Inter-Club International< Malvern 28-30th June 2024.

JohnD

I posted the above two months ago, when the TRR announced that the International 2024, would be "Inter-Cub", to which all UK classic car clubs are invited, and already many clubs have shown their interest in such a forward-thinking and cooperative event.   It will be at the gorgeous Malvern Show Ground on June 28th to the 30th.    Note that date in your diaries!

I looked forward to seeing a notice, here on the TSSC website or in the Courier, but December went by, my January copy arrived today and there is no mention of an "Inter-Club International" .   Surely all Triumpheroes will want be there, so that TSSC members will be disappointed if they aren't?  I have no idea why the TSSC seems to reluctant to publicise it  - please TSSC, tell all your members!   Or tell us why not.

John

Mea Culpa!   

But those are what the trade call "Paid Advertising Copy"!    I always hope to find in the Courier interesting articles, so I look in the Contents page, and in this case the "Events" page, which although it includes Area events as far ahead as August, makes no mention of Malvern.  The TSSC website "Events" page has miraculously been populated in the last 24 hours, and does mention the Inter-Club International at Malvern, but along with nine other parochial Area events!   And when you click on that entry the details are, inexplicably, projected on a background of the pits at the old Rheims-Gueux circuit in France!

Why isn't the TSSC making more of the biggest Triumph AND other classics show of the year?

John

PS I'm nothing to do with the event organisers, who for historical reasons probably wouldn't want me anyway.

PPS The Three Counties Showground at Malvern, has an excellent camp site attached!    I recommend it for  anyone who likes to camp or camper van!  https://www.threecounties.co.uk/news/three-counties-campsite-opens-26-april-2021/

Edited by JohnD

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been getting the trailer tent ready for the weekend, and have given Katie a quick check over .. the diff's oil level and oiling the steering's lower trunnions being the most awkward, for those of us who don't have a lift.  Towing hitch also fitted and boot rack (to carry the other half of my Surrey top lid). 

P1030674as.jpg.5d1677c60a06849251a844fded398326.jpg

P1030678.thumb.JPG.1dc8f018b6d5056e690564e33dfea1a3.JPG

Loosing the glass has been a niggling concern with this fibreglass backlight frame, and so yesterday I changed the backlight rubber's chromed infill section with black aerial cable (of double the diameter) to tighten the rubber to the glass and to the fibreglass. It was an effort to fit ..using a teaspoon and old (rounded) screwdriver but it's tight in there now.

I guess I'll be wearing sun-cream lotion for the run across so as to not sun and wind-burn me forehead & balding patch..  Open top cars huh ! :rolleyes: 

The trailer tent I've been building . . .

P1030533.thumb.JPG.a78f9dba22029487c85756d9d7bd0b93.JPG

^ Simply a tent on a trailer.  With the clam-shell lid facing into wind, and its timber support stays bracing against boards laid on the ground - I'm hoping it will be quite resilient to even gusty weather conditions and driving rain.  And when still coupled to the TR ..it ought not fly along like a land yacht  :D

P1030370.thumb.JPG.86a28d8b956cb88942bbb77f876998e4.JPG

I have a rubber-backed floor-mat to place directly on the ground, under the telescopic leg.  Because there are no floor boards the standing headroom (into the apex) is just an inch short of 6ft. (180cm).  That's a compromise for me ..but I've positioned that to the zipped doors (one on either side).  Together with its seat., it'll be considerably easier to dress in this than in any one or two man tent I've yet used. The trailer's telescopic extension and therefore bunk infill-board is 27.5" (70cm) long.  That board however is only 24" wide (61cm) so as to allow me to put my feet onto the ground and stand up, even with the bunk board still in place.  The half-decent storage space inside the box is watertight and divided into two. One side for bedding (duvet, pillows, etc) and the other side for anything else (see below).

P1030624s.thumb.jpg.24b0bc73d01062abe8cdd05f02a5cb3d.jpg   P1030346s.jpg.e45ed9881eb6a08eb82f0c42a887cce1.jpg

^ The interior is yet to be finished / trimmed - This is work in progress.  but with due care (..fire risk) and the bunk infill-board removed .. the wrap-around enclosure can be on ..with a door open, with surface under the lid being used for beverage & food preparation ..with cooking essentials and provisions in the locker below.   To keep things lightweight and simple there's no wash basin / sink nor fridge, but of course a plastic bowl and a cool bag are okay for camping.

P1030436.thumb.JPG.9416d0fe2d2e944911c947ca926fb011.JPG

For reference I'm 6'-5" (195.6cm) and 106kg with UK size 12 (46) feet .  The mattress is a just little shy of 2m x 72cm wide x 7.5cm thick.   As you can see, enough space even for a Bfg ..and otherwise a seat to sit on for when putting my odd socks shoes on, food preparation, or whatever.

Using it will help define things better. And then interior trim to finish and tidy over the trailer body's construction.  

Towing wise it's small enough to tuck into the TR's slip-stream and to follow very tightly around corners ..without the risk of catching pedestrians or cyclists with projecting wheel-arches. The trailer is mostly an empty box, sitting upon a tubular steel chassis, so it's lightweight ..but for the lid which I made too flat and had to double in thickness to regain the shape i wanted.  Despite that, I need to experiment with lower tyre pressures to help lessen its bouncing.  It's 250 miles from here to Malvern, and a little more the way I'd like to go.. so we'll see how it goes.

Pete

Edited by Bfg
  • Like 5

Well, here we are, the IWE is upon us.

I do hope it goes well, I really do, for two reasons.   

One this thread appears to be the only one about it on this TSSC message board, and there is less than one pageful of messages of enthusiasm!

And Two, I have an Autojumble stall, No.30, all welcome.    If no one comes it'll be a wasted effort!

See you there, or in the Bar!

John

Hey Bfg.

I hope you have a safe journey.

250 miles with a trailer in tow is quite a challenge 👍

I have to travel 600 miles.

Oops - sorry I meant 60 miles.

Oh dear flipping predictive text, it should have read 6 miles to the show ground.

Guess who’s got a smile on his face😀.

I’m Looking forward to checking out the trailer .

Pete.

A big thank you from me to all those members of TSSC staff and volunteers who made it it such a great event, well it was on Saturday.  Lots to see and the same goes for friends various, even if a three hundred mile round trip in a Mk1 GT6 in the prevailing weather sounds like purgatory to some.  

Shame about the pedestrian entry system to exchange ticket for wristband but NOT the fault of the club(s). 

Dick

IMG_1250.jpg

1 hour ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Shame about the pedestrian entry system to exchange ticket for wristband but NOT the fault of the club(s). 

There was quite a bit of disgruntlement being aired on social media about the entry issues.

Gully

Thanks to all the organisers for putting on this years International at Malvern and also thank you to everyone who turned up in their cars. I thought it was a great weekend and had a great time with great company so well done everyone. I heard there were issues on the gates but as mentioned I understand this was not manned by the clubs. 

I went in via the Brown Gate, as I was Autojumbling, and it was manned by guys wearing "Club Steward" tabards - no probs, most helpful and quick, but there wasn't a queue.

My thanks to all my customers - I was surprised by the things that sold - rusty suspension parts etc . - and by those that didn't, like a pair of good condition Herald/Vitesse doors, but not by a pile of saloon sumps, that will now go for recycling.   I hate throwing things that others might use, so I was glad to sell for even a song.  Couldn't get half of the stuff in my garage in the van, so I'll be back next year.

John

Would like to add thanks for a brilliant weekend to anyone who helped-the entry was a bit of a farce but character building-sure all the social media moaners could have done things much better!!Looking forward to next year after I have sorted  the camping gear we have dumped in the garage before nipping to the pub for a cheap beer

Much the same result as JohnD,  Brown gate on Friday, straight in.  Most desirable parts sold for reasonable money, but also sump pans going to scrap, along with window winder mechanisms and multiple small steel parts... 

I even obeyed SWMBO and bought,    Nothing! 

I scouted your stall, Mark, but it was rather coals to Newcastle, and your items were cleaner than  mine!   On buying rather than selling, next to me was a generalist seller, everything from books on Marilyn Munro to a six inch bench vice.    There, I found this :

17196726788952959073465596522779.thumb.jpg.d824801268720507b7226d10eda96513.jpg

It's a lever-type dial gauge, but the photo doesn't show how small it is - the dial is the size of a pound coin!   One rotation of the dial represents 30 thousandths of an inch!

In its velvet-lined box, it's a jewel-like example of precision engineering, in itself and in its function.   I had to have it, to complement my new (old!) lathe.

John