Period Photos of Triumphs

Mike Costigan

15 hours ago, PeteH said:

I will add. Any Male who needs to go more that once or twice a night, and who had not had his Prostate checked, would be advised to make effort to have it done ASAP.

Pete

Except when you snore like a Triumph bike with straight pipes get up to pee, drink a large glass of water because your throat is dry and sore, get up to pee drink a large glass of water because your throat is dry and sore, get up........................

• Haha 1

Sat in the conservatory last night. Throat dry, glass of...yes..water.  Reading this thinking should I drink it, should I leave it? Sorted for me a little later, voice from the kitchen "You didn't drink your water, I've just thrown it away". Slept well!!

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

Throat dry, glass of...yes..water.

At all temperatures I drink wine & whisk(e)y. When temperatures get above 20°C I drink beer, above 25°C Pastis with water & ice, above 30°C (like now), water. 

I hate temperatures above 30°C 😁

6 hours ago, Chris A said:

At all temperatures I drink wine & whisk(e)y. When temperatures get above 20°C I drink beer, above 25°C Pastis with water & ice, above 30°C (like now), water. 

I hate temperatures above 30°C 😁

With all that booze in you, you'll be like an alcohol thermometer: 6ft 4" in hot weather, 4ft 2" when it freezes...:eek:  :rofl:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Patrick Taylor said:

With all that booze in you, you'll be like an alcohol thermometer: 6ft 4" in hot weather, 4ft 2" when it freezes...:eek:  :rofl:

In that case the temperature at the moment must be 'relatively hot.

• 2 weeks later...

One that is quite relevant today, but not a very cheerful sight. In 1972 on this date the IRA exploded 19 bombs in Belfast and three elsewhere, in order to 'make an economic desert of Belfast'. Killed and injured quite a number of people, but this photo was featured today on the news:

294231227_184667977264387_1955999924568753826_n.jpg.ec5b83dae3c9db3c5551c893cedc5091.jpg

Herald saloon with towbar. Possibly another one further along the street between the trees but can't as yet find a higher resolution photo.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2022 at 09:30, Pete Lewis said:

...Oh and Mike more pics please to get back on track 

Pete

Apologies for my absence over the last few weeks. I've been pretty heavily involved in the Austin Seven Centenary Rally. Anyway that's now all behind me, and so I can return to this thread, although I am beginning to run out of piccies (I've still got lots, but many of them are almost-duplicates, or are of rather poor quality, which may get a bit boring).

So, let's see what I can manage today; here are three similar shots all taken at Pardon corner at Prescott during the 1959 RAC Rally, and show Tiny Lewis in TL5, Peter Bolton in YRW 266, and Keith Ballisat in YRW 267:

1959 RAC Rally 04.jpg

1959 RAC Rally 12.jpg

1959 RAC Rally 13.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, johny said:

were leather straps sometimes installed to restrict the amount an axle could drop down or am I imagining it?

I`ve seen reference online to some 70`s Alfa`s having them?. Their main purpose, supposedly, to avoid the coil springs becoming dislodged at full extension.

Pete

The Works cars were run under Ken Richardson's control; he was well-known for insisting his cars were completely standard, so I doubt they were fitted with additional straps. Static shots show the back-end set very low, so presumably the rear spring was set to give minimal ground clearance thus reducing the amount of camber in these circumstances. Had it been 'Tiny' Lewis' car I would be less convinced - he was equally well-known for his individual approach to preparation!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another non-Rally shot but a lovely period photo of a local beach back in the mid-1960s. At least two Heralds including an estate (just above dead centre) but loads of Morris / Austin 1100s and many other makes as well. It's a real nostalgia trip. These days no cars are allowed on the beach at all.

302088248_1195074501052251_3969810268169367979_n.thumb.jpg.b09783005887c6f5c6e3421f43875838.jpg

• Like 3