Rally car choice

Bob Horner

Ok, looking for thoughts.  I have a mk3 spit, a TR4 and a Gt6.  I have done a bit of regularity rallying in the TR4 and it’s a great and tough car to use.  However, feeling that i want to tart up the TR4 and thus thinking of another car to rally in.  I considered the spitfire and I think it would be fun and good in tight tests but perhaps not as comfortable,or easy on the regularities? I don’t really want to trash the Gt6.  So looking at another triumph if the spitfire is discounted.  Perhaps a mk2 vitesse saloon ( rotoflex robust enough)? Quite fancy a 1300 fwd (would it be fast enough  - a tc with a tuned engine?).  Otherwise a tr7  - Fhc or drop top -  fit a sprint engine ?  Dolomite sprint - a bit pricy these days? Or perhaps a big saloon?   I’d welcome anyone who has practical experience  - or indeed anyone who has a view! 

Bob

I found a 948cc Herald was quite capable of being competitive on regularities... providing the navigator didn't make any serious errors! there's no doubt a bit of extra oomph was then needed...

2018-06-20-0003.1000 (2).jpg

If you are doing rallies with plenty of driving tests I would think a well-sorted 1300cc Spitfire would be a good choice, but it may be a bit cramped for the navigator. I found the heavy steering of a Dolomite too tiring on longer events, and suspect the TR7 suffers the same problem. Personally I would choose the TR4, but I suppose that will probably put you in the most competitive class.

Big Saloons are probably the most common Triumphs and the strongest.
Competed well in the long distance rallies.
Factory Power steer is an option (electric is in any car these days) 
Engines are strong and tuneable, rear end can be changed out to something a bit better (if rules allow)
There is always an old saloon lying around in every town.

And the best bit is the straight 6 sounds superb.

😁 There is a similar trial to that, which involves doing it with a Tractor Unit and 38ft Trailer!. ( and a lot of crushed cones!.) Then do it in reverse for the examiner!.  (Only joking that bit. there is only the one cone on the LGV test that you cannot crush (Fail))

Pete

3 hours ago, Steve P said:

Well spotted, Steve! I knew that car looked familiar, never clicked that it was a Vitesse until Mike pointed that out, but was curious to know if that was a photo of the person who placed the ad and if so, who he was, being almost a neighbour by about 30 miles or so. I'll presume he hasn't used a shot of his own car, then.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

but was curious to know if that was a photo of the person who placed the ad and if so, who he was, being almost a neighbour by about 30 miles or so. I'll presume he hasn't used a shot of his own car, then.

He's placed a "wanted" ad, looking for a Herald. The photo is one he's found and gave him inspiration. He doesn't have "his own car" to take a shot of.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

He's placed a "wanted" ad, looking for a Herald. The photo is one he's found and gave him inspiration. He doesn't have "his own car" to take a shot of.

That's more than I knew - I only suspected - but then I was wondering if anyone knew the actual car; it's entirely possible he could have been in THAT car on a rally in years gone by and used an old photo. He might even have his own car, just not one to rally prepare for an event or run. What a wonderful world of possibilities.

On 19/02/2022 at 22:12, Mike Costigan said:

... or you could spend a lot of money and have a real beast, but all the work is already done for you - the ex-George Nibblett 2000 has just come on the market:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1426295

That is a really nice car.

not sure I could ever face filling it up.

I wince at filling the Discovery and it's 20 gallon tank.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

With my Skoda I just put in 40€ at a time and tell myself that the saving in weight helps performance and reduces fuel consumption, therefore I'm being green. Try it with the Discovery, you'll feel a lot better for a few minutes. 😁 Until the euphoria wears off.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

That is a really nice car.

not sure I could ever face filling it up.

Not so bad in the USA, "Gasolene" is currently circa "$2 (£1-50) a (US) GALLON. The down side would be the potential 3grand cost of repatriating it along with the hassle that comes with self importing, (as I know having imported an R-V back in 1997).

Pete

4 hours ago, Mike Costigan said:

There should be no problems repatriating the 2000, it's still 'live' on the DVLA records.

Yes that would make a difference. In my case it was imported as a "personal effect", which did however avoid Tax issues. But still had to be prepared and registered on arrival, the shipping cost was made on length (32ft). Good chance the Triumph would even go in a container and  shipped from the East Coast would make the cost more bearable (New York to London about £1500 ).

Pete