More on MOT exemption

dougbgt6

Ok I wasn’t going to say anything else, but I will just say that the doomsayers were suggesting that the uk economy would collapse straight after the vote. It didn’t. 

I don’t think it will be an easy ride, but I also think long term we will be better off. 

And also the European idea when we joined was fine. It morphed into something else which we never voted for. 

Its a huge shame that both sides of the house didn’t get together to sort it out as it’s bigger than one party 

right that’s it. Stum from me now. Promise. ?

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I will just say that the doomsayers were suggesting that the uk economy would collapse straight after the vote.

No, they weren't. Nobody actually said that, except for the leave campaign's caricaturing  straw men.

12 hours ago, NonMember said:

14 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Ok I wasn’t going to say anything else, but I will just say that the doomsayers were suggesting that the uk economy would collapse straight after the vote. It didn’t.

Not a collapse per se, but I did lose 12% of my pension when sterling took a nose dive which wasn't great. I've moved it all into dollars just to be safe. Wish I'd done that before the surprise win and made 12% instead but ho hum. 

A drop in the £ of 12% IS a collapse, caused entirely by the prospect of Brexit, but we'll ignore that as if it didn't happen. My pension is worth 12% less of what it was. Johnson, Mog and the  rest don't care, they're sitting on enough wealth to absorb the hit and plough on with this madness.

db

Mine still has no Mot. No plans either, but I once I’ve had the paintwork sorted (which means taking off the brake and master cylinder brackets so the bulk head can be tidied up) and possibly changed the front shocks and springs and rear shock, get my local garage to just check the brakes and look underneath for obvious problems. Last mot they cocked up the carbs as they tried to adjust the emissions but just don’t have the experience with them. 

The last time the dollar was 2 to the £ was  2008 before that early 1980s.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/special-reports/from-5-to-122-the-200-year-journey-of-the-pound-against-the-doll/

Bankers make money on decimal point movements of currency over short time scales. A drop of 12% shows something wrong with the economy.

Since March the £ has fallen against the $ by 8% that is not banker manipulation.

db 

There is something wrong with the economy. The uk makes nothing of note and what it does is owned by foreign companies. 

I was told today that even the wool off the sheeps backs goes to China to be processed before being shipped back again. 

What sort of mad world is that?

yes Brexit is having an effect. A large effect. But that is because by and large the Eu is doing it’s level best to screw it up by basically not agreeing to anything and the uk is doing the rest by not sorting its life out and arguing amongst itself. 

On 7/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, Anglefire said:

It’s how all the bankers and investors make money. 

The general public don't seem to like the idea of banks making money. But the city firms I worked for all handled enormous pension funds. The more they make the more the country and pensioners make esp if you add in the tax which is almost 80% of all corporation tax receipts. 

Bankers' (actually 'fund managers' as there's no such job as 'banker') wages are fine too but most people don't understand the scale. I worked with a guy once who earned over a billion pounds one year for the old British Rail pension fund. Is it unreasonable he was on a 1% bonus when a double glazing salesman is on 20%.  It's an amazingly complex job out running the index. Very very few are on wages like that, it's 14hrs day 6 days a week and he slept under his desk. The best ones are weird people, almost savants. Personally I want a premier league fund manager running my little pension pot, not some 3rd division chancer.  If I lose 1% of my money to pay a guy who's made me 10% then I call it a great deal. 

• Thanks 2

.. It's always been the case that people aren't paid what they're worth (ie nurses) but get paid for what they earn their employer. If a footballer earns 250k a week it's because they earn their club 251k. Doesn't seem fair, but that's capitalism. 

Shaun, I have no issue with anyone making money. I’m in business (not mine but my employers) to make money. The company I work for actually make a decent margin but is part of a group of about 20 companies all majority owned by the man who started it all 27 years ago. Some he owns 100% some he owns less. But always at least 51%. 

Overall the group makes about 3% profit. Which is about the norm for the industry. But he also invests in people. We have pre-apprenticeship schemes as well as apprenticeships.

trouble is, you see (me included) the big numbers that some companies make and think it is obscene- £1B’s  and the like. Even £100M seems obscene - but when it’s in the media it’s rarely in context of turnover or size. 

But places like the supermarkets I think make too much money - largely by squeezing their suppliers more. The reason being they have little risk (that they actually carry). A manufacturing company has plenty of risk for example. 

I was once an engineering apprentice and I deeply regret the demise of our industrial past. But 80% of the UKs GDP now comes from service industries, banking, insurance, hedge funds, broking, accountancy and so on. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270372/distribution-of-gdp-across-economic-sectors-in-the-united-kingdom/

A large part of this is done in London which produces 30% of the UKs GDP. Mrs May's master plan for exiting the EU mentions financial services only in the broadest terms, we will sort this out later, apparently.

Lloyds of London is moving to Brussels. Others will follow.

Doug

Given the head quarters of the Eu moves between two cities every 3months. (Or is it more or less than that) at a huge cost in both time, money and environment, the Eu is definitely not green. They merely play lip service to it and expect everyone else to do the same. 

Non of them, except the Uk, play by the rules. If the French don’t like something they just don’t bother with it. Farce. 

We had that with trucks on audits they left out anything contentious and for the same range got much lower demerits than we scored in the UK, we had to visit the french plants and one banned us for ever as we told it how it was , not just score a target and walk away

Were we renowned for sticking to the rules , they just ignore whats not popular

We were not popular either ...

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The biannual moving of the EU parliament is indeed ridiculous waste of time and money, but it can only be changed from the inside. We are shortly to be on the outside with no say over the rules and regulations the EU choose to impose on our trading arrangements. 

As to the French and their automobiles I shall stop buying their horrid 3 cylinder Citroens and stick to good British cars like...……...Peugeot and Ford and Honda. Doh!

db

• Sad 1