Tyre size choice GT6

Hi, question for the group fountain of knowledge. My GT6 is currently running 185/60/13. I presume this isn’t a common size as I’m struggling to find local fitters with a decent range of tyre options. Would the recommendation be to go back a size to 175/70/13? As there appears to be a bit more choice.

IMG_7616.jpeg

I think many of us run 175/70 R13 as they are a more common size, plus the circumference is very close to the original 155/80 tyres, meaning speedo readings are pretty much unaffected. Mine are on 5in rims, so they'll be fine on your 5.5in wheels.

Gully

• 2 months later...

the age thing is all to do with unseen carcass fatigue failure and the fact the tread rubber has NO grip it becomes very hard and shiny

they may look fine but when pushed into the need for GRIP    you will end up in the ditch or worse 

being black and round is just not good enough 

A long while back we had a local vitesse on 20 yr old tyres would spin the wheels at 40mph in top gear    they did get changed   and probably need doing again 

even mine are heading for 7 years so budget is in place for a change soon 

Pete

On 29/09/2023 at 09:41, johny said:

Dont think thats quite right Ian although the age limit may become law at some stage to match what I believe they have in some European countries. Heres what the MOT manual currently says:

I live and learn, you're correct. I must have been told that by a tyre dealer! 

Iain 

• 1 month later...

There is at last a perfect tyre for a GT6. Pirelli have made the 155HR13 Cinturato CA67 again.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/triumph/gt6.html

Lots of people over tyre these cars, yet if you fit a good quality period 155R13 tyre it will handle at its best. Untill now the only good tyres have been the Michelin XAS and the Dunlop SP Sport had been pretty good. However the New Pirelli is perfect for a GT6, and £ 100 less than the Michelin!

Pirelli ad June 1970.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2023 at 17:14, Dougal Cawley said:

There is at last a perfect tyre for a GT6. Pirelli have made the 155HR13 Cinturato CA67 again.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/triumph/gt6.html

Lots of people over tyre these cars, yet if you fit a good quality period 155R13 tyre it will handle at its best. Untill now the only good tyres have been the Michelin XAS and the Dunlop SP Sport had been pretty good. However the New Pirelli is perfect for a GT6, and £ 100 less than the Michelin!

Pirelli ad June 1970.jpg

Thanks for this info, need to check the age of mine !

On 29/09/2023 at 09:41, johny said:

image.png.748d3ce7e05758215b2913d113a46113.png

Checked the tyres on my Z3 yesterday, which is up on the lift having the suspension and brakes replaced as part of the winter layup... if I got the date correct, then they were either made in 50, 08 or 12, 09 (BC???) and the state of one makes me shudder to think I touched 70 on them. Four on order this week. Tread is excellent due to low mileage and no visible damage to any others, but that passed MOT in August.

IMG_7286.jpeg.9ccf397a5ec23a131c46b9c3fd28fec6.jpeg      IMG_7285.jpeg.d44c4c5d15abe880b8672bed85819f78.jpeg