Abandoned Vitesse North London

Bordfunker

Cars that are exchanged for new in a scrappage scheme are supposed to be condemned to the crusher - no repreive - although allegedly there were dozens lined up on the runways next to the Bedford Autodrome.

Anyone know the law about cars 'abandoned and impounded'?    Can a third party buy them and save them from the crusher?

John

John.

I have no doubt that the car has an owner as it is currently taxed and MOT'd. However if the insurance has lapsed, that will nullify the tax - so this could be the problem.

However, looking at the car, I wonder if the 2014 tax disc in the window is the cause of the issue; of which some council official has taken this as the evidence rather than making further enquiries. Hopefully the "investigation" will discover that all is well and that the car only requires a good wash !!

Even if a vehicle has been abandoned it still has an owner per se, until the V5 is updated accordingly. Once the council have given notice to remove it, it then becomes the property of the council once the vehicle is lifted on to the trailer - that legislation is via the local government guidelines supported by the over-arcing national policy of such disposal.

Once the car is in the council's or third party possession you will have a battle on your hands to secure such a vehicle from its fate.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard,

Good point regarding the tax disc. I was particularly chuffed with my first tax disc to say "Price £ nill". Then quite disappointed that it turned out to be my last tax disc! It's now several years out off date but still on the windscreen. I think I'll be taking it off to avoid confusion amongst the jobsworths! 

Doug

20 hours ago, classiclife said:

Once the council have given notice to remove it, it then becomes the property of the council once the vehicle is lifted on to the trailer - that legislation is via the local government guidelines supported by the over-arcing national policy of such disposal.

Once the car is in the council's or third party possession you will have a battle on your hands to secure such a vehicle from its fate.

If you've ever tried to rescue anything from a council skip you'll know how difficult this can be if you meet the wrong employee..... someone threw out a lovely metal garage bench a few years ago but one of the 'regulations robots' refused to allow me to retrieve it. One of the other employees lifted it out for me when his back was turned and I retrieved it later in the day.

Once a car is lifted it enters the chain of accountability and responsibility and it's more or less bye bye. The clue in Richard's post is 'third party'... I keep well in with the local vehicle recovery firms and we've saved more than a few nice cars from scrapping over the years.

Some tips apparently, currently, have a recycling scheme where they offer items for sale cheap, sold as seen. Great idea.

Maybe in todays culture of folk suing whenever they can,health/safety, it's not so easy, Or no imagination on the part of Councils.

Shame. Some countries must be gob smacked at what we buy, don't use, then chuck away. 

• 3 years later...

I All

As a returning member to the club I thought I'd check to see if there are any previous mentions about my Vitesse - Came across this thread.

I am happy to say the car has survived, I picked it up from a seller in Potters Bar in September 2020, not sure what happened between 2017. I bought it as a complete project car so over the last 12 months took the body of for lots of chassis & body welding and a complete mechanical going over. I was hoping to bring to a meet but that looks realistically something for 2022.

Its not finished yet but picture attached anyway

Cheers, Tim

IMG_6883.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1