Intermittent Ignition Light

avivalasvegas

Greetings!

On our way home, with the aux fan and headlights on, I noticed our ignition light had come on. After 5 or so minutes, it went off, only to come on again before we made it home. 

Battery is a Bosch S5 purchased 4 months ago. I haven’t overheated so wondering if it was the alternator or something else?

If it is the alternator, I’m guessing a top quality replacement 70A unit is on the cards. Any recommendations?

E474B5DA-1047-4EC9-B8D8-D167F22A69D9.jpeg

33 minutes ago, avivalasvegas said:

On our way home, with the aux fan and headlights on, I noticed our ignition light had come on. After 5 or so minutes, it went off, only to come on again before we made it home. 

Battery is a Bosch S5 purchased 4 months ago. I haven’t overheated so wondering if it was the alternator or something else?

If it is the alternator, I’m guessing a top quality replacement 70A unit is on the cards. Any recommendations?

This might be worth investigating a bit as the symptom sounds very much like poor brush contact, either through wear or being stuck in the holder, and hence the intermittent operation which may well slowly get worse. The brushes are usually pretty easy to get to, especially on an alternator as opposed to a dynamo, and you'll be able to see straight away if theres enough protruding to make good contact....

Dont forget to check the condition of the slip rings although these will usually last years. Ive just done this job on a 1998 Citroen with 200k on the clock and what looks like the original alternator. The slip rings were horribly worn but the owner was happy for me to stick in new brushes and away they went👍 

A quick check, Put a Volt/Multimeter meter across the Alternator output. Less than 14V, would suggest the alternator is the culprit?. What`s your standing Battery Voltage like?. A fully charged (wet) Battery will be circa 12.7V.

Pete

I think I had to shorten the mounting spacer tube to fit the Brise. This was to line up the pulley. I also fitted a new cable from the alternator to the battery positive terminal. 

I'll take a photo and post it this afternoon. I'm on kitchen cleaning and Sainsbury duty this morning. 

Iain 

18 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Greetings!

I think most of the new "lucas style" alternators are variable in quality. The parts to fix them are similarly problematic, a friend had his one repaired with a new recitier for it to fail withing a few months.

The reliable answer is a brand new, proper brand alternator. The Brise ones are excellent, but the baby 40A they supply is just a Denso. And 40A will power a car no problem, having doen the RBRR twice with one. That is 48hrs nonstop, half with lights on, sometimes wipers, heater gently wafting. Never an issue, so 70A is massive unless you have a hefty extra current draw.

New denso 40A are usually around £100 on fleabay, sometimes less. Not difficult to fit.

23 minutes ago, clive said:

I think most of the new "lucas style" alternators are variable in quality. The parts to fix them are similarly problematic, a friend had his one repaired with a new recitier for it to fail withing a few months.

The reliable answer is a brand new, proper brand alternator. The Brise ones are excellent, but the baby 40A they supply is just a Denso. And 40A will power a car no problem, having doen the RBRR twice with one. That is 48hrs nonstop, half with lights on, sometimes wipers, heater gently wafting. Never an issue, so 70A is massive unless you have a hefty extra current draw.

New denso 40A are usually around £100 on fleabay, sometimes less. Not difficult to fit.

https://brise.co.uk/product/denso-60a-compact-motorsport-alternator-5305plus/?v=79cba1185463

I see a 60A for the same price and weight. Looks like it would fit just as easy?

5 minutes ago, avivalasvegas said:

https://brise.co.uk/product/denso-60a-compact-motorsport-alternator-5305plus/?v=79cba1185463

I see a 60A for the same price and weight. Looks like it would fit just as easy?

That will be about £260 delivered. 

You can get the 40A version for £80ish. You do need a plug and a ring terminal, new belt and an hour to fit it.

11 hours ago, johny said:

As I say it sounds very much like the brushes intermittently making contact because theyre too short. However your welcome to spend 200 quid instead of a possible 3 on new brushes:  LUCAS 15 16 17 18 ACR BRUSH SET ALTERNATOR REGULATOR LAX31-322 | eBay

Have to say, I agree with Johny and others. I'd check the brushes and slip ring and / or regulator first. That's all that needed replacing on my 17ACR. Save your dosh for the heating bill!

Gav

Nothing too hard about brushes, if you bypass the procedures of measuring exposed length and spring force and Just Replace the Things. Did two units this morning in 10 mins total. Once end cover is removed then it's simply two self tappers holding a brush. Perhaps only point for error is to make sure any wires are connected back to their original positions.

Brushes doesn't cure everything - but for a fiver or so it can be well worth a punt.

thumbnail_image0.jpg.d209302662b8c6d55eb23c56526de976.jpgthumbnail_image1.jpg.31e49b7c7aed482bad27b0d3d6f2eadb.jpg

• Like 1

We discovered that the Lucas alternator had been rebuilt once already and so Dale and I decided to put it out of its misery and replace with an AES alternator - apparently Dale has used these on multiple vehicles without issue, to date. He did recommend an extra charging wire directly to the battery to save the original wiring harness when 70A charging takes place. The new unit did not clear the bonnet (we found out the hard way) and so an original GT6 bracket and belt were used to lower it closer to the original mounting position. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3adb9aed547c3011fdd9cff746bb7605.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.02e4a0d24f6a7f78735d43abfce5d317.jpeg