The Courier Online?

PS Colin,  despite the minimal cost to the Club and maximal convenience to members, at this stage I'm not advocating a digital, online Courier.   Just an archive!

Lol I know... but it still makes me jealous of anyone with good broadband!

Apart from which... there's no substitute for a pile of old Couriers by the loo.... so you can search at your leisure. Or until your legs go numb.

I would like to add, I read the Courier magazine but do not keep it, the previous website where people could ask for help and receive it , with the vast knowledge of members was what made it for me. I have only recently come back on line, having found that you now have the forum reinstated. What a fantastic idea and somewhat slow uptake. Please get this through. What a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be made available on line. At the moment I am having to search google for what the back dated couriers would already have dealt with.

Regards

Shaf

• 2 weeks later...

It would not be a simple or cheap thing to actually do - it may sound simple, and for small organisations with a simple newsletter with a basic website it is simple, but with an archive the size of the TSSCs it would be complex and expensive.

Searchable online archive copies are simple click of a button things to do. No expense beyond a few mouse clicks and 15 minutes work once a month. We have archived and searchable monthly magazines dating back to the mid 50's. Doing this is my 'Day job'.

With all this expertise clearly flying around I am sure the CoM would welcome some voluntary support as to the detail, in which the devil lies, on how to proceed.  Will need a business case to support the logic flow, ensure any burden is not onerously placed on individuals and technical advice from the experts for the benefit of all.

Dick

• Like 1

It's not a case of expertise being required, it's an acceptance that the world has moved on and DIY publish it yourself online is now no harder than posting a picture on Facebook. The artwork to produce the online version already exists at the end of each month with the pages created to print the Courier.

ISSUU is ubiquitous and requires just a few clicks to upload and publish anything, and is used by everyone from major corporates, to Mss Minchin publishing the local knitting circles newsletter.

If anyone is claiming an online magazine is 'hard','complex', 'very technical' or 'expensive', the issue (pun intended), lies with them, not the child's play simple process of online publishing.

F&F, I think the irony of my last post was lost in translation.  I am sure like most things concerning IT usage it is not difficult but you 'do it as a day job' clearly indicates expertise, knowledge and experience in the field that is probably outside the volunteers on the CoM.  If this is something to proceed with, and I feel it probably is, then they will need support to avoid stumbling around learning on the go and reaping the reward of condemnation if things go awry.

• Like 1

Dick,

Every time an IT proposal is made to the TSSC, the response is that it is too risky, too costly or time consuming, and when the Club is is dire financial straights that is understandable.

But something like issuu is so very, very cheap, that in the unlikely event of failure the loss is trivial.   

There is a learning curve to any new system, of course, but the major stumbler is people's fear of failure.

Issuu costs accoring to use: https://issuu.com/pricing?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Remarketing_%7C_Brand_%7C_English&utm_content=Pricing&utm_term=issuu&utm_sitelink=&gclid=CjwKCAjwqcHLBRAqEiwA-j4AyFT5SQyJWK3ZJEk4YXrS5EbW3Ue1p2q6RF-0cSizGLrgBzALDUUK_xoCfaAQAvD_BwE

An individual can use it for nothing.

A "start-up" will pay $19 (£14) a month.

And so on.

Any member of the Club or Courier team could take the free start-up version home and play with it, on their own home computer, and gain experience.   Access  to the PDFs that Courier is printed from would remove the stage of scanning the pages on the hard copy, so that as F&F says, it's a few clicks.    The hard bit will be  learning which order to do the clicks!

Where is the risk?

John

PS re-reading this, it sounds as if I'm saying that F&F has a jammy job!    I hope he'd agree that electronic publishing is a tiny part of his work!

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Today was Com meeting,I put forward that the Forum members would like all the old Couriers digitising with a search facility to make life easier for searching articles etc.

It was voted through with a full house for and none against.

The only problem is we are such a small team now we do not have time to do it so ANY volunteers to start the work email me or call me and I can start the ball rolling.

Thanks Chris

Tssc Chairman

• Like 2

WoW! Ask, and it shall be given unto you!

Well done, Chris! And congratulations to the CoM!

As the onlie (online?) begetter of this thread, I am happy to volunteer.

I would hope that this can be done in a "crowd funding" type of way. I was a volunteer in the digitizing of Dickens' magazine "Home Thoughts". Hundred like me did the editing,but each only did a few issues.

Anyone else?

John

I would be happy to help.

Some intial thoughts on the project.
What program is used to publish the Courier? If it is produced on Adobe InDesign for example it should be easy to save the document in PDF format at the same time as is it sent to the printer.

The printer may also be able to help as they will be using a program to produce the paper version.

For the back history we have scanned copies on CD up to a point. I think it may be possible to resave them in searchable PDF format. I have Adobe Acrobat that includes an Optical Character Recognition facity to convert images of text in a PDF into searchable format version. Other such programs are available.

My only personal experience SAS, as said, helping do the same for Dickens' magazine, "Household Words". We were presented with an image of each page, with a version produced by character recognition. Our job was to correct the often faulty CR text to match the original. The organisers now have the entire run online and searchable: http://www.djo.org.uk/household-words.html

John