Alloy wheels & tyres

Thanks for the photos Gary nice to see them in situ.

Noted Pete, thank you. As I will be doing the MGF CV conversion M12 is the logical route for the fronts.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi

What are the issues with the original skinny studs. Mine has these. I just torque up by hand (have always done on vehicles). Don't drive hard/very fast or corner fast.

Am I an accident waiting to happen?.

Been pondering this for a while after all the threads on it.

Cheers, Dave

No its not an accident waiting to happen but

With agism, over tightening and 40+ years of on and off there is little reserve left on these rather small studs and many do unfortunatley suffer from stripping or shearing off mainly on the driveway not on the road

but an adrift wheel can devastate the bodywork if youre motoring

the 12mm 7/16"route is far more bullet proof, in comparison they are its brick sh*thouse

well worth doing when you have the time or inclination.

pete

Hello Dave.

If you do go via the metric option M12, it appears that the Freelander studs are the best value for DECENT items.

I'm only going metric due to fitting MGF hubs on the rear, so need those on each hub for simplicity.

Regards.

Richard.

AsPete says, if the studs have always been correctly used etc and not over tightened they should be fine.

However, over the years and working on maybe 30?? different small chassis cars, many have had one or more stripped nut or stud or both. 

Possibly down to the tyrefitters past and present not checking torques correctly or using rattle guns.

A change to m12 has no downsides (exception being the 1500 type wheels where correct nuts that hold the plastic wheel trims are not available, but a workaround can be done) and does give that bit of extra peace of mind.

On your car I wouldn't worry if you can do all nuts up and no feel of an issue.

There are thousands of Triumph owners out there who have no problem at all and a mere handful who have broken studs. I think it's the combination of abuse by tyre fitters, engine & brake upgrades and spirited driving that breaks the studs.

A change to m12 has no downsides (exception being the 1500 type wheels where correct nuts that hold the plastic wheel trims are not available, but a workaround can be done)

Tell me more about this workaround please Clive!

Cheers, Richard

There are thousands of Triumph owners out there who have no problem at all and a mere handful who have broken studs. I think it's the combination of abuse by tyre fitters, engine & brake upgrades and spirited driving that breaks the studs.

Tell me more about this workaround please Clive!

Cheers, Richard

I have them on my sptfire, but as it is dark, raining and I don't know how to post pics here a description will have to suffice.

Simply took the springs off the plastic trims, and drilled the holes out (20mm? maybe!) and used the taper wheel nuts. I may have added some thin foam (think draught proofing type stuff) to help stop rattling, but it isn't there now.

I think in a lot of cases it's the fitting of the old Carlos Fandango super-wide wheels that causes the bother, as you're often working further out on the wheel studs than standard wheels need to.

Not is any of the cases I have seen. But they were all stripped threads, normally the nuts. So assume just overtightened by some orangutan....

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone. This has probably been covered in other threads but can anyone tell me the current, modern tyre size for my 1972 MkIV Spitfire 1300 with standard steel rims. The old tyres simply say 155/R13,no profile or speed rating. There appears to be a lot of 'science' in choosing tyres today. I just need a set of reliable, safe tyres to replace my 25 year old ones to get through an mot. Any recomendations for brand, dunlop, contis, yokos etc would be gratefully received. Car will just be used for motoring, no rallies or track stuff!!

Thanks Gents. I have looked at the Dunlop, also the Yokohama which also get a good write up in certain quarters and are slightly cheaper via Black Circles (one of their dealers is just down the road), not that I would put cost above safety but every little helps!!

Some of the online suposed cheaper have a clause about thier tyres being pre 2012 and not date stamped

its lost in the small print policies .

if you dont do many miles and and dont need premium tyre performance many of the budget tyres

will do all you need certainly if they age before you wear them out

aging makes the rubber? hard and it has no grip , can be so hard they wont wear out here lies the danger

then the steel bands can corrode internally and you dont know

7 years is the recomended max age you should consider