where a Triumph Herald 948cc twin-carb Coupe recorded the Herald’s only win in an International Rally, this did not add up as the Triumph Courier Van was not launched until 1962 – I can only assume that the Courier Van is a nice tribute to the Herald’s success in the 1961 Rally.

I did wonder, after seeing the ‘tribute’ Van, if a Courier Van  had ever been used as a support vehicle in any Rallies in the 1960s.

1. Triumph Courier Van GA55440V with UK Registration plates (M.Derrez).jpg

2a. Triumph Courier Van GA55440V with Dutch Registration plates (DAF Museum, Eindhoven).jpg

2b. Triumph Courier Van GA55440V side view (Flickriver.com).jpg

2c. Triumph Courier Van GA55440V (M.Derrez).jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

316830476_10209377157941788_2023232742975921872_n.thumb.jpg.f20f6168470e94f54e9edf4498f9cf2b.jpg

I found this one online recently, but the original poster doesn't know the story. It can't be a car park.... possibly some sort of distribution centre? They're all registered, one appears to have L plates and the Austin van has been signwritten, so all must be used or in use. At least three convertibles, two 12/50 and one saloon, with one unknown on the extreme left. 

6 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I found this one online recently, but the original poster doesn't know the story. It can't be a car park.... possibly some sort of distribution centre?

I saw it as well a few days ago, intrigued by it. Maybe a storage area for cars taken in part exchange for new ones? Auction house? Recovered stolen vehicles?*

I had thought it was your back yard with all you future restoration projects but as you don't recognise it I guess not