Having trouble removing sump plug.

Mike

5 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

What!. Don't know what the watermark actually means?, though I guess some rights to the photo?.

What site, if your allowed to mention?

Lol in the interest of personal safety and more importantly sanity ( :) ) I'll not pick on any particular site, I was actually quite chuffed to see the photo there, but it's a bit sneaky taking a photo taken by me and uploaded to an online group by me, and putting a warning across it that it's copyright thereby stopping anyone else using it. I'd be happy if anyone gets it.

35 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

putting a warning across it that it's copyright

That's actually a breach of copyright law. They are explicitly making a claim of ownership that they do not have a right to. This is especially true if, as with this forum, the photo attachments default to copyleft. It's just a shame that IP law is absolutely no protection to anyone, because at the end of the day it all comes down to who has more expensive lawyers.

I'm not worried in the slightest, it's just that if I tried to download and use any of their other photos the watermark would a) spoil it and b) make it obvious where the photo had come from, but to take photos off the web and then effectively mark them as your property is a bit of a cheek. I download and use photos all the time, both here on the forum and for Courier articles, but I'll give credit if it's due otherwise I'll state that it's from the Net. Knowing my luck I'll use one of my own photos someday and someone will claim: you stole that from Wee Jimmy's Classic Car Show site and he's hopping mad... :)

I’ve ordered this Makita pass through wrench and socket set just. I was drawn to it as it is shiny. The jaws reverse to make it a pipe wrench too. The sockets fit a multitude of head types too. There’s quite a good video on the inter web.The bugger won’t beat me.

Some good news today, my long awaited New Defender will arrive in June. 

779E7A2F-635A-4297-BF38-6DCDB8A6E306.png

15 hours ago, Mike said:

I’ve ordered this Makita pass through wrench and socket set just. I was drawn to it as it is shiny. The jaws reverse to make it a pipe wrench too. The sockets fit a multitude of head types too. There’s quite a good video on the inter web.The bugger won’t beat me.

I could have done with that earlier in the year whilst trying to change the front struts on a Fiat Punto... so might keep an eye out for one.

In the meantime remember a quote from one of my favourite novels: "It's a machine. A machine assembled by men. What can be assembled can be disassembled." You'll get there, then it's on to the next job.

ive got some 36" stilsons if that helps  

this has to budge soon  i begin to wonder if the sump might give up before the plug unscrews 

you can get the sump off a 6cyl vitesse but it takes a bit of faffiing around to get the rack dropped, raise the lump,  and the oil pump to clear the splash gauze , got a tee shirt somewhere 

Pete

On 17/05/2022 at 18:41, Mike said:

It won’t win.

it can’t  win.

I had a comparable situation this week: Square-head plug with the 7/16th square rounded off to something indeterminate. Although super-tight, the real problem was gaining a purchase.

Cutting a long story short; I  got lucky with a 12mm (bi-hex) ring end of a combination spanner. With a couple of stout hammer blows it was possible to drive the 12mm ring right to the base of what remained of the square head. A steel tube slid over the spanner then provided the degree of leverage required.

Partly luck here: had the plug been any less mullered the 12mm ring wouldn't have gone on at all; had it been any more mullered then it'd been too loose a fit.

Poss worth a try if the only other alternative is having to remove the sump.

On 18/05/2022 at 03:50, Pete Lewis said:

ive got some 36" stilsons if that helps

how about this mini wrench, when cleaning out dad's old secretaries house/garage after she died I came across these beautifully made mini pipe wrench only 6in long opens up to 7/8in max.

By comparison I also have a big 18in long pipe wrench that the jaws opens out to 2.5in, ex TVCWB (Water Board) in the NE of England.

6in Wrench 0.875in opening.JPG

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Another option to try is to jack the car up on the sump plug side, put a good spanner over the plug close to right angles with the ground, put a hefty block of wood under the end of the spanner, and lower the car. That also works for me!

If I was doing that with my luck I'd put the spanner on the wrong side and in lowering the car would be making it even tighter.

Sounds a bit drastic and anyway I believe applying sufficient torque isnt the problem, its transmitting it to the plug thats the difficult bit....

Im still for filing decent flats on it (a bit of hard work I know) and using a large good quality adjustable. Works a treat for me but then Ive never had the plug from hell!

24 minutes ago, Chris A said:

put the spanner on the wrong side and in lowering the car

aha a similar process to undoing the crank nut start the engine and catch the spanner 

its the gorilla in the room thats the trouble not the nuts fault 

why some think it has to be done up like the prop nut on titanic  i dont undstand 

pete

It won. I ran out of time as the car needed to get to Brightwells today. I included all my spares (£100s worth mostly still in suppliers  sealed bags) including two unused sump drain plugs…grrrrr. If anybody on here buys it or knows who does I will also supply them the oil I have. It’s a very sad day after 16 years but Vinney needs to move on to the next chapter. If he doesn’t hit reserve I’ll try the sump plug again.

• 1 month later...

Hi, New here.  I had the same trouble getting a rounded sump plug out of my '63 Vitesse.  I had to get underneath it and came equipped with these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144585321923

Clamped on the protruding threads and turned at the first time of asking.  I replaced the sump plug with a new one, but with a nut welded on it.

Paul

On 17/05/2022 at 18:41, Mike said:

It won’t win.

it can’t  win.

Oh yes they can 😭

I had exactly this issue with a 105E Anglia in about 1972. Nothing would remove the stubborn plug. Eventually, I put so much torque on the Stilsons that the threaded boss welded to the fabricated sump broke. After a visit to a local scrap yard, I replaced the sump. Car 1, me 0 😭

A bit of Fred Drift, my tool kit issued to me as an apprentice in September 71 included a pair of Molegrips. The Training Manager had a real prejudice against them and told us “they are a tool of last resort, there’s almost always something better to use. I don’t want to see you using them”. His comments stuck with me and 52 years later I still have them, unopened in their box.

2 hours ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Oh yes they can 😭

I had exactly this issue with a 105E Anglia in about 1972. Nothing would remove the stubborn plug. Eventually, I put so much torque on the Stilsons that the threaded boss welded to the fabricated sump broke. After a visit to a local scrap yard, I replaced the sump. Car 1, me 0 😭

A bit of Fred Drift, my tool kit issued to me as an apprentice in September 71 included a pair of Molegrips. The Training Manager had a real prejudice against them and told us “they are a tool of last resort, there’s almost always something better to use. I don’t want to see you using them”. His comments stuck with me and 52 years later I still have them, unopened in their box.

In my first car I broke a road spring just avoiding going into the ditch. I was aged 22. I placed my feet on the axle and hands on the bumper, levered the axle into place. Clamped the spring with my new 'Mole Grips' and a stout valve spring compressor (Carried everything back in 1970). Then continued two miles to my mate's place at 15 mph.

Moles make super clamps for welding etc. I have two pairs, one with round jaws, the other straight jaws. The round ones are the most useful but I usually wrap a rag around pipe compression joints when doing plumbing. Never use them on copper or plastic pipes.

I use them as a last resort on seized nuts, or bolts, then replace those with new ones using a spanner that fits.