Vitesse Mk2 Front N/S quarter Aluminium bumper trim.

Phil C

24 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No. Heralds had white rubber bumpers with aluminium ends but Vitesses had full aluminium extrusions.

Is that correct?. I have a FULL aluminium set here which where removed from my 13/60?. No record in the quite extensive paperwork file of them being changed.

Pete

10 hours ago, PeteH said:

Is that correct?. I have a FULL aluminium set here which where removed from my 13/60?. No record in the quite extensive paperwork file of them being changed.

Pete

My 13/60 has them as well, the car came to me with them. Over the years it would probably have been easier/cheaper for a Herald owner to fit the aluminium ones from a scrapped Vitesse rather than fit new rubber ones. It would also have given the car a boost in its image 😃

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PeteH said:

Is that correct?

Yes. The aluminium Vitesse bumpers were/are a very popular retrofit on Heralds but were never factory fitted (or even a dealer option, AFAIK) Of course, some very base model Heralds didn't even get the rubber ones - just a body colour bulge in the panel.

there were sets of over bumpers for heralds a smooth finished not extruded like the vitesse  it was after market  think there is a set

in club museum 

a few years ago  club did try to get vitesse remanufactured but whilst the extrusion was good they could not get the corners rounded without splitting so the  scheme stalled 

Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

whilst the extrusion was good they could not get the corners rounded without splitting

So, 50 years after they were a standard fitment to a Vitesse modern manufacturers couldn't make them. There's progress for you, as in deceleration is a negative acceleration 😉

3 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

I think some Aus CKD models were given chrome over bumpers in place of the rubber ones they looked good!

Cosmic bumpers were an option, I always wanted a set! A local car was sold with a full set as spare a few years back but despite my pleading the new owner kept them.

I have a thick paper trail with no mention of when the 2.5L engine was fitted to my Vitesse, or where the gearbox and differntial came from. Everything 1967 to 1998 is there, So is a mention of replacement doors in 2002. Black holes between and ever since. Not many people are totally rigorous over 40 odd years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phil C said:

I believe they were only fitted to the Vitesse although I guess some were retro fitted to Heralds.

The bit I need is like this but for the N/S

AE55D832-DCB2-409B-9EAD-6112D56192F5.thumb.jpeg.0a37db2415c2e64762d7ca9a6c4eca97.jpeg

Don't chuck that. There will be an Ally welder somwhere who can repair it. Then it can be polished and re-anodised. OK at great expense.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Anyone ever tried clear varnish? Might be good for a couple of years, if it works...

Yes Colin, I have on other metals. An alloy rivet would fill the hole on the one pictured. Worth a try and only pence. Just have to remember never to polish it.

18 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I asked my nephew the other day (mid-20s) if he ever planned a holiday or a weekend city break in Europe.

"Nah" he replied " I've seen them online already."

The next time he raises the question of going to a pub/restaurant/take away you can reply the same . . .

Just now, Chris A said:

The next time he raises the question of going to a pub/restaurant/take away you can reply the same . . .

You joking??? He lives in McDonalds drive -thru, or else Dominos deliver. Doesn't go to the pub, spends his evenings in his room - despite the fact that he's just bought his own house - and talks to his housemate by text message.

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You joking??? He lives in McDonalds drive -thru, or else Dominos deliver. Doesn't go to the pub, spends his evenings in his room - despite the fact that he's just bought his own house - and talks to his housemate by text message.

Youth! It's wasted on the young, oldies like us would make more of it . . 🤔