Oil Filter Removal

Paul H

Hi just changed the oil on my Vitesse . The removal tool is difficult to use as access isnt easy plus there’s a lot of give when twisting off the filter 

A915D156-0742-49F5-BDA3-25D3624DE972.thumb.jpeg.be85033236c160382902bbb333cdd17e.jpeg

I’ve seen some 3 pronged ones with a socket at the front which look more practical . Any suggestions ? 
Paul

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Hi just changed the oil on my Vitesse . The removal tool is difficult to use as access isnt easy plus there’s a lot of give when twisting off the filter 

A915D156-0742-49F5-BDA3-25D3624DE972.thumb.jpeg.be85033236c160382902bbb333cdd17e.jpeg

I’ve seen some 3 pronged ones with a socket at the front which look more practical . Any suggestions ? 
Paul

I use one with a short length of chain that loops round and tightens as you apply pressure which is quite effective.

Or there's always the old fashioned way, bang a large screwdriver through and turn lol

Paul, Google Laser Oil filter removal tool. I have one and it works very well in tight spaces. There are various copies available. Make sure you get the right size with the correct amount of flats to fit your filter make. The square hole in the centre takes a 3/8 socket drive.

Gav

• Thanks 1

I have a similar device. Metal and plastic handle with a metal band which has two positions for large and small filters. Remember from the past that one of my car's had a filter with a diameter which fitted right in the middle of the settings so, yes, screwdriver through the filter time...not as messy as you would expect. Did remember to leave the car overnight before attempting that one.

I used to use the screwdriver and hammer to get it moving and then spin it off,i bought a tool from Halfords the same as Clives,  i think it`s great, even on the Vitesse which has the filter at 45 degrees near the chassis.

Steve

3 hours ago, Paul H said:

Paul

I've got one of this type, bought it when I needed to change the filter the first time after I bought the car. Since then it is me that fits the filter so don't over do it so I can remove it without a tool.